"Why Morrissey’s downfall echoes the messy demise of The Smiths" by Ed Power - The Independent

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
Why Morrissey’s downfall echoes the messy demise of The Smiths - The Independent
As pariah status beckons for Morrissey, Ed Power looks back on the downfall of one of the most important bands of the Eighties

Excerpt:
As Morrissey prepares to release his 13th solo album, I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, it feels instructive to reflect on the demise of The Smiths. The group has, after all, cast a shadow over everything he has done in the past 33 years.

The obvious reason for looking back is that for the Morrissey of today, there is a sense of looming finality. Pariah status beckons for the former generational icon. His 2019 endorsement of the far right New Britain party, and his claim – the latest in a series of outrageous outbursts – that “everyone ultimately prefers their own race”, have pushed him past respectability for many former fans. The campaign to “cancel” Morrissey gathers pace. Might I Am Not A Dog On A Chain ring a closing bell on his life as mass-market entertainer?

This is rather a curious article. It is primarily a retelling of the end of The Smiths, with some emphasis on the band's manager at the time, Ken Friedman. But the stuff about Morrissey's fall from grace due to his recent-ish right-wing, anti-immigration sentiments is sort of nailed onto the front of the article, presumably to try and make the rest of it relevant in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t read it... cant be bothered with articles like this.... once the comparison starts with the smiths and moz... I think I’d rather read the conservative manifesto in Swahili

It's really strange, isn't it? Clickbait, really, but such a bizarre way of addressing the fact that he's got a new album out.

And bloody hell that Independent website is such a mess.
Johnny is attaching himself to the Killers as the opener for an impressive arena tour laster this year.

Maybe 2021? Honestly, I don't ever see it happening. I didn't think it would happen prior to Morrissey's support for For Britain but with that being where he is now I don't think Johnny would want to attach himself to that.

At this point the guy most likely to rejoin The Smiths is Mike Joyce and Morrissey would sooner be found selling bacon cheeseburgers in Tel Aviv.

I think you're right that Mike Joyce is the one most eager for a Smiths reunion. I've read where Andy Rourke said he regretted playing with Morrissey after the Smiths.

Whether you concur that this is a 'downfall' depends on your stance on cancel culture and how invested you are in Twitter. Those with the ability to separate artist from art would perhaps take a different view...

Whether you concur that this is a 'downfall' depends on your stance on cancel culture and how invested you are in Twitter. Those with the ability to separate artist from art would perhaps take a different view...
So you're fine giving money to someone who supports bigots and racists. Because you can separate the artist and the art. Well done on that.

How many Skrewdriver albums do you have?

This and the Quietus article are total cobblers.

Even the NME likes Moz again.
But for how long though???? No doubt NME will blame Moz for the world wide virus.... a 10 year legal battle kicks , you know the score!!!

The Smiths ended because Johnny Marr ran away. :cry: The little boy was set free.

So you're fine giving money to someone who supports bigots and racists. Because you can separate the artist and the art. Well done on that.

Islam is not a race.

Being a bigot against a religion is a good start.. I just hope he can soon become a bigot toward them all and we can live in a secular world.

Oh no!!! Morrissey wore a pin on his lapel!!!!

Thousands (not millions) of people are going to buy concert tickets and buy his music and merchandise.. he must be stopped spreading his puny message to a puny group of people.

Your argument that you come here because you are trying to stop bigots is dishonest. Not only is the size of the audience too small it's obvious that this group of people you are targeting is chosen because you used to (and somehow still continue to be) part of it. Whatever has you this upset is bigger than a For Britain pin or making fun of the mayor's accent.

How much time do you spend on other websites?
I'm betting it is none or if there is some it is a tiny fraction of what you spend here but here you don't even make any actual arguments.

Morrissey is a racist! Morrissey is a bigot! He supports For Britain! I will fight him because I fight racism!

That is the entirety of every post you make. it's as flaccid and hollow as it is redundant. Watch how redundant I become when I have to post "Islam is not a race" whenever I see your accusations.

I recommend you find an argument with real bite and substance to it and then take it to place that will reach the most people. Dragging this tired "message" on the fan board of a 60 year old singer whose career reached its pinnacle over 30 years ago and maintains a small but passionate base with no mass appeal cannot possibly in the top 500 ways to spread your anti-racism/anti-bigotry message to the world.

Agree to disagree. His downfall is musical. His latest effort is appalling, the rest won't go down in history.

So you’re fine spending every day of your life on a website devoted to a man who ‘apparently’ supports bigots & racists?

You clearly can’t leave home, can you? Constantly complaining about Daddy Moz but still hanging on his every word, seeking his approval.

I enjoyed all of the article though, except for the bit about Moz being a pariah. It seems the reviewer would prefer homogenised zombie society where everyone thinks the same.
Skinny's wet dream.

Wembley was terrific. Hope they have a ventilator for you old boy, it’s coming LOL.

Why so harsh?

I do not typically agree with anything written by Uncleskinny, but in this instance, what may appear as harshness is merely a point of fact; the user he was addressing is, forsooth, a "f***ing idiot."

Reckon the California Son's downfall??? :crazy: Sell all your possessions and stop spending all your money on meth and Burger King foreigner inbred trash and take a trip to California where the California Son is really from, Moz Angeles c*** tit chipper curry northern base tossey wacker inn n nn nn nn nn nnnn n it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom