FACT - Any Moz fan that does not like Viva Hate is a f***wit with no taste

• Thread starter Late Night Maudlin St.
  • Start date
> Agree or disagree?

yes, except for "Dial A Cliche" and "Margaret", which I do not like. At all.

I agree. But these are probably the same "fans" who think there's no better Smiths song than "How Soon Is Now?"

Do you have to be quite so rude?

> Agree or disagree?

I disagree. I'd be surprised if someone who considered themselves a fan could not see any merit at all in the record, which I certainly appreciate greatly.

However, to claim that is a fact that they are a "f***wit with no taste" is, in my opinion , going a little far and rather unkind.

It's always a shame when one Morrissey fan feels they have criticise others or questions whether they are "true" fans simply because they rate some examples of his work above others.

Having said that, any Moz fan who does not consider "Nobody Loves Us" to be one of his greatest songs is most certainly a clueless buffoon with their head up their arse.

I can only half agree. Viva Hate isn't his best album although of course it does have one of his best singles (in many ways better than a lot of smiths ones bizarrely) on it. I am of course talking about "Suedehead".

Personally I'd give the album 3.5 stars (when compared to other Moz albums). This is because:

1) I think "Angel" is over-the-top.
2) I like "Everyday is like Sunday" less the more I hear it- even if it is eminently quotable.
3) Although I like the lyrics of "Late Night Maudlin Street" and recognise its worth and importance to Morrissey, I think musically it is rather uninspired and goes on too long (even if that is probably the point of it in that it's an 'atmospheric' song).
4) The production dates it. This album is so obviously 1988 it hurts.

However before I am burned at the stake and my Walkman starts to melt, I must point out this is only if I am being ultra critical and unbiased. The fact that it's a Moz album at all means it's miles better than anything else in the same 'alternative' genre obviously. PLUS there are loads of things I love about it: the electronic intro on "Alsatian Cousin"; the imagery in the lyrics of "Bengali in Platforms"; the amusing truths contained in "The Ordinary Boys" and "Dial-A-Cliche" and lastly the whole idea of Margaret Thatcher on a guillotine- GENIUS!

To Chill I would say yeah there are 'trendies' (if we're going to talk like it's 1992) but they're in the minority, the truth always outs, and lastly we should be pleased that it's our bandwaggon they've jumped on rather than Mouldplay's- that way there's always a chance to convert them properly. So stop being so precious!

To Flopper I'd say I agree with your sentiment but if they're saying they hate "Viva Hate" as in HATE then they really aren't Moz fans at all because it's essential. Plus "Nobody Loves Us" is a great tune because it is Moz once again taking the piss out of his fanbase or more specifically the media-interpretation of his 'miserable' fanbase but musically it isn't that exciting now is it?

Well that's what I think anyway.

I am preparing the cannon so that you might launch me into space now folks!

> Agree or disagree?

> Plus "Nobody Loves Us" is a great tune because it is Moz once again taking the piss out of his fanbase or more specifically the media-interpretation of his 'miserable' fanbase

I never thought this song was about Morrissey fans; do you think it is or are you just referring to the title?

> but musically it isn't that exciting now is it?

It excites me.

I never thought it was either til I started frequenting the depths of mozsolo but when you think about it, it makes more sense that way than just a general song about lonely people.

> I never thought this song was about Morrissey fans; do you think it is or
> are you just referring to the title?

> It excites me.

> I never thought this song was about Morrissey fans; do you think it is or
> are you just referring to the title?

> It excites me.

Nobody Loves Us is the B-side to Dagenham Dave, the two songs are related aren't they? I always thought it was about all the strikes, workers and unemployment in Dagger-nam. I might be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom