Mancunian help needed.

gasmeter

I'm thinking of coming down from Edinburgh for the Star n garter night probably in october. A few questions.

. Whats the cheapest way to get down there train or plane ? Are there any cheapish places to stay the night nearby?

I will probably travel down on the Friday and come back on saturday night. Hopefully i can make time for a wee visit to Salford lads club too.

Anybody else from Scotland fancy making the trip doon south?

YES - another Edinburgh Moz fan - it seems we are a dying breed.

Try jet2 air - they fly between Edinburgh and Manchester and its just as cheap as the train.

JIM

I think there are still plenty Moz / Smiths fans up here Jim. Pity there wasn't a Smiths night up here. I am sure there would be plenty Moz apostles up for it. :D Thanks for the info re jet 2 , I'll check oot their site.

Viva Morrissey !

Cheers, Peter .

yeah, i really wish they'd do a smiths/moz night in edinburgh. my birthday coincided with the queen is dead 20th anniversary stuff at the salford lads club but i ended up not going down for it (my best mate couldn't make it and it wouldn't have been the same without him). I'll make that trip yet.

and dont forget the National Express (especially if your life is a mess!)
If you come by train you arrive in the city centre. by plane, you can catch a train from the airport for about £3.50 right into Piccadilly opposite the S'n'G!

For hotels, again, next to Piccadilly station is Munroe's - as you can imagine, it is a tribute to Marilyn inside. Look it up on the net and book early, it is a bargain price including breakfast and just a few mins walk from the S'n'G.
See you there
The Goat

hi Gasmeter,
we are planning on going down for the November do, I'll probably drive tbh, so you are quite welcome to jump in with us. Munroes is cheap & cheerful, when we stayed there I told 'em I was veggie so the brekky was just egg & beans but it's the closest place to stay from the SnG. There's better hotels up on Piccadilly Gardens too.

love

Grim

Try the train as they are usually quite cheap. Monroe's is the cheapest and nearest to the S&G although, it's a bit of a dive but VERY convenient.

There was going to be a Smiths night in Edinburgh this month but failed as couldn't get a venue.

Hopefully there will be a Smiths night in November. Watch this space! I used to go to the Smiths nights at the Mission on Victoria Street and the Citrus. They were braw! Edinburgh desperately needs a regular Smiths night, something like every 3 months or so.

Are you the guy that saw The Smyths in Glasgow in March? If so, your text never got through to me so never got your number.

Cheers.

Hi is that you Steven? Yeah I was at the Smyths night in Glasgow great night by the way. I think I wrote your moby number down wrong :( I will send you a pm with my number . Cheers Again. Peter.

Viva Morrissey!

Can I recommend you pre-book the train at least a week in advance, the cost of a single trip is £28 but you get a nice carriage, a newspaper, headphones and a snack-pack, oh and free juice or tea/coffee. There's a direct service at 11.52 getting in at 3.13 pm, just enough time to get settled into your suite at Munro's but a tip don't drink the beer or vodka in there, it's rank.

Let the train take the strain - it's MUCH better than driving honest

sorry should have said, the £28 is for a first class single, you can get a std fare single for £12 but then you'd have to put up with screaming bairns and chavs (returning to manchester of course).

We should all get on to the Citrus Club to set up another Moz night - after all, the one after the Corn Exchange gig 2004 seemed a great success.

Now, if only we could ban the imminent arrival of the nme trendies to said event......

JIM

Peter-Aye I'm the Stephen that was drinking with you all night! It was a great night. Pity it had to end before midnight. Don't worry we'll have an Edinburgh Smiths night soon till 2 or 3am!

SpringheeledJim - I'm afraid the Citrus won't be any good unless you want it on a Monday or Tuesday as they have their own organised nights from Weds to Sunday.

Hopefully we'll get somewhere till early hours and enough room to swing our bums around with flowers out of our back pockets! :D

Cheers.

If you want more than a bit of a dive but within a reasonable price range, there's a Travelodge at the Ancoats/city borders, about a ten mins walk from S'nG and just a skip away from Arndale center. No meals included but you can buy brekkie vouchers and there's a restaurant that serves good grub.

Thanks everybody for the tips. Jim, I was at the Citrus club, after Moz at the corn exchange. It was indeed a great night, it would be magic if we could get another one on the go.

Still hoping to get down to s+g in November and also take in some Smiths folklore.
I've only been to Manchester once before (m.e.n 2004) . The wife was not up for a Moz tour , nor the gig for that matter:( . But I ended up having a sozzled afternoon in the S+G. Great memories .

Still ill . I have sent you a p.m .

Cheers , Peter .

Back
Top Bottom