Where is the Lyrical Depth?

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
Just got done with my first listen to "Years of Refusal." I'm struck by two aspects: first, we've already heard the vast majority of the album. The new material introduced on the last tour comes out just fine (IMO) with "Squeezing My Skull" really becoming a strong song. Other than the songs we've already heard, the new material (on first listen) doesn't seem to carry the same weight. I hope my opinion changes.:)

Two, I must confess disappointment with the lyrics. Besides, "Squeezing My Skull" there are really no memorable lyrics from this album. IMO, this is the first Morrissey album in which he fails to deliver the goods: no witty insights, sly one liners, just average run of the mill fair here.

With what seems a plethora of b-sides at the ready, I'm really hoping I get my Morrissey lyrical "tofu and potatoes" in those works.

P.S. I think the band with Morrissey singing with them sounds great. :guitar:

Carol seems kinda interesting lyrically, I reckon.

I couldn't agree more. I've listened and listened and listened again, trying to give it chance and hoping against hope that something would catch my ears. "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" started off with some promise but then builds up to nothing. It's like the first verse has melody then it get's lost in the chorus and never really finds its way back. All the songs, other than Skull and Farewell are lyrically duller than dull. I never thought I would start enjoying listening to other artists more than Morrissey's work. It really sucks!

I never thought I would start enjoying listening to other artists more than Morrissey's work. It really sucks!

My sentiments exactly...:(

Musically, the album is alright but it feels restrained. Towards the end of "Black Cloud" you can hear a guitar solo start but then you quickly realize the song ends. The slow breakdown at the end of "You Were Good in Your Time" is also perplexing: it starts off so promising with the French sound effects added and then builds to nothing.

I've never been one to really mind the music, I listen for Morrissey's words and this album just seems vapid. I'm really quite surprised.:confused:

Last edited:
Oh dear... I've always valued your opinion, Vauxhall. Unless you're talking about America ;) I shall try to listen with an unbiased ear in February. Good luck, I know. ;)

"Bailiffs with bad breath/I will slit their throats for you"

No one else would even think about such a line..:)

I would say the opposite to be honest, great lyrics, not so great music..

Only just listened though, some of my favourite albums of all time I have HATED on first listen. Plus a crappy MP3 will never beat the sound of a CD or vinyl record which we are all promising to buy in Feb!!!

How about..

"It's not your birthday anymore
there's no need to be kind to you
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone
It's not your birthday anymore
did you really think we meant
all those syrupy, sentimental things
that we said?"

On top form here if you ask me..but the production and arrangement lets it down very badly. Hey ho..ask me after another 80 odd listens

Music is certainly subjective and for the record the first two songs begin the album with a wonderfully furious pitch. For me the album spirals downward from there; however as you wrote it's a first listen. I WANT it to improve.:)

As for great lyrics, you really think this compares with Vauxhall & I? Perhaps if I'd never heard the two songs from Greatest Hits and the ones played on tour I'd have a vastly different opinion - but I did, so I don't. Personally, I find "Children in Pieces" lyrical richer than anything on the album.

As for throat slitting, I'll take: "And a man who slits throats/Has time on his hands/And I'm going to get you" any day, any day, any day....:):):)

"Bailiffs with bad breath/I will slit their throats for you"

No one else would even think about such a line..:)

I would say the opposite to be honest, great lyrics, not so great music..

Only just listened though, some of my favourite albums of all time I have HATED on first listen. Plus a crappy MP3 will never beat the sound of a CD or vinyl record which we are all promising to buy in Feb!!!

How about..

"It's not your birthday anymore
there's no need to be kind to you
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone
It's not your birthday anymore
did you really think we meant
all those syrupy, sentimental things
that we said?"

On top form here if you ask me..but the production and arrangement lets it down very badly. Hey ho..ask me after another 80 odd listens

Sadly, I also find Children in Pieces better musically and lyrically than most of the tracks on YOR.

It's so sad, I feel pretty much the same after one listen (and after reading the leaked lyrics a couple of weeks ago). It's like we've heard it all before, nothing's changed (I still love you?)...

I'm kind of disappointed at the moment, and I badly want this feeling to go away.

Oh, and I agree about Children in Pieces. My Dearest Love was really strong too. Shame they have been almost ignored.

I`m a bit sad too, because I agree.

Earlier he had stories to tell (Even YATQ are full of them with America, Jesus, Couldn`t last)

On ROTT and YOR his lyrics has become more personal, and with that he serves us too much "i still love you, though I can not have you" and "I`m already dead"

Maybe you cynics just need to dig a little deeper, beyond High School English Introduction to Metaphors. This thread is vapid.

Yeah but Mozzie love on the floor?!? :horny:

HAHA absolutely :horny:

I think YOR is a step up since ROTT, anyway I look at it. But I've said id more than I should have, lyrics haven't been superb for a long time now.
It has to do with the calm that comes with age I suppose. He's not tortured anymore :tears: (you know what I mean!)

Then came an arm around my shoulder
well surely the hand holds a revolver?

Best rhyme since Stars/Reservoirs

See to me this still just comes from Morrissey's Big Book Of Modern Day Cliches.

We get it already Steven - nobody understands you, nobody wants your love, judges are proper rubbish. We. Get. It.

As I said in another thread, lyrically it feels like he's trying to write "A Morrissey Song" instead of a Morrissey song.

The lyrics are the least interesting thing on this record.

Bear in mind this is a record by a solo artist, thats pretty bad.

Then bear in mind this solo artist is Morrissey and it's pretty much inexcusable.

For those of you here that perhaps like Ryan Adams - Years of Refusal seems to be Moz's equivalent of Cardinology.

I am also dissapointed after my first listen,apart from something is squeezing my skull and mama the only song that stands out is its not your birthday anymore,this song starts out brilliant and really goes somehere but his wailing in the 2nd half of the song goes on a bit,
my view of things are he had 7yrs to write (lyrically and musically) some absolute crackers for yatq , and i think as of the morrissey now, bringing out an album every 2 yrs i feel with more time between each album the quality would be richer (lyrically and music),,
yatq deluxe version was a cracking collection of songs along with the extra tracks ie,friday mourning,,mexico etc (which may i say are far better than y.o.r),but these songs came in a 7 yr break(recording wise)

I am gonna wait for the deluxe version of y.o.r and hope for some cracking b sides...
I feel morrissey is like a mature wine the longer you leave him write, the quality from him is much better...steve.

wow, a lot of negative reviews here... honestly, i didn't even finish my first listen. got to the middle of the album and decided to go back in a few days. hopefully, i'll be in a different mood or something will change, but so far count me in with those who are mostly disappointed. so sorry to say that

wow, a lot of negative reviews here... honestly, i didn't even finish my first listen. got to the middle of the album and decided to go back in a few days. hopefully, i'll be in a different mood or something will change, but so far count me in with those who are mostly disappointed. so sorry to say that

So basically, you haven't bothered to listen to it but still feel qualified to dismiss it.

Personally I really like the opening lyrics from "Its not your birthday anymore" - it actually says something to me about my life at the moment were I am trying to stay out of a situation but increasingly find myself drawn in against my better judgement

"Your voice it might say 'no'
but the heart has a will of its own
your voice it might say 'no'
but the heart has a heart of its own"

but I guess most of the lyrics do lack a certain gravitas and they dont really rummage through the emotional laundry like they used to but Morrissey is moving and adapting - a good thing? After all he can only write How Soon Is Now; TIALTNGO etc once and its unrealistic to expect these standards all the time. I also think the album sounds great; huge even but I agree a certain something (someone?) is missing in the music but he is still my hero and a genius and always will be and even on this album he is more interesting than anyone else out there! :guitar:

Tags
delusional learn to read learn to spell lol at cg passive-aggressive
Back
Top Bottom