Glamorous Glue B-sides

I just recieved my post and got both 7" singles and my CD single.

They look lovely of course, the picture disc is very cool.

BUT...................

And I do not come on here moaning very often

The B-sides are terrible. They are clearly un-finished and to put them out in this state as the main reason that people would buy the singles is a bit of a cheap shot I think. If the unfinished stuff of this quality was included on a 2nd CD of an album release or something then I would be less irked by it. Just feel let down by this anti climax to the weeks of waiting to hear these new songs.

Please dont shoot me for this opinion, I am still a huge fan and will still be there at Bradford singing all the way through!

The songs are 20 years old, and this is the state they were left in when they were abandoned.
It's a bit unreasonable to expect Morrissey to go back in the studio to finish off these old songs that weren't deemed good enough for even a b-side 20 years ago. The excitement of the release is that we've known about them for years, but never had the opportunity to hear them at all until just now. They're just demos. It's enough only to hear them; the long-standing secret of them is finally revealed. I think that's reason enough to buy the single. Otherwise, you can't say you own a copy of "Safe, Warm Lancashire Home"!

I posted this a few weeks ago in another thread about the release:
According to Andrew Paresi (from Mozipedia); Morrissey was far from satisfied with the end result and consigned it (Safe Warm Lancashire Heart) to the scrapheap since "he said it reminded him of an Arran sweater"

Again from Mozipedia, Steven Street describes it as another Lou Reed type mellow yellow guitar ballad in the same view as "Oh Well, I'll Never Learn".

These tracks were apparently abandoned as Morrissey and Street "came up with stronger material".

Dave

I think we all agree that it was the right decision to abandon them, even if it meant that tracks like Bengali in Platforms (which many revile and other just wish he'd never recorded) made it onto Viva Hate.

Dave

The songs are 20 years old, and this is the state they were left in when they were abandoned.
It's a bit unreasonable to expect Morrissey to go back in the studio to finish off these old songs that weren't deemed good enough for even a b-side 20 years ago. The excitement of the release is that we've known about them for years, but never had the opportunity to hear them at all until just now. They're just demos. It's enough only to hear them; the long-standing secret of them is finally revealed. I think that's reason enough to buy the single. Otherwise, you can't say you own a copy of "Safe, Warm Lancashire Home"!

I didnt suggest that Morrissey go and finish these off, I did suggest that they would be made available in a format such as an additional disc with an album release or something else. Yes its good to have them, I agree, but they were the only reason (other than my being a completist) to buy this single and it just feels kind of shitty when they both come in at around 2 mins long and are half finished at best.

Back
Top Bottom