Woman loses benefits over Facebook pics

Cassius

Woman Loses Benefits Over Facebook Pics
Online Images Included Shots at Strip Club, on Vacation

BROMONT, Quebec (Nov. 22) - A Canadian woman on long-term sick leave for depression says she lost her benefits because her insurance agent found photos of her on Facebook in which she appeared to be having fun.

Nathalie Blanchard has been on leave from her job at IBM in Bromont, Quebec, for the last year.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported Saturday she was diagnosed with major depression and was receiving monthly sick-leave benefits from insurance giant Manulife.

But the payments dried up this fall and when Blanchard called Manulife, she says she was told she was available to work because of Facebook.

She said her insurance agent described several pictures Blanchard posted on Facebook, including ones showing her having a good time at a Chippendales bar show, at her birthday party and on a sunny holiday.

Blanchard said Manulife told her it's evidence she is no longer depressed. She's fighting to get her benefits reinstated and says her lawyer is exploring what the next step should be.

Blanchard told the CBC that on her doctor's advice, she tried to have fun, including nights out at her local bar with friends and short getaways to sun destinations, as a way to forget her problems.

Manulife wouldn't comment on Blanchard's case, but did say they would not deny or terminate a claim solely based on information published on Web sites such as Facebook.

http://news.aol.com/article/nathalie-blanchard-says-she-lost/778856

Yes. My sister-in-law who is on Social Security for a disability probably should not be posting on Facebook about how much fun she has riding her four-wheeler on dirt trails, you know? :rolleyes:

Why do people not just set their profiles to private? Is it me being stupid right now? When you set everything on fb to private, how can anyone who isn't among your friends track photos, info, etc.?
The thought of certain people inspecting my facebook pictures makes me feel slightly uneasy. :squiffy: :lbf:

Why do people not just set their profiles to private? Is it me being stupid right now? When you set everything on fb to private, how can anyone who isn't among your friends track photos, info, etc.?
The thought of certain people inspecting my facebook pictures makes me feel slightly uneasy. :squiffy: :lbf:

Exactly, if you want to be private...go private with your profile.

Blanchard said Manulife told her it's evidence she is no longer depressed.

Doesn't sound like very conclusive evidence I have to admit.

Although I'd definately advocate the authorities doing a bit more research (yes, spying if you wan't to use it against them) on certain benefit cases. Some people so openly flaunt the rules of their incapacity benefit or job seekers allowance, it wouldn't be hard to catch them at all. I do know some such cases although only one I'd really like to see caught.

I remember the case in the UK a few years ago of the guy on disabilty benefit caught playing squash. Very funny.

Back
Top Bottom