What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

He was a very modest, shy and sometimes clumsy but very charming man as I read somewhere.
I think during a tour in England in the sixties for promoting his work and to have discussions with readers of his work he was almost too modest and very much interested in what his readers thought of his books.
He was very nervous, stagefright and healthissues, mainly his blindness, making it hard for him but never complaining. He used to have an enormous glass of cognac before he got on stage.
He attracted quite a large following in those days and when he went from one town to another his pilgrims followed him. Remarkable man and writer.
well i suppose i shall give him another chance with his short stories (i assume i can find them at my library). so ill read the aleph (if i can find it) and let you know what i think!

well i suppose i shall give him another chance with his short stories (i assume i can find them at my library). so ill read the aleph (if i can find it) and let you know what i think!

That's great Rifke.
At the moment I'm into Greec mythology.
Apollo fighting the evil monster of Delphi, with the many arms, tentacles with heads on them.
For every head he chops off there is another one attacking him.
The fight between Good and Evil.
As I tend to sympathize with Apollo it does so cause I believe there will be a time for everybody to stand up, look the Evil in it's ugly face and to fight and to never give up.
I know it is a somewhat Romantic vision but one that is a constant in human history.
The reocurring similarities with many other religions, tales, stories of ancient societies are there.
I'm interested in those aspects and what it tells me.
Cheers

That's great Rifke.
At the moment I'm into Greec mythology.
Apollo fighting the evil monster of Delphi, with the many arms, tentacles with heads on them.
For every head he chops off there is another one attacking him.
The fight between Good and Evil.
As I tend to sympathize with Apollo it does so cause I believe there will be a time for everybody to stand up, look the Evil in it's ugly face and to fight and to never give up.
I know it is a somewhat Romantic vision but one that is a constant in human history.
The reocurring similarities with many other religions, tales, stories of ancient societies are there.
I'm interested in those aspects and what it tells me.
Cheers
i really like greek mythology too! i just wish i could find an interesting book or documentary or something on it. all of those text book like who's who? 's of greek mythology are so boring, in my opinion!

i really like greek mythology too! i just wish i could find an interesting book or documentary or something on it. all of those text book like who's who? 's of greek mythology are so boring, in my opinion!

You are right.
It's not easy to find good books about that here in Holland too and the one I have is an old one with a very old-fashioned translation. From my brother when he studied at the gymnasium. He had to learn Greec and Latin language. But I will keep looking for it.

I like all these stories.
I am fascinated by the story of Oedipus killing his own father without knowing, as he was a rival lover to his mother. The oracle of Delphi, the story of Phoenix rising from his own ashes. Apollo, Zeus, Achilles, Aphrodite, Bachuss, etcetera, etcetera. Also roman mythology, deriving from the Greec.
Did you see the film Medea from Pasolini, with Maria Callas as Medea?
Such great movie!
Cheers Rifke

You are right.
It's not easy to find good books about that here in Holland too and the one I have is an old one with a very old-fashioned translation. From my brother when he studied at the gymnasium. He had to learn Greec and Latin language. But I will keep looking for it.

I like all these stories.
I am fascinated by the story of Oedipus killing his own father without knowing, as he was a rival lover to his mother. The oracle of Delphi, the story of Phoenix rising from his own ashes. Apollo, Zeus, Achilles, Aphrodite, Bachuss, etcetera, etcetera. Also roman mythology, deriving from the Greec.
Did you see the film Medea from Pasolini, with Maria Callas as Medea?
Such great movie!
Cheers Rifke
is it a good one?! i thought it looked a bit boring so i didnt watch it, despite loving both pasolini and maria callas--as well as the story of medea (she's the one who killed her children right?). well maybe i should rent it, then.

is it a good one?! i thought it looked a bit boring so i didnt watch it, despite loving both pasolini and maria callas--as well as the story of medea (she's the one who killed her children right?). well maybe i should rent it, then.

YES!
I like my bit of drama and tragedy and Maria Callas did it for me.
And Pasolini made a great movie.
But I am biased as you know.
By the way, it is in black and white and that has a strange, miraculous effect too.
Well, I guess it sure isn't everybody's favorite nowadays!

YES!
I like my bit of drama and tragedy and Maria Callas did it for me.
And Pasolini made a great movie.
But I am biased as you know.
By the way, it is in black and white and that has a strange, miraculous effect too.
Well, I guess it sure isn't everybody's favorite nowadays!
it's in black and white?! i found it on youtube (as well as a bunch of ingmar bergman movies--all graciously subtitled! o joyous day!) and it's in colour, not black and white! im glad it is--i like black and white sometimes, like for the gospel according to matthew, but i feel like maria callas should be in colour.

it's in black and white?! i found it on youtube (as well as a bunch of ingmar bergman movies--all graciously subtitled! o joyous day!) and it's in colour, not black and white! im glad it is--i like black and white sometimes, like for the gospel according to matthew, but i feel like maria callas should be in colour.

But that is strange.:confused:
I have an old video (vhs) cassette and it was in black and white.
I'm going down to my storage-box and search for it.
Something wrong here.
Let you know. :thumb:

yes, do! it's possible that it was colourized after?

In general it's possible but I don't know about this one.
I hope I am right cause otherwise my memory is starting to play tricks on me. :eek:
Old age does that, but I will find out.

winesburg, ohio by sherwood anderson.
"he was one of those men in whom the force that creates life is diffused, not centralized."
i like his barren style of writing and the short chapters bringing to life individual inhabitants of the small town are like tombstones of people long gone and forgotten

Did he have children with of different women? Nice metaphor.

I'd like to know if people listen to music when they read and if so what kind of music. Is there a musical genre for each for literary genre? Is music a part of your life as a reader?

I'd like to know if people listen to music when they read and if so what kind of music. Is there a musical genre for each for literary genre? Is music a part of your life as a reader?

Never. I can read with the tv on people around etc but it's really hard with music on. I'd never do it myself. When I read at a cafe it always takes me a while to zone it out and that's when it's playing super sod in the background and there's moments where it'll break my concentration.

The masters by c.p snow

Just started I am Charlotte Simmons - Tom Wolfe ..Lot of Basketball talk at the moment.

I'm not reading a book. I'm reading in Medium the interesting discussion some people is involved with about the TV show Dear White People.

Just an example of a conversation

A worte this:
Here’s the thing, Black people can’t ever be accused of racism because the very idea that a community that is continuously submerged under the filth of a mired past and problematic future, can somehow reclaim the disposition of entitlement against a system that was created for their dismemberment — is ludicrous.

B replyed:
The day I know the black man is free, is when we can write and speak for ourselves without inciting unnecessary hate or love for that matter, for whiteness. The day we feel our words hold power all on their own without a single reference, positive or negative, about whiteness.

A said:
I was going to give a full on response to this, but after carefully reading it again I have concluded that it would be best to keep it short and sweet.
My advice would be for you to continue to dwell in your bubble of contentment and leave reality to the rest of us to tackle.

B said:
I live in Lagos, Nigeria. In the same country you come from incidentally. I’m replying this from my computer powered by a small Chinese made generator that will be on all night because there is no electricity. There hasn’t been all day and there wasn’t yesterday too. The current Naira to dollar rate is N506. A bare five/six months ago it was N125 and we thought it was too damn much then. The Nigerian president has gone AWOL for the last 3–4 months. Presumable somewhere in America or the UK. The common consensus being that he’s sick and there is no hospital in Africa good enough he can check into. What are my chances. Only you can manage the mental gymnastics required to think I live in a bubble at all, talk less of a contented bubble. It must be the same way you manage to make Beyonce look like a suffering saint for losing an award to Adele that will be up for grabs again in roughly 10–12 months.
https://medium.com/@Mindkraft/so-why-do-you-so-desperately-need-to-explain-it-then-90ccfc2cae29
I won't give my opinion, just say that my position in life is closer to B, the man from Nigeria, than to Beyonce's. I'm not blaming anyone, because I'm my own master and I hate victim's mentality and chains, even the golden ones. From my humble point of view this discussion about blackness and whiteness is pointless and dangerous. I'm sorry for the ones who (maybe) with good intentions contribute to fuel the fire of social division. Empires are destroyed in this way, from inside. I can imagine the faces of satisfation of Putin and the Chinese guys witnessing this. Let's someone investigate who put the money, who pay propaganda, and we will find the ones who expect to receive benefits from U S social division. The same strategy was used with other big country during the last century and nobody seems to remember it.

Edge of awareness which is a collection of essays from modern writers. Broken up into five categories which are defining oneself and others, searching for meaning in a complex society, attaining a unique place, responding to creative experiences and surviving through science. Some people I recognize like Keats Kerouac graves forester mead and Arthur c Clark but many I don't know. Either anthropologists scientists critics etc. most parts hold up, it was published in 1966, but the surviving through science part is a bit amusing

read this interesting review in the nyrob today. a multi-faceted comparison of trump and hitler. compares many aspects from their penis size to their alliance with the old elites. bottom line: "if we can still effectively protect american democracy from dictatorship, then certainly one lesson from the study of the demise of weimar and the ascent of hitler is how important it is to do it early".
View attachment 41463
Then the cat found some good use of it and peed all over it.

Meooow!

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom