What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

been reading a lot more lately and on what I consider a "hot streak" bookwise
good-omens.jpg

which was as good as people told me it would be :)
then I read
252130112_9c79d91888_o.jpg

without a doubt, this is the best 200 page book I have ever read :clap:
Cory Doctorow is a writer I hope writes much, much more :guitar:
& just tonight I finished
Kafkaontheshore.jpg

which is one of the 6 Murakami Haruki novels I recently splurged on
I have loved his novels ever since reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World like 20 years ago and later Norwegian Wood :blushing:
but translations of his works are so difficult to come by or afford, that I had only read a couple more of his books and tended to forget that he had so many out there for me to still read, that was until my recent trip to Socal, there I happened upon a bunch of his books all at once, of the 6 I got, I have already read 2, with Kafka on the Shore being far better than Sputnik Sweetheart &
next up for me starting tomorrow is:
Murakami_After_Dark.jpg

after that, I will finally read his "Rat trilogy" which I have delayed reading any of until I had all 3 of the books in it...

I am reading Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

This is the first time I have read Nietzsche in English and I cannot get used to the fact that "Übermensch" is translated as "Superman". I keep picturing Christopher Reeve in spandex.

I am reading Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

This is the first time I have read Nietzsche in English and I cannot get used to the fact that "Übermensch" is translated as "Superman". I keep picturing Christopher Reeve in spandex.

Which translator?

Hollingdale, 1969 with an introduction.

Walter Kaufmann is generally better, as I understand it (I don't read German). He used "overman" instead of "superman", which sounds worse but at least lacks the comic book echo. Neither sounds very good in English.

9780670918799.jpg

Walter Kaufmann is generally better, as I understand it (I don't read German). He used "overman" instead of "superman", which sounds worse but at least lacks the comic book echo. Neither sounds very good in English.

I don't read German either but Nietzsche is quite widely translated to Danish, which is probably an easier language to translate German into. The Danish word "overmenneske" sounds perfectly fine. "Overman" does not sound good either. Pretty tough job.

I listened to Cemetery Dance by Preston/Child. I've read their other books before and enjoyed them. I think now that was because I tended to skip over lots of filler and just pay attention to the plot. Listening to an unabridged version meant I had to hear every word. They'd write some horrible hackneyed description of something, then repeat practically the same description again every time that person/building/monster came back into the story. It was very annoying.

They repeated the phrase "this way and that" a few times, which brought up the thought of "Stretch Out And Wait." They also mentioned a "Meat Is Murder" sign in a crowd of animal rights activists. This by way of saying the book was not a complete loss.

Overall the writing was terrible, and the plot was mostly predictable. I got tired of hearing the hideously badly portrayed vocalization of the zombie after the first time - the next fifty times my eyes got sore from rolling.

Jean Genet - Diary of a thief

A collection of Icelandic ghost stories. As hardcore as it gets :eek: Highly recommended to anyone into folklore, supernatural, or both.

Just finished:

A Hero Of Our Time - Lermetov
and
Much Ado About Nothing - Shakespeare

Both of which I very much enjoyed.

Struggling with Jane Austen's Emma at the moment.

I recently read 'Sexual Personae' by Camille Paglia, Please Understand Me II (the source of the temperament sorter), and I read Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky months ago. I am going start Freud's "the Interpretation of Dreams" hopefully tonight. I haven't read in awhile prior to reading all these books. I missed reading. :)

and I read Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky months ago.

I love Notes from the Underground! One of my favourite novels and Dostoevskys best together with The Brothers Karamazov. I'm going to see a stage adaptation of the former next month which I'm really looking forward to.

At the moment I'm reading Die Blendung by Elias Canetti. One of the strangest novels I've ever read.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom