Question about Smiths Tour poster 1986

atouchsensitive

Can anyone tell me anything about the poster of a boy eating an iced lolly on this tour poster?
or how can I find out?
Thanks

Last edited:
The answer as to where the image of the boy with the ice lolly comes from is probably in "Peepholism" but I don't have it to hand. Or you could go and ask Jo Slee?! I think the picture is "Fab"! Come to think of it I was reading about the '"We Hate it" video (& such a video) the other day in Mozipedia. Apparently Moz wanted Spencer to be eating a Fab lolly (I think) in the video but they could only find a Cornetto on the day. So much for planning!

What do you need to know about it? Size? Gigs?
Here's a half decent pic http://www.morrisseymadness.co.uk/100_3240.jpg

Dave

Well my new girlfriend surprised me today by meeting me wearing a Smiths T-shirt she bought off the internet featuring the photo. I was really chuffed (Finding out she didnt know anything about Moz when we first met, on our second date I gave her Hatful of Hollow - see how kind I am!) But on seeing the T-shirt I was dismayed that I could not place it. Initially thought it was a single cover, but had to admit I hadn't seen it before. Found it in Google images, and that it was off the tour poster.
Would like to know the photographer or if it is from a film, or whatever.

Thanks for help folks!

Last edited:
The image was used as the tour poster for Queen is Dead and also for the (France only) release of "There is a Light That Never Goes Out"

Dave

ps - well done on converting your girlfriend :)

Last edited:
Thanks for help, Dave.

Now I only need to get her to like The Fall and we are completely set up for life!!

On (I think) page 39 of "Peepholism: Into the art of Morrissey", Jo Slee's lovely book about the sleeves and artwork of The Smiths and Morrissey, there's an image of the boy with the ice lolly as it appears on a French 7 inch single of 'There is a light that never goes out'. Somewhat unusually there's no mention of where the image originates from. Later in the book there's an image of a different small boy in a check shirt that Jo Slee says would've fitted in with previous sleeves, but it was never used. She says that he tore the image out of a magazine or newspaper. Seems he did that - collected dimages ofr possible future use. So no, we still don't know much more about it !

If someone has that French single maybe they could tell us is there is a credit for the photo on the sleeve?

Last edited:
I've still got the T Shirt from the tour. I bought 2 at the time, both pink. Wore the one but the other is still in the bag in the top of my wardrobe. Still in mint condition.

Back
Top Bottom