Where is the Lyrical Depth?

Just spent 3 hours playing the album very loud for the first time (abstained from the dl) and it is, in my opinion, and to quote, "utterly brilliant". It's too early in the process to elucidate in words why it is so. That will come later, after living with it for a while. But the point is, after 3 hours I am tingling with excitement, adrenalin and anticipation at the thought of living with it for a while. Whereas with some previous albums, at the same initial stage, I was confused, wary and nervous ('Maladjusted, 'Quarry' to name 2). But then I've grown to LUV both of those, so......?
But just to say one thing that I felt quite pointedly during 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' regarding lyrical depth. I don't know what it says about me or my appreciation of lyrical art (and right now I don't actually care) but I would take just that one closing minute long vocalised 'climax' to 'Birthday' over a hundred 'well Caligula would have blushed's, etc, any day of the week.
Or as King Leer put it perfectly elsewhere regarding the words on 'Years of Refusal' ~ " Don't read them, don't quote them, just listen to the man sing them and you will be sated. "
It may indeed be the case that Morrissey, now, is a greater vocalist than lyricist. After listening to 'Years of Refusal' I can't say that I have a problem with that.
~ Sated on Saturday :)

Beautiful review!

I still think it's his best album ever, and it's getting even better with repeated listening.

Beautiful review!

I still think it's his best album ever, and it's getting even better with repeated listening.

Thank you.
Oh well, in that case, I better just have another quick (7) goes.........:thumb:

Ophelia, duh

Haha.
Nice.
In someway that works.

'nobody wants myyy love, nobody neeeeeds my love' on repeat at the end of a single, AT THIS POINT in his career is only SELF PARODY, and is cringey. he shouldn't be allowed to say things like that at this point. i know he is lyrically brilliant and that's what makes it frustrating, i want to SEE it- i want him to kick every stereotype or surpass it with such wit and brilliance that they become moot points.

Sadly true.
It seems it's usually the case when a lot of artists come back after a long gap.
Doubt they're any NIN fans here, but Trent's a perfect example.

To those listening mainly for the hooks and music, this is easily the most accessible Morrissey album ever. It should sell and chart well. It's good pop music and ranks right up there with Pink and other artists of that ilk.

It seems this is the case.
The word accessible scares me; It seems to be ominous of a Morrissey out of touch with his old wit and other peccadilloes.
Well, that is if it's even an omen anymore.

In my own opinion I think this is kind of like Southpaw.
It's "the band's album".
It's easily debatable.
The music does seem to outrank Morrissey at times but when the music isn't top-notch (if you can call it that) Morrissey saves it.

Black Cloud does give me a vitriolic feeling after a listen to it.
That guitar solo could have saved it.

These songs I think are obviously superior:

Something Is Squeezing My Skull (Probably best on the record.)
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed (Well, maybe this is the best. :p)
When Last I Spoke To Carol
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore (I love the wailing. :))

I think those four are examples of when Morrissey and the band connect almost perfectly.

Last edited:
All You Need is Me and That's How People Grow Up are excellent pops tunes as well.

I like to consider those as stand alone singles / additions to the new best of album however.

Tags
delusional learn to read learn to spell lol at cg passive-aggressive
Back
Top Bottom