why is morrissey being so active?

crotty32

don't get me wrong,i will go to brixton and the palladium as i have seen him there before and they are great venues but as i have mentioned in other posts i firmly believe he is sounding superb,looking great and the set list pleases everyone with the big singalongs and anthems,i believe the band is a vital part in his live performance and they recieve too much criticsism in my opinion,my question is is he putting too much pressure on himself?i would go to see morrissey as often as i can as i get so much from the concert but is he being too busy?

Hello Tony!

This is the business he's in, so putting in the hours is all part and parcel. There is also the finance and logistics of the tour to consider. It's a lot easier to keep the show on the road as a functioning unit than it is to keep stopping and starting. With no record deal and the book in the horizon he needs to get his face out and about. I'm sure that Morrissey will know when he needs to step back a gear or two, but as you rightly point out, he seems to be thriving from it.

You should have come to Hop Farm and watched Iggy Pop. That's active!

See you in Brixton. Your round I think? :thumb:

Stephen

Because he needs a record deal and to drum up some publicity for the forthcoming book.

That book (whenever it happens) will self itself Amy. No tour needed for that.

That book (whenever it happens) will self itself Amy. No tour needed for that.

I'd like to think that, but I honestly doubt it. Of course the diehards will buy it, but Moz' record sales have been dwindling steadily for a long time and he's alienated a lot of fans with his bitterness and sniping, both in interviews and in the recent ridiculous 'T-shirt' fiasco. I'd say the majority of casual listeners just remember him as the whining singer of a depressing 80s band, with a suspicious history of semi-racist remarks and a penchant for 'controversy'. Who wants to read the life story of a man like that? Moz needs/needed this tour to salve the bad taste left by the last one, and to prove to his fans/the record-buying public in general that his voice and talent are as sharp as ever. I hope to God the book is not as bitter as he has been lately.

I told my neighbour, who's 73,that I was off to see Moz in Bradford.I asked if she'd ever heard of him. "Morrissey? Who hasn't?"

Don't half talk some tosh on here sometimes.
Morrissey is a singer, so he sings. If he doesn't tour for half-an-hour some of you start threads saying "why is Morrissey so quiet, has he retired/died/become a hells angel../"etc.
When he tours we get nonsense like this thread.
Just listen to the songs if you like them, don't if you don't.
Go to the concerts if you want to, don't if you don't.
Why you have to fill your heads and time with speculation and conjecture about some singer's motives for getting out of bed is beyond me.
Sheesh.

Last edited:
I told my neighbour, who's 73,that I was off to see Moz in Bradford.I asked if she'd ever heard of him. "Morrissey? Who hasn't?"

I'd love a neighbour like that. Can you imagine, leaning over the garden wall and discussing the merits and de-merits of "Kill Uncle" !

Didn't you hear? Action is his middle name. He can't waste time anymore.

The simple response is that he isn't.
His stock was, arguably, at its lowest ebb earlier this year. He's had his worst ever positions in the singles and albums charts, and this followed on from widespread condemnation for his 'subspecies' comments about the Chinese last year which, this time, he didn't even try to defend (unlike the NME stitch-up).
I expect he was pretty nervous about announcing a new tour. So, instead of the usual UK tour where he would play to around 40,000 people, he announced a mini-tour of very small venues with a total capacity of about 5,000 people. This guaranteed that the tour would sell out, and that there would be a buzz.
He (or his manager) somewhat disingenuously announced that these would be his only UK dates for this year.
Once they sold out rapidly, he added some more. Having played an absolute blinder to a decent size crowd at Hop Farm, he now has the confidence to play some proper London shows - just two dates announced so far but he would normally sell out twice this number of seats in London.
So, basically, he announced a tiny tour, and by adding these London dates (and any more to come), he's just building it up to a size approaching his usual UK tours, so it's not really a case of being 'so active' at all.

I think you're wrong here Amy. I know lots of people (well, about 5!) who are mad about the Smiths but have virtually zero interest in his post Smiths songs. They remain interested in Morrissey as a pop person, and sometimes go to see him live, but don't have any inclination to buy his most recent album. I mentioned the tour recently and one of them said that he wasn't interested but (unprompted) that he was looking forward to the autobiography.
Many people who loved the Smiths remain fascinated by Morrissey, and would definitely buy the book, but just don't think his albums are worth getting (personally, I'm the opposite. I'd take a single new song over a copy of the biog). It's like when Q noted that their magazine sales in the 90's soared dramatically when Morrissey graced the cover even at times when his records were hardly selling at all.
For me it's a bit like Jarvis Cocker. I'm always interested in what he has to say, as a flamboyant, articulate pop person, but I'd never buy his albums (Pulp or solo) coz I just don't think the songs are that good.

I'd like to think that, but I honestly doubt it. Of course the diehards will buy it, but Moz' record sales have been dwindling steadily for a long time and he's alienated a lot of fans with his bitterness and sniping, both in interviews and in the recent ridiculous 'T-shirt' fiasco. I'd say the majority of casual listeners just remember him as the whining singer of a depressing 80s band, with a suspicious history of semi-racist remarks and a penchant for 'controversy'. Who wants to read the life story of a man like that? Moz needs/needed this tour to salve the bad taste left by the last one, and to prove to his fans/the record-buying public in general that his voice and talent are as sharp as ever. I hope to God the book is not as bitter as he has been lately.

Will Self? Are you telling us it's been ghost written Charlie? :lbf:

Ha ha, exactly what I thought when i saw this. genius. I saw Will last year cycling down Exhibition Rd with his lovely little doggy in the front basket and for some reason I said 'Will' as if he were an acquaintance I hadn't seen in a while.......frightfully embarrassing. He looked at me for a few seconds then looked away. Funny.

Ha ha, exactly what I thought when i saw this. genius. I saw Will last year cycling down Exhibition Rd with his lovely little doggy in the front basket and for some reason I said 'Will' as if he were an acquaintance I hadn't seen in a while.......frightfully embarrassing. He looked at me for a few seconds then looked away. Funny.

I've met him once, about 15 years ago, so before he was catapulted into fame after being caught taking drugs on the Tory Election Campaign flight. He spoke about fridge noises!

I'd say the majority of casual listeners just remember him as the whining singer of a depressing 80s band, with a suspicious history of semi-racist remarks and a penchant for 'controversy'. Who wants to read the life story of a man like that?

If he marketed it as that, he'd get plenty of sales! The public love a bit of controversy.

Many people who loved the Smiths remain fascinated by Morrissey, and would definitely buy the book, but just don't think his albums are worth getting (personally, I'm the opposite. I'd take a single new song over a copy of the biog). It's like when Q noted that their magazine sales in the 90's soared dramatically when Morrissey graced the cover even at times when his records were hardly selling at all.

I don't think casual Smiths fans would really be interested to the extent that they would buy the autobiography; obviously he's going to cover much more ground than 1982-87, and wouldn't it be...well, a waste? If they have no interest in his music post-Smiths and just think he's a charismatic rent-a-quote then they'd be better off buying Mozipedia/Severed Alliance and leaving it at that. I certainly wouldn't waste money on the autobiography of someone I only had a passing interest in for a few short years of their career!

I don't think casual Smiths fans would really be interested to the extent that they would buy the autobiography; obviously he's going to cover much more ground than 1982-87, and wouldn't it be...well, a waste? If they have no interest in his music post-Smiths and just think he's a charismatic rent-a-quote then they'd be better off buying Mozipedia/Severed Alliance and leaving it at that. I certainly wouldn't waste money on the autobiography of someone I only had a passing interest in for a few short years of their career!

As long as it isn't a 600 page version of the Russell Brand interview, it's fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom