Women who eat on tubes

Iona Mink

Despitemybetterjudgement
There has been some recent hubbub about a facebook group that has come to the attention of commentators.

The group 'Women who eat on tubes' is nearly 26 000 members strong. It's aims is the photograph women on the tube while they are eating. It appears that all photographs are taken without the knowledge or permission of the women. Once posted the photographs are discussed between members.

The description of the group is stated as "WWEOT is observational not judgemental. It doesn't intimidate nor bully.

Women are embraced and cherished. We celebrate and encourage women eating food on tubes. We do not marginalise them. We always look for the story in the picture."

So here is an example of the photo. (Many thanks to a handy person who pixelated the photo because personally, I don't feel comfortable posting a private person's image in a public space.)

9zGMzyG.jpg

Here are a selection of comments.

"Up close and personal!"
"This page is for women not squirrels! Delete & call pest control!"
"Quite literally squirrelling away at her miniature feast. Lovely close up."
"NUT GOBBLER"
"One can only assume the subject has 'dirty' fingers thus not touching the food. This leads the viewer into an altogether fifferent realm, and take on the image. Thought provoking."
"There is something very furtive about this subject's snacking. I hope that she's able to relax, enjoy herself more and even feel some richly-deserved pride during any future tube snackings she may undertake."
"The unmeasured eroticism of this candid snap is muddling my senses. Is this truly an observation of the objective intake of nutrition, or was this always intended to be an exhibition of her primal urge to process her chosen delicacy?
Only the subject knows, and she holds this knowledge close to her chest (intentionally; as close as she holds the food? who can know???). It is the deep unintelligibility of this picture which carries the most weight. You caught a shrewd phoenix in flight, dear photographer."
"masterpiece. QUITE EMOTIONAL RIGHT NOW"

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from the forum. It's appears to be quite a contentious issue which has prompted protests and news reports. Is this an invasion of privacy? Is this group doing anything wrong? It's certainly not illegal to take photos of people in public. Is it just harmless fun? Or is this an example of stranger shaming (whatever that entails)?

Last edited:
I dislike people eating on public transport.
However, it isn't right to take photos of others and upload them online without their permission.

I dislike people eating on public transport.
However, it isn't right to take photos of others and upload them online without their permission.

Thanks Kewpie. Have you seen Tubecrush? Do you think the same applies to that site?

Last edited:
You're absolutely right that it's not illegal to take photos of people in public and what is done with the photo is important.

The actual act is not an offence but if people are then taking the photo and using it to smear the person there could be a defamation or 'incitement to...' issue there.

Murky area of the law.

My own opinion, it's rather creepy isn't it. Why ever are they doing it do you think?

You're absolutely right that it's not illegal to take photos of people in public and what is done with the photo is important.

The actual act is not an offence but if people are then taking the photo and using it to smear the person there could be a defamation or 'incitement to...' issue there.

Murky area of the law.

My own opinion, it's rather creepy isn't it. Why ever are they doing it do you think?

They would defend very strongly (and from what I've seen, seem to delete a lot of comments that cross the line they have drawn) that they do not tolerate any incitement to hatred or misogyny. It is truly for artistic purposes. The group's founder is an artist and film-maker. I think I read somewhere that the group, which began two(?) years ago, was borne from a general observation that more women than men seem to eat on public transport. This is an observational study of that theory.

There is also creepshots which is much more blatant in its ethos.

Is that the difference? Men want to be seen on Tubecrush, and women don't on WWEOT?

:) I wouldn't like to be photographed eating! I hate eating in public at the best of times, except in a restaurant where everyone else is at it.

I don't like either of them personally because tubecrush has the option for people to rate the photos, which would be okay if they themselves had uploaded it, but I would not like to be held up to that public scrutiny. The women eating one, well it's photographing them in an unflattering light. For him to say it's art, well that's the old "it's art if I say it's art - cause who says what art is?" line.

I see no artistic merit in it.

Art? It doesn’t take any talent to take pictures of unsuspecting people, post them and make fun of them. My 10 year old nephew can do that. And he has! Of me!

Art? It doesn’t take any talent to take pictures of unsuspecting people, post them and make fun of them. My 10 year old nephew can do that. And he has! Of me!

I agree, it's not furthering much any sociological enquiry, is it? It's a good PR stunt, though, by an 'artist' who wants to get known quickly. "Look at me I'm outrageous!"

Of course, if feminist Guardianista types want to stranger-shame, that's fine, heaven forfend if they're shown scarfing down a pot of pasta.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/22/men-legs-splayed-on-train

Don't eat, drink, sleep or expose your genitals sexually or to defecate on public transport, unless you're mentally ill and it's a cry for help. Sharing the smell of fried chicken/chips/kebab/curry on a night bus is a sign of ignorance, whether you're man, woman or transitioning. Etc

eating on tubes, yeah, I suppose I am against it, and if shaming them helps, then great :thumb:
however, here in China, there is no shame :straightface: on the bus or metro, people pick their nose here all the time :eek:
I've even seen some eat it :sick:

You go through life thinking people around you are more or less normal. That they aren't like the crazy f***ers one sees in TV shows, kidnapping people, torturing animals, raping babies...That's how you can keep functioning.
But in real life, there are 26 000 people interested in looking at pics of women eating in public transport, and commenting on them.
From the comments you posted, Iona, these individuals seem to range from the plain mysogynist to the pseudo artist. Whether it's a comment as cleverly offensive as "nut gobbler" or a "subtle" innuendo establishing parallels between eating and sex, it's clear these people (men? maybe a few women?) have issues they disguise as a facebook hobby.

If it takes you more than a few seconds to think these people are sick, that they are using pictures of women without their consent, and so that this is abuse, you're just a click away from liking this fb page. It's simple as that.

If you have problems seeing the problem, think of your mother being described as a "nut gobbler"; or maybe a picture of your kid with a lollipop commented upon by a paedo. It's really not that different. It's abuse. Does the word shock you?

I don't find eating on tubes or buses appealing, but, given the time one spends commuting, or just going from one place to another, I can easily forgive people who do, as long as they're not noisy and messy, or spill anything on me (oo-er, possible sexual meaning there).
But it's clear there's something sinister about taking those pictures, posting them, and commenting them. I hope most of you can see it too. I really, really do.

There's even a part of me that hopes that Morrissey hasn't left a witty comment under the picture of a large woman eating an ice cream. Although I wouldn't put it past him, really, given the love and respect he has for almost anything female, except a handful of handy chosen ones.

That's how hopeful I am. One has to be. Even when one is not...

People have to eat on tubes because they have very little or no time in the morning. I think it's a weird little subculture though. Almost a bit pervy to take pictures of just women eating on the tube. Man or woman, I wouldn't want some douche bag snapping away whilst I eat a Greggs bacon sarnie.

If they don't have consent from the people themselves to take a photo then it shouldn't be allowed. Rudeness at its worst.

I find the whole thing quite unsettling myself. I know I wouldn't like my photo taken and as a consequence should I ever find myself on the tube I won't satiate any hunger pangs and I suppose this is my own personal point. Many men in the group would protest that there is no harm but I think men and women occupy very different worlds. I can only speak from my own point of view, and this is a character flaw of mine but I am self conscious. I'm aware of my space in the world. To have something like this happen is to magnify that space. If I wasn't aware of my presence before in relation to others this would certainly give me pause.

There is a female hypersensitivity at play here which is why there wasn't such a fuss of tubecrush. And perhaps if it was to shame people from eating in the tube then surely it should include men?

The art reason is just a front to discuss these women as one commentator said, as wildlife. I don't know if I would go that far but it certainly dehumanises women and as you said, anonymous, quite aptly, it's all a bit sinister. Not to mention, there is no excuse to publicly gawp at someone's image you have taken without consent.

It is intrusive and invasive and goes against the unspoken norm, civil inattention. Would it be much different if I were to take pics of people in an elevator and post them online? When we share tight public spaces we expect each other to adhere to some common rules around privacy. Staring is a no no. Picking one's nose is a no no. Taking pics of non-celebrities is a no no. (Some would argue celebs should be included as well.) Eating on a bus or train, I would suggest, should be a no no as well. It isn't a freaking restaurant. There are times and places to have a meal. Public transport and the movie theater shouldn't be one of those places. Having a coffee or cup of tea is different. But plan ahead for meals. Eat before or after you board the tube, bus, etc. Unless you are riding for more than four hours, you can wait to have a snack. Do you eat all day while working? No.

While I think it is unethical to take pics of people eating and post them online for voyeurs to comment on and exploit, I also think there is a time and a place for everything. The time to eat is not while riding public transport or while driving one's car. Or even riding in a car unless you are a baby being breastfed by mom.

Last edited:
I can’t stand seeing people make out in public as well. There’s a time and place for that too. I don’t mean a peck or hug. I’m talking about full on kissing and fondling. It’s gross and makes me cringe whenever I see it. Seriously, GET A ROOM!!

I can’t stand seeing people make out in public as well. There’s a time and place for that too. I don’t mean a peck or hug. I’m talking about full on kissing and fondling. It’s gross and makes me cringe whenever I see it. Seriously, GET A ROOM!!

I have a funny story about PDAs. Want to hear it?

Back
Top Bottom