Morrissey Central "YOU MUST PLEASE REMEMBER" (October 15, 2021)

YOU MUST PLEASE REMEMBER

Have-A-Go Merchant / Morrissey 45

R-8650092-1465916269-7506.jpeg.jpg

current value: 700 Great British Pounds.

Regards,
FWD.
(Central image upgraded)

Can anyone explain to me why Moz often alludes to skinheads?
English working class culture, the idea of a gang, the romance of crime, hard lads. Stuff like that.

You should have called me out on it, :) I actually enjoy most of your posts so I should have known better.

I have The Malady Lingers On on VHS it's so old. I rather like it. When I bought it in 1992 there was no internet (except for the government) and I wore the darn thing out watching those videos. Glamorous Glue is my favorite. Certain People I Know is...well, yikes....I'll try to stay positive.

What about Hulmerist?

Got that on VHS, too. I love it. Watching that behind the scenes footage way back then was pretty awesome.

Be well and safe!
I have them on VHS too and DVD. I love the Glam Glue video too cos Moz looks so well in it. Same for My Love Life, which incidentally was on BBC Top Of The Pops recently from '91 (Moz on stage in red shirt). My only real complaint with those DVDs/VHS is the short running time. But I have to say my favourite VHS I own is The Cure In Orange. Wish they'd release that on DVD or 4K.

You should have called me out on it, :) I actually enjoy most of your posts so I should have known better.

I have The Malady Lingers On on VHS it's so old. I rather like it. When I bought it in 1992 there was no internet (except for the government) and I wore the darn thing out watching those videos. Glamorous Glue is my favorite. Certain People I Know is...well, yikes....I'll try to stay positive.

What about Hulmerist?

Got that on VHS, too. I love it. Watching that behind the scenes footage way back then was pretty awesome.

Be well and safe!

Hulmerist 24/7! :thumb: before ever experiencing a Morrissey live show pre-Kill Uncle tour, watching Hulmerist was the closest one could get. It’s really a work of art in itself and still the best Morrissey live video/compilation.

Hulmerist 24/7! :thumb: before ever experiencing a Morrissey live show pre-Kill Uncle tour, watching Hulmerist was the closest one could get. It’s really a work of art in itself and still the best Morrissey live video/compilation.
I agree. It really was. I soaked in watching that VHS for years, learning most of what I knew about Morrissey, outside from his lyrics in his music, during that period. I was too young for The Smiths but ripe for the age of Hulmerist!

I agree. It really was. I soaked in watching that VHS for years, learning most of what I knew about Morrissey, outside from his lyrics in his music, during that period. I was too young for The Smiths but ripe for the age of Hulmerist!

don’t know if anyone ever made a connection, and I could be wrong.
And I know Smiths shows had stage invasions.
But I think Hulmerist was kind of a blueprint, that set the stage for how a fan or what was allowable or expected from a fan at a Morrissey show. So when he finally toured America in 91, I think many thought it was the natural thing to do, to get on stage, etc.

I cannot even tell you how many times I played that VHS tape back in '91, 92 when I was in my mid teens...good Lord. Almost literally chainwatched Hulmerist. The only other thing that could compete, which I also chainwatched, was R.E.M.'s Tourfilm VHS...in fact usually watched them back to back and then over and over. Plus The Smiths' The Complete Picture slightly later. And this was on the communal living room TV so of course the whole fam was subjected to it. My mom I am sure thought I was a huge homo...I remember her always saying Stipe looked like he had AIDS. But for some reason she never made fun of Morrissey; in fact she ended up liking November and Sunday and There Is A Light...

God I loved those VHS tapes. Man. Long gone days. Never left the f***ing house and I never got laid but holy f*** those tapes were all I needed.

When did you discover Morrissey and/or The Smiths, Ket? Don’t think I’ve ever read your ‘origin story’.

first real musical interest was early hip hop, known then as rap. Then I got into punk. Some friends lent me some Smiths, it was different for me, his voice, etc. But it wasn’t until someone showed me the video that was just shown on MTV the night before for the first time. A friend recorded it on VHS and played it to me, the video and song was Suedehead. It was my first time hearing a Morrissey solo song.

Anyway, the video started playing, then seeing this strange being walk around a small town, alone, detached, poetic, and the music hit me all at once. I connected immediately, a moment that changed my life forever. No regrets.
Thanks for sharing! How old were you?
By the way, I was also into hiphop and then punk before discovering, among other stuff, Moz. 👍🏻

Bought for £1.99 at Holloway Road ‘Our Price’ in 1995. Transitional times. ‘Mister Byrite had presence. Now found on my stack of cd’s - still loved and never ever for sale.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom