Who do you prefer - The Smiths or Morrissey as a solo artist?

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
I’d personally say as a solo artist.

The back catalogue is better & his voice has gotten better with age. When he was in his 30s, he was awesome, that was him at his absolute peak.

I got into Morrissey as a solo artist first though, maybe that’s why I prefer him on his own.

🤒

Moz solo albums of course where he has peeps who can play their instruments not mediocre twats like 👉💂‍♀️👈
and the lawnmowers🤬

🤒

Moz solo albums of course where he has peeps who can play their instruments not mediocre twats like 👉💂‍♀️👈
and the lawnmowers🤬
Marr was good in The Smiths, & Electronic (first album anyway, & some of the second).

Since then, nothing really. A bit of decent stuff with Talking Heads & Pet Shop Boys, but mainly just living off his name.

His solo stuff is dire. He can’t sing.

Marr was good in The Smiths, & Electronic (first album anyway, & some of the second).

Since then, nothing really. A bit of decent stuff with Talking Heads & Pet Shop Boys, but mainly just living off his name.

His solo stuff is dire. He can’t sing.
He was constantly working. He got back as a guitarlist in bands and that's an decent act. Being great guitarlist and doing experiment with all different musicians was his career goal after the Smiths. I don't think that's easier way than staying in one band and doing the same thing all the time. If artists doesn't show up much in the media people just tends to underestimate their works' value.

Morrissey's lyrics have been consistently great; Smiths or solo.

Nobody on this rock can deny that.

My favourite Morrissey record is Mountjoy. No Smiths record is as great as that recording. Mountjoy is probably one of the best records written in the 21st Century.

If Dylan's Murder Most Foul is Number 1, Morrissey's Mountjoy is Number 2.

MORRISSEY in all its versions.
He is my favorite singer of all time he is the 1 ,the alpha and the omega

Morrissey in The Smiths is, forever, my favourite lyricist.

Morrissey as a solo artist is, forever, my favourite lyricist and singer.

M all day long.32 years and still going.

Paul weller, Ian brown, noel Gallagher, Johnny Marr, Paul McCartney, and many others are solo artists. They write their own songs and play the instruments. Steve p morrissey isn't and never has been. He's only ever been the singer/lyricist in a pop group. With Marr, the pop group was called the smiths. Since Marr, the pop group has been branded as 'morrissey'. But he has never been a solo artist in any meaningful sense of the phrase. End of.

🤒

FFS :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is the only songwriter peeps pray give up songwriting:thumbsdown:
hes given songwriting a bad name.:thumbsdown:

he flocks up everything he is involved in thats why sooner that later he has MANY MANY times
given the:
tenor.gif

Paul weller, Ian brown, noel Gallagher, Johnny Marr, Paul McCartney, and many others are solo artists. They write their own songs and play the instruments. Steve p morrissey isn't and never has been. He's only ever been the singer/lyricist in a pop group. With Marr, the pop group was called the smiths. Since Marr, the pop group has been branded as 'morrissey'. But he has never been a solo artist in any meaningful sense of the phrase. End of.
Good point. He's never been a true meaning of "solo artist". There were always songwriting partners and they played significant role in his "solo" music.

Back
Top Bottom