Why do some people think Morrissey cant sing

To be quite honest when I first heard the Smiths I truly hated Morrissey's voice :eek: I don't know what changed, mind you, but now I love it, of course :)

Nowadays his voice is very smooth and rich and has a lovely crooning quality, and is to the general public nicer than it was in the Smiths. D'you know what I mean? Listen to songs like Jeane, Miserable Lie, maybe What Difference Does it Make...to me, that sounds brilliant, and I'm sure people will agree that Morrissey's raw, untrained voice in those songs gave them their own life and emotion.

To a person who doesn't really have any interest in the Smiths or Moz, however, I'm afraid early Morrissey sounds something like a cat being strangled. Right now, though, I'm surprised anyone could possibly say he can't sing. Maybe they don't like his voice, but he's obviously talented. I don't like, say, Rhianna, but I don't deny she can sing.

Because sometimes his voice reminds me of Kermit the Frog.

I love his voice and listen to him everyday, but I don't think Morrissey is a 'great' singer in the same way as a Sinatra or a Scott Walker.
But of course he's much more than just a singer. His voice is just a component of the whole package which constitutes his art.

I found this¡¡¡¡¡

WE WILL RESUME 1/06/09

I am very pleased to confirm that we will resume at Luxembourg this coming Friday (5 June), absorbed and collected. I have been reconstructed by a Wiltshire hospital and I am as close to good health as I'm likely to get.

I apologize to everyone caught up in the to-ing and fro-ing, but the disappointment of postponement is less than the disappointment of hearing me sing on one engine.

I should stress that nothing has been canceled. The four London concerts are repositioned in July, and both Birmingham and the Royal Albert Hall are October fixtures. I've endured a titanic struggle against an intolerable virus lately, and although Hull, Hartlepool and Manchester were nights that comprised a whole life, the physical limits were reached. False notes crush the soul.

Besides Luxembourg and beyond, I am excited about the October release of Swords, which is an 18-track compilation of b-side of singles from the last three albums. This will be a Polydor release.

Thanks to everyone who bought 'Years of Refusal'. We were the number one seller in the UK for the week of release, but, as with 'You Are The Quarry' and 'Your Arsenal', we were booted off the number one spot on the last hour of the final day. We cried.

I would like to point out that some passable creature is using my name and sending sharply chiseled replies to people via Twitter, MySpace and Facebook. This person is not me. Not enough happens in my life that I would wish to share it with others. I do not scan these sites – or whatever they are - so I can only hope that whoever is posing as me is at least worth talking to. Beware of false imitations.

Thanks for reading these unvarnished facts, and thanks for giving us some greatly enjoyable nights on the Refusal tour.

Absolutely yours,
Morrissey.

« Bac khttp://www.itsmorrisseysworld.com/story.php?newsID=68

Re: I found this¡¡¡¡¡

Because everyone's opinion is different. The mainstream hails Beyonce as this great musical enigma and I think she sounds horrible.

His voice isn't for everyone ..I feel sick when I hear Mick Hucknall..

I think he has a good unique voice,the early live smiths stuff is the best as it sounded just like the record,but ive heard some bad live stuff!
I do hate it when he leaves words out and grunts etc!
The worst live song i heard was the queen is dead he was making silly noises and grunting etc but ive heard him sing it properly live(recorded) so.........
i dont think morrissey live is the best way to show him off to new listeners :)
Hateful of hollow and quarry i always seem to play to unsure listeners and they like it :)
Id admit he cant sing the smiths tunes like he could in the 80s but thats natural as hes 50 now,and thats why i love quarry! its the best of his matured voice :) :thumb:

Why do people think Morrissey "can't sing"? Because he doesn't!

Moz comes from that post-punk era ('79-'86), where many of his contemporaries considered themselves "voices", not singers. He may have had some rudmentary vocal coaching, but otherwise his voice is what it is. Very raw and emotional.

What makes him special as a voice is that there is an unusual emphasis on what is being sung, rather than how it is sung. It is meant to be heard. You can hear every word nunciated, unlike today's popular singers. They can sing "f*** you" to you and you would never know it, and in a sense, they do.

I would say now that despite his recent health problems, Morrissey's voice is stronger and more pleasant than ever. He is not afraid to challenge himself technically, either and that is rarely recognized.

I don't know if anyone remembers that article released around the time of Ringleaders about how Morrissey doesn't use autotune on the song "Dear God, Please Help Me" but just lets his voice rip, whether he makes the note or not?

I will try to Kewpie it. :lbf:

KEWPIED: the article link:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/17/0422229

Last edited:

His voice isn't for everyone ..I feel sick when I hear Mick Hucknall..

:lbf::lbf::lbf: me too, I also feel the same way Frank Gallagher felt when he thought he was stood next to him so he headbutted him, quite a few times.

Back
Top Bottom