Years Of Refusal is a classic

skull

After many listens, I feel I personally can judge Years Of Refusal a classic Morrissey album. Songs like Skull, Mama, maybe Paris, All you need is me, Birthday and Farewell are really THAT good! For what concerns the other songs, well same good level as many other good songs on other albums. What do you think?

I agrre and I say it's one of best Morrissey's album, but judge it as classic I don't know waht I think about - because it's soon to afirm that.

After many listens, I feel I personally can judge Years Of Refusal a classic Morrissey album. Songs like Skull, Mama, maybe Paris, All you need is me, Birthday and Farewell are really THAT good! For what concerns the other songs, well same good level as many other good songs on other albums. What do you think?

Agreed. I think it's brilliant, but it's a little early to say whether it's a classic or not. Give it a few years, and yeah, maybe. :)

We don't mean we don't like it, but it's not correct to judge something as classic just a few months after its release. For me YoR is a good and brillant work - with great songs but not at all. Its tour is being very good and important like Arsenal and Kill Uncle tour were many years ago.

its definitely one of his best.. the only thing that ruined it for me was knowing half the songs on it, and being tired of them

AYNIM
THPGU
ODGWBF ...

its definitely one of his best.. the only thing that ruined it for me was knowing half the songs on it, and being tired of them

AYNIM
THPGU
ODGWBF ...
I was disappointed when I saw that AYNIM and THPGU would be in YoR. On an interview Morrissey's said that both of them belong to Yor - and If I'm not mad it may be found on Passions just like mne.

To put in more perspective: would you call YATQ or YoR the V&I of the 2000s?

After much consideration..I think I would, personally :thumb:

I think it's easily his best album of the three 'recent' ones but it's still a pretty patchy affair. I think Swords is actually quite a lot better than any of the last three studio albums.
The consensus among fans, tho, seems to be that Quarry is the best post-2000 album. Something I personally find baffling; it only has one decent song!

Ive been saying this from the start... Only more articulately.

For me Vauxhaul and I is his fin de siecle, and I don't think it will ever be bettered. He's never going to go back to that (non) sound. That album for me was about his lyrics, and not a pre-concieved notion of what it should sound like.

And for what concerns the lyrics, I just want to say that the line saying "...and the smiling children tell you that you smell", IS real poetry, so ironic, so true, so feet on the ground. I want to say it because so many people have indicated this line to underline he has lost his touch. Well, he hasn't. If I have to critic something is the overwhelming abuse of the verb "To kill"...I would expect more fantasy from him, and at his age, the will to talk about something else and new...All this, of course, doesn't mean he's lost his capability of writing great lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom