Wiki help: partial cover versions no matter how obscure or brief

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
Please note: this thread is for direct assistance and anything that constitutes discussion that isn't related to the request will be moved elsewhere - just information is required for collation, nothing else thanks.

The inclusion of Simon Smith... in the A-Z has raised the question of what constitutes a cover version by Morrissey.
Some of the tiny bits of songs he references or bursts in to live at odd moments often have a meaning behind them (like the location of the gig or referencing another singer...), so they're probably worth catching and logging.

For the benefit of the Wiki, it is proposed to draw up an information page of covers that includes partial songs, a few words, tunes etc.
Whatever you can remember is fine.

Please just leave songs/lyrics/tunes you know he's done live (preferably with a date, but don't worry if not).
Yes, there's loads to fish out of the archive and gig reports - plus I have a list of my own, but lots of people remembering things will probably shed light on any missed.

Here's one to start:
Via DavidT:
"Bye Bye Blackbird" (a cappella) at Myrtle Beach, 2007

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Regards,
FWD.

One of my personal faves "Swinging On A Star" mixed into "First Of The Gang To Die". Love Big Dee Irwin and Little Eva's version better than Sinatra.

Please note: this thread is for direct assistance and anything that constitutes discussion that isn't related to the request will be moved elsewhere - just information is required for collation, nothing else thanks.

The inclusion of Simon Smith... in the A-Z has raised the question of what constitutes a cover version by Morrissey.
Some of the tiny bits of songs he references or bursts in to live at odd moments often have a meaning behind them (like the location of the gig or referencing another singer...), so they're probably worth catching and logging.

For the benefit of the Wiki, it is proposed to draw up an information page of covers that includes partial songs, a few words, tunes etc.
Whatever you can remember is fine.

Please just leave songs/lyrics/tunes you know he's done live (preferably with a date, but don't worry if not).
Yes, there's loads to fish out of the archive and gig reports - plus I have a list of my own, but lots of people remembering things will probably shed light on any missed.

Here's one to start:
Via DavidT:
"Bye Bye Blackbird" (a cappella) at Myrtle Beach, 2007

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Regards,
FWD.
Bye Bye Blackbird was a reaction to Michael Vicks dog fighting scandal which came to light just before the Myrtle Beach House of Blues show. David T - did Eliza tell you about this??

Bye Bye Blackbird was a reaction to Michael Vicks dog fighting scandal which came to light just before the Myrtle Beach House of Blues show. David T - did Eliza tell you about this??

I was at that show so remember it pretty well, wasn't able to find it on YouTube after a quick search. First time I heard about it being related to Michael Vick!

Last edited:
You don’t have to say you love me - Brixton 2011
Horses - Manchester 2012
Jet Song - NY 2016

These are all excellent.
Thank you.
FWD.

The Sundays: Can't Be Sure
V Festival, August 19, 2006

Elvis: Are You Lonesome Tonight? (loathsome)
V Festival, August 20, 2006

Rodgers & Hammerstein (J&TP): When You Walk Through A Storm
Bowery Ballroom, NY, March 21, 2009

* Shirley Bassey/Elvis Presley - You’ll Never Walk Alone.

The Sundays: Can't Be Sure
V Festival, August 19, 2006

Elvis: Are You Lonesome Tonight? (loathsome)
V Festival, August 20, 2006

I think it was Liverpool once, he reversed the words of YNWA - “when you storm through a walk, hold your head up high” before the encore (or maybe the opener)
Think it was more likely Refusal at Lpool Empire, than the Quarry or Ringleader gigs.

Don't know if these 'count' but

Well I Wonder
Davis, CA, 4 March 2013

I Won't Share You
Ljubljana, 10 October 2015

It's Over
New York City, 7 May 2019

Just other artists please.
The Smiths ones are covered by setlist.fm.
Regards,
FWD.

He did “People Have the Power” from Patti Smith before “Maladjusted” in Israel 2012

Back
Top Bottom