Morrissey Central "YOU’RE THAT STRETCH OF THE BEACH THAT THE TIDE DOESN’T REACH" (July 9, 2021)

Links to a Dodwell article entitled:
"“World Peace Is None Of Your Business”— A Reappraisal of Morrissey’s 2014 Album"

Regards,
FWD.

Morrissey seemed locked into a grouchy autopilot following the Ringlicker tour. I don't know what happened to him, but i remember being completely underwhelmed by the live experience following that tour. You could see the invisible time clock on the stage. Punch in, perform like a trained seal, punch out, f*** you I've got your money. Buy a t-shirt on your way out.
o_O
invisible clock for imaginary show:hammer:

I love the album. I just wish all 18 tracks made it onto a double vinyl version. The title track doesn't do much for me but I don't feel the need to skip it.

That album is GARBAGE. My least favorite. I never, ever play it. Terrible songs and he looked terrible during that time with those GIGANTIC jeans he liked to wear. Bad times.

My main memory of this album was being shocked at how terrible some of the lyrics were.
When I got to :

"Brazil and Bahrain
Oh Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain"

I can distinctly remember feeling my sphincter literally tighten in horror and embarrassment. There are a couple of great tracks on it ('Staircase at the University', 'I'm Not a Man'), but most of the better songs are relegated to bonus tracks rather than being on the main album itself. For just for crimes against lyrics alone, this album ranks as his very worst for me. :sick:
Agree. For me it was the realization that the Morrissey that we all loved was gone. He could no longer write beautiful, inciteful lyrics, and his band...truly awful. Pandering to his unlikely Mexican following. Staircase is the only song that was listenable and even that song was marred by the stupid production by that hack producer he fell in love with. Neal Cassady would have been fairly interesting if not for that godawful distorted, horribly recorded guitar. Kiss Me A Lot is so bad it must be a joke. Bullfighter is such a simple, stupid lyric that it wastes a decent track. This is the album where the style and wit of Morrissey was lost forever as well as his ability to rock. Goodbye greatness, hello Holiday Inn Mariachi schlock.

Morrissey seemed locked into a grouchy autopilot following the Ringlicker tour. I don't know what happened to him, but i remember being completely underwhelmed by the live experience following that tour. You could see the invisible time clock on the stage. Punch in, perform like a trained seal, punch out, f*** you I've got your money. Buy a t-shirt on your way out.
I saw him a few times around 2010 and 2011, and he was definitely losing interest. For me to say otherwise would mean diminishing some truly wonderful concerts. Whilst he’s seemed more engaged recently, his fiscal concerns have had him playing some poor venues.

As Janice noted, the new climate brings the promise of more intimate gigs—which might recover some of the magic. His ego is the only hurdle.

I saw him a few times around 2010 and 2011, and he was definitely losing interest. For me to say otherwise would mean diminishing some truly wonderful concerts. Whilst he’s seemed more engaged recently, his fiscal concerns have had him playing some poor venues.

As Janice noted, the new climate brings the promise of more intimate gigs—which might recover some of the magic. His ego is the only hurdle.
Everybody here knows I'm not a big supporter of the guy currently, but there was a time when I'd see him every time he came through, and often the next stop over as well. Hell, I walked away from a brutal car crash I was in to make it 3 songs into his set in Vegas 2011.

Every single show I saw was electric until 2009? (whenever S-words came out) I took a couple of Moz virgins with me, and we all left unenthused. I think I saw him another 3-4 times before I decided I'd had enough. His contempt for the audience was seething, and he didn't seem like his heart (or trademark humor & sense of fun) were in it.

Believe it or not, I'm still holding a miniscule scrap of hope that he'll step forward & say "yanno, I had a bad stretch mentally, got some help, and see where I've alienated a lot of folks, and uh, Sorry bout that." I'd like to see him go out on a high note, but it's not looking likely with him behaving like sad-boy Ted Nugent.

Everybody here knows I'm not a big supporter of the guy currently, but there was a time when I'd see him every time he came through, and often the next stop over as well. Hell, I walked away from a brutal car crash I was in to make it 3 songs into his set in Vegas 2011.

Every single show I saw was electric until 2009? (whenever S-words came out) I took a couple of Moz virgins with me, and we all left unenthused. I think I saw him another 3-4 times before I decided I'd had enough. His contempt for the audience was seething, and he didn't seem like his heart (or trademark humor & sense of fun) were in it.

Believe it or not, I'm still holding a miniscule scrap of hope that he'll step forward & say "yanno, I had a bad stretch mentally, got some help, and see where I've alienated a lot of folks, and uh, Sorry bout that." I'd like to see him go out on a high note, but it's not looking likely with him behaving like sad-boy Ted Nugent.
Some would probably consider you a troll, but I like the fact that you, without too much derision or scorn, laid the cards on the table here and explained how you really feel re Moz. A lot of other “haters” should do the same.

Fair play. Good post this.

If you read anything from Fiona Dud-well and agree with it, there’s a room waiting for you at your local mental institution.

Some would probably consider you a troll, but I like the fact that you, without too much derision or scorn, laid the cards on the table here and explained how you really feel re Moz. A lot of other “haters” should do the same.
I learned to hold a grudge from the best, did I not? It does bum me out because I listened to him for decades, and now I just can't support him. Some can separate art from artist, and they're the lucky ones.

Strangely or fortunately, I’ve never been to a M show that was so bad that it turned me off to him. Of course I’ve been to shows that may have seemed better than others, though judgement of any show most likely reflects what the audience member/fan wants or expects rather than the actual ‘performance’ of the artist.

I learned to hold a grudge from the best, did I not? It does bum me out because I listened to him for decades, and now I just can't support him. Some can separate art from artist, and they're the lucky ones.
Fair enough. Has any other artist or band taken his place?

Strangely or fortunately, I’ve never been to a M show that was so bad that it turned me off to him. Of course I’ve been to shows that may have seemed better than others, though judgement of any show most likely reflects what the audience member/fan wants or expects rather than the ‘performance’ of the artist.
I think you’re right. Yet, some shows are better than others…the artist can’t always be spot on. I have been to a lot fewer Morrissey gigs than a lot of you guys, I think, so it’s easier for me to rank them.

I think you’re right. Yet, some shows are better than others…the artist can’t always be spot on. I have been to a lot fewer Morrissey gigs than a lot of you guys, I think, so it’s easier for me to rank them.
I think it’s quite easy to highlight the better or more energetic ones as you say but, I have seen a few crap M shows over the years. I don’t think anyone who’s been to a load of shows over a 30 year period can honestly say they’ve never seen a shit one. Of the couple hundred + I’ve seen, I could call on 10 straight away that were ‘poor’. Which when adding the maths in, is a 90% + success rate. Not bad. :hammer:

:clap: all hundreds Moz shows attended were exc A+ Masterpieces:clap:
Success/Masterpiece rate= 100%🆒

relaxing spinning with seltzer and pickled salad, and WPINOB Moz favs:clap:
reminiscing about the many many Masterpiece shows:thumb:

🇭🇷>:hammer:

Think I have played it twice.
I was shocked at just how bad it was. Not in any hurry to ever play it again. One of his absolute worst efforts in my opinion.

The fact that people rate Ringleader and Years of refusal above this album astounds me.

Think I have played it twice.
I was shocked at just how bad it was. Not in any hurry to ever play it again. One of his absolute worst efforts in my opinion.
you get the measure of an album after 2 plays?

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom