Echobelly

mjp

Retired Mozerator
Remember them? I dug their debut album out yesterday and listened to it on the way to work this morning.

Some good tunes however it is a little cringeable how much Sonya (I think?) tries to sound like Moz.

There's one song that has a complete rip-off of "Billy Budd"'s roaring guitars but it's harmless fun.

Anyone follow them after their first album?

Oh my god said:
they were good
didnt Sonya have some kind of 'beef' with Mozzy Babie?

I know she used to say she wanted to marry him, have him for dinner, those type of things, don't remember her being upset by him but what would I know? I was probably drunk for their entire musical existence.

when i saw them perform
or
the picture of her i cut out of something
seriously, I cannot remember which either

she was wearing some kind of moz t-shirt
but with something scribbled on top of it...

thats all i got
&
I can't imagine the world without me, one of their few 'albums'

And Father Ruler King Computer rips of Shelia Take A Bow lyrically.

mjp said:
There's one song that has a complete rip-off of "Billy Budd"'s roaring guitars but it's harmless fun.

QUOTE]

If you mean their debut, then it was actually released in 1993, a year before Vauxhalls Billy Budd, but I take your point, they were indeed Morrissey influenced.

Morrissey seemed to move onto liking Echobelly once Suede became quite successful. Give Her A Gun and Insomniac are really great tunes.

@ Celibate Cries - yep, good call, I forgot about that when I started the thread.

@ Life Is A Pigsty - erm.....good point.....perhaps they heard some early versions prior to release and then decided to copy......:o

I used to love Echobelly. There first two albulms were really good, especially the debut one. I saw them a few times, but by the 3rd album they went down hill, although there were a hand full of good tracks and singles, unfortunately a couple of dance remixes appeared on them, another sign of the demise of Echobelly. after that I never ventured much further although i heard the 4th album which was pretty poor (concept style albulm).

Did love Sonja tho! Little Pop Pixie.......;)

Back
Top Bottom