Morrissey Central "YOU’RE THAT STRETCH OF THE BEACH THAT THE TIDE DOESN’T REACH" (July 9, 2021)

Links to a Dodwell article entitled:
"“World Peace Is None Of Your Business”— A Reappraisal of Morrissey’s 2014 Album"

Regards,
FWD.

Seen a few here mention the records they think are his worst. For me, LIHS was shite compared to WPINOYB. The first five tracks are belters, but IBTL is a total dirge, leading into a second half that is a total turd: In Your Lap, Israel, TelAvivGirl, Police, all awful.

All the young people is decent as is open your legs, musically, shame about the sleazy lyrics, ha.

Personally, I think this is definitely Morrissey's worse album, but then apart from the odd highlight like 'Life is a Pigsty', I am not impressed with any of his output since YATQ. Looking on the positive side, the release of this album made me reassess my avid collecting obsession with all things Morrissey which has saved me a fortune. Although I couldn't resist the pink/orange WPINOYB US vinyl and the boxset. Plus the album artwork of WPINOYB is the best looking of all the millennium releases.
It’s my opinion, Pigsty was the last truly great Moz song. There have been many good to very good songs since, but nothing has quite reached this level. Based on this, the albums have been a bit hit and miss since Quarry, as well. There was a clear chemistry breakdown in the band for obvious reasons during this run. The Whyte/Boorer dynamic gave us some of the greatest songs of M’s career. Best way I can explain it is there was a healthy competition between the two that, whilst not infallible, it more often than not brought out the best in each. We were well served as the beneficiaries. Again, there have been many good songs since those days, but the consistency has been lost.
As always, and never one to be confused for an eternal optimist, I still hold out hope that with each release there will be a return to glory. It just may take a year or so to realize this if things play out as they “should”.

"YOU’RE THAT STRETCH OF THE BEACH THAT THE TIDE DOESN’T REACH"

:handpointup:This is beautiful.

WPINOYB is a wonderful album. I'm Not A Man is a very undervalued song. If Western civilization and its values don't perish before, several decades ahead our times I hope more people will listen to this song and they'll wonder why it went so unnoticed and why it was misunderstood when its message is so clear and loud.
Istanbul is one of his best songs, bit sad Fiona didn't mention it, gladly I've the the CD, and I wholeheartly agree that's a FANtastic album. oh yeah F*** Harvest.

Viva Argentina !!!!! Champion of America ,God is in heaven and he is Argentine,!!! Long live Maradona Messi and Morrissey!!
Argentina 1 Brasil 0 . Sorry i am very happy!!!!!!

Istanbul is beautiful, on youtube there is a video where Moz is recording with the band and sings it as we already know....,And before singing Moz is with Damon and he abanica Moz because Moz seems to be nervous, like he needs air and when Damon shakes a role Morrissey yells at him in Spanish : basta basta basta, is enough !!!! and the two laugh !!!! I can't post that video because I'm worse than Moz with the internet!!! But you can search on youtube is unmissable

Here are the M Rourke votes for the World Peace songs
  • WPINOYB 7/10 (great music, foolish lyrics)
  • Neal Cassady 8/10
  • Not a man 8/10 (again some great music but let down by a few duff lyrics)
  • Istanbul 9/10
  • Earth 7/10
  • Staircase 9/10
  • Bullfighter 8/10
  • Kiss me 6/10
  • Smiler 10/10
  • Bride 6/10
  • Lovejoy 8/10
  • Oboe 8/10
  • Scandi 4/10
  • One of... 8/10
  • Drag the river 9/10
  • Forgive someone 6/10
  • Julie 10/10
  • Art-hounds 8/10
All in all, a surprisingly good collection of songs with the most diverse set of arrangements since the Bona Drag era. His equal-4th best album (after Viva, Arsenal and Vauxhall).

Lovejoy? That's a BBC drama series starring Ian McShane.
Would agree with most of that - although would give Staircase 10/10 and Julie probably 5/10. It surprises me that some people seem to rate Smiler so highly. That song has always made me reach for the skip button. Interesting lyrically but musically dull. Love the Querelle inspired fan video that is on Youtube though. Morrissey and Genet is a great combination.

You rate it a lot higher than I would.

1. WPINOYB 1/10
2. Neal C 3/10
3. Man 3/10
4. Istanbul 3/10
5. Earth 2/10
6. Staircase 8/10
7. Bullfighter 2/10
8. Kiss me 2/10
9. Smiler 0/10
10. Kick 2/10
11. Mountjoy 0/10
12. Oboe 8/10

A whopping 34/120.
Two ‘nil points’? Are you a Eurovision judge?

Lovejoy? That's a BBC drama series starring Ian McShane.
Would agree with most of that - although would give Staircase 10/10 and Julie probably 5/10. It surprises me that some people seem to rate Smiler so highly. That song has always made me reach for the skip button. Interesting lyrically but musically dull. Love the Querelle inspired fan video that is on Youtube though. Morrissey and Genet is a great combination.
I think that was an intended joke.

"FIONA IS THAT STRETCH OF BEACH THAT THE HATERS CAN NEVER REACH"​

:cool:

edit @Verso :p

Last edited:
I think Low in highschool is soooo much better.
(And oh yeah! I liked the bonus disc of WP better too! I wish that will get a Vinyl release...)

Last edited:
What ya trying to say Pete????

That Mavis can’t read or write🆘

THAT

His lot don’t go for that
Fancy learning stuff Pete????

He probably did have the book at
Some point but got fed up with staring at the front cover...

Then got bored with it and used it for kindling 🔥

My copy of List of the Lost is still sealed in its Amazon packaging…

Let's all remember that time you called List Of The Lost a masterpiece, and when challenged to find a particular part of it, you couldn't, because you hadn't read it and didn't have it.

NIP COMRADE SKINNY FAILURE!(n)
it was carefully analyzed in my literary blog and found
to be a MASTERPIECE:lbf:

🇭🇷>:hammer:

Let's all remember that time you called List Of The Lost a masterpiece, and when challenged to find a particular part of it, you couldn't, because you hadn't read it and didn't have it.
My copy of List of the Lost is still sealed in its Amazon packaging…

which doesn’t mean it’s not a master piece.

:cool:

I’m delighted Morrissey picked out World Peace for some special mention. It represents a moment (for me) when being a Morrissey fan became easy again. I was running on fumes after Ringleader.
Morrissey seemed locked into a grouchy autopilot following the Ringlicker tour. I don't know what happened to him, but i remember being completely underwhelmed by the live experience following that tour. You could see the invisible time clock on the stage. Punch in, perform like a trained seal, punch out, f*** you I've got your money. Buy a t-shirt on your way out.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom