why name the album Swords?

crotty32

hi,someone has probaly answered this question before but why Swords? I know there is a place outside Dublin called Swords,does Morrissey's family come from around here? Does it have anything to do with the classic ''the penis mightier than the sword''? Or is there other explanations,what does anyone else think

Somebody a lot sharper than me pointed out that the title can be read as "Morrisseys words". I like that:) (no pun intended with 'sharper' and 'pointed')

Somebody a lot sharper than me pointed out that the title can be read as "Morrisseys words". I like that:) (no pun intended with 'sharper' and 'pointed')

Yes, I like that interpretation too. :)

Taking the wordplay further, it could be even more deeply interpreted if you consider that throughout his whole career, Morrissey's weapons (for defending himself against critics, haters, "northern leeches" etc) have been his words. Therefore the combative title adds further emphasis to the lyrics contained within his body of work.

Last edited:
For your interest

Actually it's Uncleskinny when he saw the index of the CD he realised MorrisseySwords = Morrissey's words.

Last edited:
Re: For your interest

Actually it's Uncleskinny when he saw the index of the CD he realised MorrysseySwords = Morrissey's words.

I think most people who bought the CD realised this :)

It might also resemble "S words," e.g. shit.

MorrisseySwords = Morrissey's words.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy this? If Morrissey had meant that, the words would have appeared one after the other on the front cover, perhaps bunched together, instead of one under the other. Yes they do appear like that on the spine, but then it's not like there are many other options in so little space.

Stephane

It might also resemble "S words," e.g. shit.

Dear me! That's rather offensive language. :(

There's no need to be so negative about Morrissey's work. I think you should now say something positive to balance it out.

I mean, what if Morrissey or one of his loved ones saw this. They might think you are one of the people that gives the place such a bad name (allegedly).

;)

:thumb:

Am I the only one who doesn't buy this? If Morrissey had meant that, the words would have appeared one after the other on the front cover, perhaps bunched together, instead of one under the other. Yes they do appear like that on the spine, but then it's not like there are many other options in so little space.

Stephane

I agree with this -- I don't think that was the intended purpose. :blushing:

Everything Morrissey says means at least two things. So every interpretation is equally valid; he's probably thought of them all. Think of the "Je Suis Morrissey" shirt.

Swords could mean all or any of these things. However, it is interesting that the official merchandise included a mock-up of an Irish road sign for Swords. Swords is one of the first places that you see signposted once you arrive in Dublin airport.:p

Dear me! That's rather offensive language. :(

There's no need to be so negative about Morrissey's work. I think you should now say something positive to balance it out.

I mean, what if Morrissey or one of his loved ones saw this. They might think you are one of the people that gives the place such a bad name (allegedly).

;)

:lbf::lbf::lbf:

I still believe that Morrissey meant Morrissey's words, because I cannot see any any sense in only Swords - It looks to me awful. I respect the opinions, and I just don't believe in that you believe.

I'm still tenaciously clinging to my Swords to Plowshares theory..:guitar:

hi,someone has probaly answered this question before but why Swords? I know there is a place outside Dublin called Swords,does Morrissey's family come from around here? Does it have anything to do with the classic ''the penis mightier than the sword''? Or is there other explanations,what does anyone else think

I heard that Princess Di had swords held at her estate. . .

Originally Thought by Morrissey
viewpost.gif

hummm let me pick a name that will get people to wonder in many different ways what it means, while it doesn't mean anything... let me see... something that has nothing to do with anything that I've done... hummm... let me see... oh I got it! I'll name it "Swords". Yeah, "Swords". That should get people busy trying to figure it out, while I work on my tan. It will be hilarious!

Here is the answer.

Hard to take anything you or dunya says seriously when somehow you disagree with me 100% of the time on every thread and subject. Really, look at your previous posts, you'll see this is the case.

Back
Top Bottom