"Why Morrissey’s downfall echoes the messy demise of The Smiths" by Ed Power - The Independent

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
Why Morrissey’s downfall echoes the messy demise of The Smiths - The Independent
As pariah status beckons for Morrissey, Ed Power looks back on the downfall of one of the most important bands of the Eighties

Excerpt:
As Morrissey prepares to release his 13th solo album, I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, it feels instructive to reflect on the demise of The Smiths. The group has, after all, cast a shadow over everything he has done in the past 33 years.

The obvious reason for looking back is that for the Morrissey of today, there is a sense of looming finality. Pariah status beckons for the former generational icon. His 2019 endorsement of the far right New Britain party, and his claim – the latest in a series of outrageous outbursts – that “everyone ultimately prefers their own race”, have pushed him past respectability for many former fans. The campaign to “cancel” Morrissey gathers pace. Might I Am Not A Dog On A Chain ring a closing bell on his life as mass-market entertainer?

This is rather a curious article. It is primarily a retelling of the end of The Smiths, with some emphasis on the band's manager at the time, Ken Friedman. But the stuff about Morrissey's fall from grace due to his recent-ish right-wing, anti-immigration sentiments is sort of nailed onto the front of the article, presumably to try and make the rest of it relevant in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
"downfall"? What "downfall"?

IMG-3092.png

Why Morrissey’s downfall echoes the messy demise of The Smiths

This is rather a curious article. It is primarily a retelling of the end of The Smiths, with some emphasis on the band's manager at the time, Ken Friedman. But the stuff about Morrissey's fall from grace due to his recent-ish right-wing, anti-immigration sentiments is sort of nailed onto the front of the article, presumably to try and make the rest of it relevant in some way.

It's really strange, isn't it? Clickbait, really, but such a bizarre way of addressing the fact that he's got a new album out.

And bloody hell that Independent website is such a mess.

Shoehorn Alert: apparently as pariah status beckons for Morrissey (it's not beckoning, it's waving a slow goodbye) it echoes the end of The Smiths (in which he wasn't a pariah, he was just very, very difficult).

Why not just admit he's a great artist with no diplomacy?

Shoehorn Alert: apparently as pariah status beckons for Morrissey (it's not beckoning, it's waving a slow goodbye) it echoes the end of The Smiths (in which he wasn't a pariah, he was just very, very difficult).

Why not just admit he's a great artist with no diplomacy?
I enjoyed all of the article though, except for the bit about Moz being a pariah. It seems the reviewer would prefer homogenised zombie society where everyone thinks the same.

I enjoyed all of the article though, except for the bit about Moz being a pariah. It seems the reviewer would prefer homogenised zombie society where everyone thinks the same.

The pariah bit was a fig leaf. They just wanted to publish an interesting bit of Morrissey gossip.

This is a fantastic story tbh. If it were me, I'd spin it and imply that they Smiths will reunite. I certainly hope they do!
Johnny is attaching himself to the Killers as the opener for an impressive arena tour laster this year.

Maybe 2021? Honestly, I don't ever see it happening. I didn't think it would happen prior to Morrissey's support for For Britain but with that being where he is now I don't think Johnny would want to attach himself to that.

At this point the guy most likely to rejoin The Smiths is Mike Joyce and Morrissey would sooner be found selling bacon cheeseburgers in Tel Aviv.

Hi! How are you? We were expecting you and others like you...especially now, the week of Morrissey's glorious new release...to sh!t out another partisan hack piece that reminds your woken, hateful, intolerant followers why Morrissey is a threat to your failed radical beliefs, your dying European Union, and soon to be gutted New World Order. You know that many followers of the Smiths have turned away from failed from liberal policies in both Europe and the United States, you cannot have a renegade voice questioning either liberal or conservative policies, especially those of the left! Through the platform of your liberal media employer you create a false atmosphere that Morrissey is despised and left isolated by his long time fans. Is that really true? Have you succeeded in cancelling one damn concert in the last two weeks, let alone year? Have you been triumphant in making his new album so toxic that it is not even in the U.K. top 100 Amazon presale? Have you been able to demonize him so that he is unable to headline a major music festival that sold out in less than an hour and went on to headline a coveted residency at Caesar's Palace? Admit it...he is a threat to your own dying world view...the European experiment with 'immigration on steroids'is and has been an unmitigated failure...world governments such as the European Union do nothing except promote and sustain the wealthy, liberal elites who claim to be so empathetic toward the poor...this reviewer knows nothing of the real world or Morrissey...at best, you sing to your hypocritical choir, in reality, the reader who is truly knowledgeable, yawns.....

This hack is such a racist he thinks Morrissey's mostly Mexican band is white-ish & the South American horns are medieval Albion. And he yearns for the all white The Smiths (as usual).

Moz has hardly mentioned any politicians never mind dedicating a show to them. And he still hates the Tories & is anything but the establishment.

Also suspect the hack's a homophobe.

Still, Moz is getting attention after they'd supposedly done with him.

Also that cartoon could be a hate crime against vegans. They're a belief protected in law now.

Reread. It's gold dust. A perfect example of a white heterosexual man giving a Mexican band & a gay singer a kicking for being marginal & 'sinister' while thinking it's Moz & not himself who is the mainstream establishment.

The Smiths were listening to Sign of the Times by Prince while recording at Wool Hall. I find that interesting.
I have a feeling IANADOAC could be Moe's Final recording. Hope I'm wrong. Big Kiss.

This hack is such a racist he thinks Morrissey's mostly Mexican band is white-ish & the South American horns are medieval Albion. And he years for the all white The Smiths (as usual).

Moz has hardly mentioned any politicians never mind dedicating a show to them. And he still hates the Tories & is anything but the establishment.

Also suspect the hack's a homophobe.

Still, Moz is getting attention after they'd supposedly done with him.

Also that cartoon could be a hate crime against vegans. They're a belief protected in law now.

Reread. It's gold dust. A perfect example of a white heterosexual man giving a Mexican band & a gay singer a kicking for being marginal & 'sinister' while thinking it's Moz & not himself who is the mainstream establishment.

That‘s a brilliant review.:thumb:

?? :knife:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom