"Why Morrissey’s downfall echoes the messy demise of The Smiths" by Ed Power - The Independent

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
Why Morrissey’s downfall echoes the messy demise of The Smiths - The Independent
As pariah status beckons for Morrissey, Ed Power looks back on the downfall of one of the most important bands of the Eighties

Excerpt:
As Morrissey prepares to release his 13th solo album, I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, it feels instructive to reflect on the demise of The Smiths. The group has, after all, cast a shadow over everything he has done in the past 33 years.

The obvious reason for looking back is that for the Morrissey of today, there is a sense of looming finality. Pariah status beckons for the former generational icon. His 2019 endorsement of the far right New Britain party, and his claim – the latest in a series of outrageous outbursts – that “everyone ultimately prefers their own race”, have pushed him past respectability for many former fans. The campaign to “cancel” Morrissey gathers pace. Might I Am Not A Dog On A Chain ring a closing bell on his life as mass-market entertainer?

This is rather a curious article. It is primarily a retelling of the end of The Smiths, with some emphasis on the band's manager at the time, Ken Friedman. But the stuff about Morrissey's fall from grace due to his recent-ish right-wing, anti-immigration sentiments is sort of nailed onto the front of the article, presumably to try and make the rest of it relevant in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t finish the article because I’m tired of looking back 30 years at what used to be. It’s so boring. The Smiths were great and I love their music, but I am first and foremost a Morrissey fan. Sure, I like to reminisce about Morrissey and the Lads because I miss the early solo days, but I am really excited for Morrissey NOW. IANADOAC is amazing and it’s his best work in a while. I think a lot of the “former fans” would agree. So...there is no, and never has been, a downfall. And one other thing...those former fans are still fans lurking about everyday on this website. ?

I do not typically agree with anything written by Uncleskinny, but in this instance, what may appear as harshness is merely a point of fact; the user he was addressing is, forsooth, a "f***ing idiot."

Yeah but you used the word "forsooth" so this shows how obviously highly intelligent you are :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you hadn't used the word forsooth it would have just been a regular post with no indication of how obviously highly intelligent you are, but thankfully you shoehorned the word in just in case anybody didn't recognise your so very high intelligence! You're not a try-hard at all!

Oh do reply to me with that hoity-toity attitude of yours where it seems like you're imagining yourself to be an Edwardian man of letters. That way of conducting oneself isn't past its sell by date and we haven't seen it countless times before; it makes you seem highly intelligent and creative, trust me! It's a fresh new attitude for a brand new decade. The shock of the new!

After the death of Genesis P-Orridge, Morrissey is probably the last of the living singers I really care about.

I don't see a downfall, the media is simply selling shit... Neither I think Morrissey is racist, though I don't think he is a political mastermind either (which is OK, most people are not politically very wise).

Other than that, I decided to give this forum as second opportunity after some conversations with FWD (nice guy) and a promise of zero tolerance towards the permanent and continuous stalking of a bald idiot from Sweden.

Hopefully the Corona-boredom will be over soon and the album may eventually end up having a real tour. The world is like a weird sci-fi movie right now, isn't it?

So you're fine giving money to someone who supports bigots and racists. Because you can separate the artist and the art. Well done on that.

How many Skrewdriver albums do you have?
f*** off. You're the best advertisement for Morrissey and you're too stupid to see it. Every time I read one of your bitter spiteful posts about him I realize how sick you are and how stupid it is to need a pop star to share your political views in order to enjoy their music. You're far too old for this and you won't get the time back you've wasted here making yourself look like a foolish old crank.

f*** off. You're the best advertisement for Morrissey and you're too stupid to see it. Every time I read one of your bitter spiteful posts about him I realize how sick you are and how stupid it is to need a pop star to share your political views in order to enjoy their music. You're far too old for this and you won't get the time back you've wasted here making yourself look like a foolish old crank.

Well said C. It's comical that he just can't, or want to, see any of what you've stated.
Stating he's 'stupid' is too lenient though. The rest is perfect: spiteful, sick, old crank.
Bang on!

Well said C. It's comical that he just can't, or want to, see any of what you've stated.
Stating he's 'stupid' is too lenient though. The rest is perfect: spiteful, sick, old crank.
Bang on!
I shouldn't take it so seriously but thanks. You're right that it is comical and should be treated that way.

Yeah but you used the word "forsooth" so this shows how obviously highly intelligent you are

If you hadn't used the word forsooth it would have just been a regular post with no indication of how obviously highly intelligent you are, but thankfully you shoehorned the word in just in case anybody didn't recognise your so very high intelligence! You're not a try-hard at all!

Oh do reply to me with that hoity-toity attitude of yours where it seems like you're imagining yourself to be an Edwardian man of letters. That way of conducting oneself isn't past its sell by date and we haven't seen it countless times before; it makes you seem highly intelligent and creative, trust me! It's a fresh new attitude for a brand new decade. The shock of the new!

"Forsooth" is a common word, but if a "hoity toity, Edwardian man of letters" vibe is irritating to you, then you might be on the wrong forum. Morrissey, you probably know, has always appealed to bookish people who wear it on their sleeve. "See how words as old as sin fit me like a glove," and a song about wandering a cemetery and discussing Victorian poetry. Nevertheless, it's fair criticism: you hate my style. But it's an ad hominem fallacy (you will dislike the use of Latin) if you think it has anything to do with my claim.

I guess it could be argued that "f***ing idiot" is an ad hominem as well, but if you want to discuss it then I think I can offer you adequate proof.

That article is way too long and I didn't see anything new. It's like a bad middle school paper. Shouldn't the majority of a piece like this be the ideas they're trying to sell and maybe just 10% of it quotes and citing sources?
And it really doesn't make any sense. The idea that this time is like the end of The Smiths is a real stretch to start with but then I see nothing that backs up that idea and I can't even understand how they believe that themselves. I think it's a case of writing a story to fit a headline.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom