Is there a thread for Morrissey's use of other writer's words and phrases?

butley

All great writers take words and phrases from other great writers. I am fascinated by Morrissey's use of other people's words. Many are very well known but I spotted a few more obscure ones in Victoria Wood's TV sketches.

"just think of the good will", " some of the girls were taking drugs in the toilet but I didn't know what drugs were", "she lets you put your own grease in the tea".

Lovely stuff.

there is now.

All great writers take words and phrases from other great writers. I am fascinated by Morrissey's use of other people's words. Many are very well known but I spotted a few more obscure ones in Victoria Wood's TV sketches.

"just think of the good will", " some of the girls were taking drugs in the toilet but I didn't know what drugs were", "she lets you put your own grease in the tea".

Lovely stuff.
I believe this link is often quoted:
http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/nicked.htm
One I found a long time ago (so much so I can't find it in the archive) is possibly William Golding's quote being an inspiration :
"Marx, Darwin and Freud are the three most crashing bores of the Western World. Simplistic popularization of their ideas has thrust our world into a mental straitjacket from which we can only escape by the most anarchic violence."
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom