question for oaf

M

Mindy

what do you think of all the miscreants who are saying that anyone who protests the war should be tried and hanged for treason? obviously, that's a bit extreme, but there really are people who consider it treasonous to disagree with the government on this matter (the funny thing is, i have a feeling a lot of these people have more than one relative in prison and have more than one child with their own parent or sibling). anyway, oaf, i know that you're more sensible than that. thank god.

i just wondered what you think of people who say crap like that. i mean, they have a right to say it, but they, unfortunately, also have the right to be dumb as shit.

to paraphrase a statement made by john mccain when asked what he thought about the vietnam war protesters when he was released, "i thought that we fought wars so people could have the right to protest."

a very true comment i think, at least in regards to moral wars (which i don't feel vietnam was -- and i think you know my feelings about this new one).

> Hello Mindy.
> Do politic's mean much to you?

what do you mean exactly? is that supposed to be sarcastic or a serious question?

in general, i don't give a fig for politics, but i do care about issues. i think it is really rare to find a politician who is brave enough and intelligent enough to consistently go by the issues and not party lines. that's why i don't affiliate myself with a specific party. i don't believe that there is any one party that has my or the rest of the world's collective best interests at heart. there are good and bad aspects to most every party, just as there are good and bad people in every party. basically, what i'm trying to say is that there are certain things within the realm of politics that i care about, and many more than i couldn't care less about.

as a rule, i only get worked up about politics when i perceive an injustice (hence why i am anti-war and hence why i get upset when people simultaneously trounce on other people's right to free speech while expressing their own -- before someone counters that by claiming i'm some kind of messageboard nazi, you're just plain wrong. i never said that andy i. person couldn't talk about andy rourke, so don't even try to suggest it).

here's an incomplete list of issues i care about: animal rights, abortion, environmentalism, freedom of expression (and other constitutional rights, apart from the second amendment, which i believe is being abused in this country by gun fanatics), political prisoners, fair wages (specifically, i think that sweatshops should be completely abolished. lord knows companies get shirts made for about a quarter and turn around and sell them at a 200% markup oftentimes.), legalization of softdrugs, better schools (and cheaper ones), free universal healthcare (i believe that in this day and age, every human being has the right to not go broke in order to pay for medical expenses), etc.

so there you go.

Sounds as though you have alot going on.I wasn't aware of the Andy situation.Do you feel the need to come across as defensive alot on this board? I think we spoke once before and I have alot of respect for you.

> Sounds as though you have alot going on.I wasn't aware of the Andy
> situation.

well it isn't the andy i. person herself who makes these accusations, but rather random folks who read one post out of twenty and thinks that makes them a "mindy is a fascist" authority. wahtever.

Do you feel the need to come across as defensive alot on this
> board?

not as much as i used to. it used to be where if someone so much as said i was ugly, i'd write diatribes about to the tune of "no, i'm not very pretty, but you are a bad and stupid person for saying that instead of coming up with an intellectual argument." now i don't reply to people like that (i.e. mr. improper), although i do read their posts and have a little chuckle. however, when they prove that they are really stupid by saying something blatantly untrue or contradicting themselves (or starting "a picture of mindy" thread but forgetting to attach the picture), i find it hard to resist poking fun at them. in general, when i get in fights on this board it's because someone has twisted my words and i feel the need to clarify my position lest people really think that i am an antisemite because i am antiwar or something similarly stupid.

I think we spoke once before and I have alot of respect for you.

i believe we did speak before. thank you for saying so. i respect people who respect me. well, i respect everyone until they give me a reason not to.

You sure make alot of sense,I think I've seen post's by this Mr.Improper but have never read any.One thing that I dont understand is how could anyone know what you look like? Did you foolishly post a picture of yourself and than regret it?In any case I'm sure your lovely.

> in general, i don't give a fig for politics, but i do care about issues. i
> think it is really rare to find a politician who is brave enough and
> intelligent enough to consistently go by the issues and not party lines.

Tony Blair's being rather brave! I daresay you won't find a politician anywhere putting it more on the line than he is for what he believes is right.

> as a rule, i only get worked up about politics when i perceive an
> injustice (hence why i am anti-war and hence why i get upset when people
> simultaneously trounce on other people's right to free speech while
> expressing their own -- before someone counters that by claiming i'm some
> kind of messageboard nazi, you're just plain wrong. i never said that andy
> i. person couldn't talk about andy rourke, so don't even try to suggest
> it).

Well, I'm glad you've stopped your push to have everyone on this board ignore *me* because of my anti-Saddam view. = )

As far as your perceieved injustice about forcing Saddam Hussein to comply with the United Nations, don't you find it curious how few Iraqis are taking part in the anti-war protests?

> here's an incomplete list of issues i care about: animal rights, abortion,
> environmentalism, freedom of expression (and other constitutional rights,
> apart from the second amendment, which i believe is being abused in this
> country by gun fanatics)

So you don't care about people's 2nd Amendment rights being trampled?

I dunno, I happen to dig ALL of the Bill of Rights.

This is why I like when the Supreme Court is balanced politically. Because the left wing hates some of my rights, and the right wing hates some of my rights.

hey oaf, why did you completely ignore my original post?

> Tony Blair's being rather brave! I daresay you won't find a politician
> anywhere putting it more on the line than he is for what he believes is
> right.

i'm sure there's something in it for old tony. i won't deny that he's brave (or stupid), but there must definitely be something in it for him if he would have his people forge a f***ing intelligence report. seriously, if war is really necessary, the evidence would stand on its own and not need to be supplemented with phony intelligence reports cobbled together (badly) from internet resources. i mean, seriously, what the hell is up with that? it boggles the mind that anyone would do something so completely and outrageously stupid and actually think they wouldn't get caught. even if that professor hadn't recognized the texts, how easy would it have been to type a phrase or two into google and see what it spat out? the stupidity makes me crazy. if they were gonna cheat, they should ask some of the lowlifes i go to school with. they'd have done a better f***ing job.

> Well, I'm glad you've stopped your push to have everyone on this board
> ignore *me* because of my anti-Saddam view. = )

> As far as your perceieved injustice about forcing Saddam Hussein to comply
> with the United Nations, don't you find it curious how few Iraqis are
> taking part in the anti-war protests?

> So you don't care about people's 2nd Amendment rights being trampled?

that's not what i said. i think that the second amendment is being abused by many people. at the time of its inception, there was an actual need for it. now it's used as an excuse by gun fanatics to build up their own little arsenals. you know, the NRA used to be a gun safety type of organization. now, it's anything but. i suggest you see "bowling for columbine" if you haven't already. i think the united states needs to take steps like the uk (our best good friend) has done to eliminate guns (especially handguns, which are not used for any purpose but to kill people). the second amendment needs to be radically reconsidered. i'm sorry if i sympathize with the

> I dunno, I happen to dig ALL of the Bill of Rights.

that's your prerogative, but you act like i'm some kind of criminal for saying i think that the second amendment needs to be reconsidered (think about it oaf. how violence obsessed does it make this country if the number 2 thing in our bill of rights is about our right to pack heat?). the constitution has been changed a total of 27 times so far. it's within the realm of possibility that it will change again in our lifetimes. and being in favor of gun control does not mean i'm trampling on other people's rights. in any case, i don't know how any sane person could equate the right to bear arms with freedom of expression. one involves holding a freaking gun. the other involves speaking your mind. i think one of those freedoms is slightly more important for a healthy society, while the other probably does more harm than good.

> This is why I like when the Supreme Court is balanced politically. Because
> the left wing hates some of my rights, and the right wing hates some of my
> rights.

well i can't argue with that.

> Well, I'm glad you've stopped your push to have everyone on this board
> ignore *me* because of my anti-Saddam view. = )

i almost forgot. i was asking a certain population of the group (basically crushingbore and a few others who always got into political tiffs with you) if they wanted to join me in ignoring you. i didn't try to get you banned or TELL everyone to ignore you. i didn't say you didn't have a right to say what you wanted. in fact, it wasn't in objection to the political content in your posts (except for my annoyance that you often repeated yourself), but rather an objection to the language you used in replying to other people's posts, which themselves were very civil. that was my one big problem. in an otherwise civil thread, where other people managed for the most part to keep their cool, you'd start throwing in personal insults. i perceived that as a throwing down of the gauntlet. anyway, i've already apologized for what you seem to have perceived as a stomping upon of your first amendment rights, but it was not that and shouldn't you be over that by now? if memory serves, i posted a couple rather copious apologies within days of having asked the question. in fact, before you'd even replied, i'd already taken it back.

> what do you think of all the miscreants who are saying that anyone who
> protests the war should be tried and hanged for treason?

I don't see anyone saying that. If anyone is, they're obviously boneheads and anti-American.

>obviously, that's
> a bit extreme, but there really are people who consider it treasonous to
> disagree with the government on this matter

The only ones I'd consider bordering on "treasonous" are those going to Iraq to be "human shields." Fortunately many of them are high-tailing it out of Baghdad now, so maybe they came to their senses. And I don't know if I'd actally call them treasonous; I just find them deeply offensive. (Although I saw the web site of one of their organizers, and he, as one individual (praised on his web site by Noam Chimsky, hilariously enough) did seem to be a shill for Saddam. Anyway, while they're choosing to go to IRaq to be "human shields," people who had the misfortune of being born in Iraq are FORCED to be human shields to protect the leader they despise, which is a war crime.

But I dunno. Treason is a pretty strong word. I'd only apply it to those who intentionally seek to help Saddam Hussein against America. I don't see many people like that, although there are a few.....

>anyway, oaf, i
> know that you're more sensible than that. thank god.

I'll go so far as to acknowledge I *could be* wrong. Not wrong about the evil of Saddam Hussein. Not wrong that the international community must not abide his outlaw actions. And not wrong about supporting a policy of regime change and liberation (a policy begun under Bill Clinton, btw). Not only am I right about these things, but I find myself questioning the morality of those who disagree.

But I could be wrong about the war being fought justly. And I could be wrong about the post-war Iraq being handled competantly and in line with democratic values. Because I'm obviously not calling the shots, and am putting my trust in my leaders, some of whom have spotty records. I'm mostly putting my trust in Colin Powell. I think he's a good guy and a morality check on some of the more ruthless people in the administration (we need the ruthless people too, they just can't be calling all the shots).

> i just wondered what you think of people who say crap like that. i mean,
> they have a right to say it, but they, unfortunately, also have the right
> to be dumb as shit.

I don't see people being silenced. I see protestors on TV every single day.

By the way, it was absurd that someone was asked to take off a peace t-shirt at a shopping mall. But as asinine as that was, it was a very stupid and isolated action by a private mall owner. Since I missed out on that thread, I'll put my two cents in here. We ought to be concerned that our public spaces are being turned into private spaces. After all, most people don't have access to TV and newspapers and so forth, so if we wanna express ourselves to others, we need free speech access to places where other citizens can be found. And increasingly that's in private spaces which invite the public.

Things are not as clear-cut as those in the thread speaking of private property made it out (it's amazing how quickly they seemed to want to say "Property rights! Case closed!"). These kinds of cases involve CONFLICTING constitutional rights, and I can tell ya where the Supreme Court has come down. In one case they ruled (with dissent, and I agree with the dissent) that the first amendment does not grant citizens a right of access to shopping centers for free speech purposes. However, in another case the Court rejected the idea that a right of access created by STATE law would be a "taking of property without just compensation" in violation of the fifth and fourteenth amendments. The Court held that free speech access is neither required by the first amendment nor prohibited by the fourteenth amendment. Instead, states are free to choose between protecting the right of shopping center owners to exclude non-owners and protecting the right of access for free speech purposes to property otherwise open to the public. The way our system works is that state constitutions are not entitled to provide LESS protection than that mandated by the federal constitution, but states ARE entitled to provide MORE protection than the federal constitution.

For example, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination and segregation in places of public accomodation on the basis of race, color, religion, and national origin. However, the Minnesota Human Rights Act (which just happened to be in my first year law school property case book to make this very point) adds to the list: creed, disability, sexual orientation, and sex.

So, yeah, your state constitutions are allowed to grant you free speech access to privately owned shopping malls, so long as the free speech activity doesn't unreasonably impair the value or use of the property as a shopping center (there's the limitation to protect property owners' rights from states going too far in the free speech direction -- the federal constitution acts as a ceiling as well as a floor). So while I personally wish the Supreme Court had gone further in the direction of free speech access, my state can still do so, and some have. And I think there should be reasonable limits to protect mall owners' rights, because obviously you can't let people destroy the primary purpose of a mall, which is to shop. In the California case which I was alluding to before, the California Supreme Court still allowed the mall owners to adopt time, place, and manner regulations to minimize the interference with shoppers and merchants. So you see, it's a balancing of rights. I only say all of this because that thread sounded like some people were a little too willing to just lay down and let property owners trample all over them with their claims of private property rights. We should insist that our government protect all of our rights, people! Not just rich mall developers' rights....

> to paraphrase a statement made by john mccain when asked what he thought
> about the vietnam war protesters when he was released, "i thought
> that we fought wars so people could have the right to protest."

Yes, and remember that in Iraq people have their tongues hacked off if they so much as utter one word against Papa Saddam.

> I don't see anyone saying that. If anyone is, they're obviously boneheads
> and anti-American.

Exibit A for the thread 'Oaf lives up to his name'!!!

> The only ones I'd consider bordering on "treasonous" are those
> going to Iraq to be "human shields." Fortunately many of them
> are high-tailing it out of Baghdad now, so maybe they came to their
> senses. And I don't know if I'd actally call them treasonous; I just find
> them deeply offensive. (Although I saw the web site of one of their
> organizers, and he, as one individual (praised on his web site by Noam
> Chimsky, hilariously enough) did seem to be a shill for Saddam. Anyway,
> while they're choosing to go to IRaq to be "human shields,"
> people who had the misfortune of being born in Iraq are FORCED to be human
> shields to protect the leader they despise, which is a war crime.

> But I dunno. Treason is a pretty strong word. I'd only apply it to those
> who intentionally seek to help Saddam Hussein against America. I don't see
> many people like that, although there are a few.....

> I'll go so far as to acknowledge I *could be* wrong. Not wrong about the
> evil of Saddam Hussein. Not wrong that the international community must
> not abide his outlaw actions. And not wrong about supporting a policy of
> regime change and liberation (a policy begun under Bill Clinton, btw). Not
> only am I right about these things, but I find myself questioning the
> morality of those who disagree.

> But I could be wrong about the war being fought justly. And I could be
> wrong about the post-war Iraq being handled competantly and in line with
> democratic values. Because I'm obviously not calling the shots, and am
> putting my trust in my leaders, some of whom have spotty records. I'm
> mostly putting my trust in Colin Powell. I think he's a good guy and a
> morality check on some of the more ruthless people in the administration
> (we need the ruthless people too, they just can't be calling all the
> shots).

> I don't see people being silenced. I see protestors on TV every single
> day.

> By the way, it was absurd that someone was asked to take off a peace
> t-shirt at a shopping mall. But as asinine as that was, it was a very
> stupid and isolated action by a private mall owner. Since I missed out on
> that thread, I'll put my two cents in here. We ought to be concerned that
> our public spaces are being turned into private spaces. After all, most
> people don't have access to TV and newspapers and so forth, so if we wanna
> express ourselves to others, we need free speech access to places where
> other citizens can be found. And increasingly that's in private spaces
> which invite the public.

> Things are not as clear-cut as those in the thread speaking of private
> property made it out (it's amazing how quickly they seemed to want to say
> "Property rights! Case closed!"). These kinds of cases involve
> CONFLICTING constitutional rights, and I can tell ya where the Supreme
> Court has come down. In one case they ruled (with dissent, and I agree
> with the dissent) that the first amendment does not grant citizens a right
> of access to shopping centers for free speech purposes. However, in
> another case the Court rejected the idea that a right of access created by
> STATE law would be a "taking of property without just
> compensation" in violation of the fifth and fourteenth amendments.
> The Court held that free speech access is neither required by the first
> amendment nor prohibited by the fourteenth amendment. Instead, states are
> free to choose between protecting the right of shopping center owners to
> exclude non-owners and protecting the right of access for free speech
> purposes to property otherwise open to the public. The way our system
> works is that state constitutions are not entitled to provide LESS
> protection than that mandated by the federal constitution, but states ARE
> entitled to provide MORE protection than the federal constitution.

> For example, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination and
> segregation in places of public accomodation on the basis of race, color,
> religion, and national origin. However, the Minnesota Human Rights Act
> (which just happened to be in my first year law school property case book
> to make this very point) adds to the list: creed, disability, sexual
> orientation, and sex.

> So, yeah, your state constitutions are allowed to grant you free speech
> access to privately owned shopping malls, so long as the free speech
> activity doesn't unreasonably impair the value or use of the property as a
> shopping center (there's the limitation to protect property owners' rights
> from states going too far in the free speech direction -- the federal
> constitution acts as a ceiling as well as a floor). So while I personally
> wish the Supreme Court had gone further in the direction of free speech
> access, my state can still do so, and some have. And I think there should
> be reasonable limits to protect mall owners' rights, because obviously you
> can't let people destroy the primary purpose of a mall, which is to shop.
> In the California case which I was alluding to before, the California
> Supreme Court still allowed the mall owners to adopt time, place, and
> manner regulations to minimize the interference with shoppers and
> merchants. So you see, it's a balancing of rights. I only say all of this
> because that thread sounded like some people were a little too willing to
> just lay down and let property owners trample all over them with their
> claims of private property rights. We should insist that our government
> protect all of our rights, people! Not just rich mall developers'
> rights....

> Yes, and remember that in Iraq people have their tongues hacked off if
> they so much as utter one word against Papa Saddam.

Sorry! I got to that last! I went down thru the thread and was working my way back to the top. = )

> i'm sure there's something in it for old tony. i won't deny that he's
> brave (or stupid), but there must definitely be something in it for him if
> he would have his people forge a f***ing intelligence report. seriously,
> if war is really necessary, the evidence would stand on its own and not
> need to be supplemented with phony intelligence reports cobbled together
> (badly) from internet resources. i mean, seriously, what the hell is up
> with that? it boggles the mind that anyone would do something so
> completely and outrageously stupid and actually think they wouldn't get
> caught. even if that professor hadn't recognized the texts, how easy would
> it have been to type a phrase or two into google and see what it spat out?
> the stupidity makes me crazy. if they were gonna cheat, they should ask
> some of the lowlifes i go to school with. they'd have done a better
> f***ing job.

Yeah, that sotry was troubling. But nevertheless, I just don't see any motivation behind Blair's actions besides that he truly believes it's right.
That doesn't mean he IS right, of course, but it really bugs me when people question his sincerity when he's risking everything on all this and taking considerable heat. You're a fan of Bono, right? I'm not, but I did see Bono on MTV the other day. He said he didn't buy into any of these conspiracy theories and all that bullshit, and he's met the leaders invovled and feels they are absolutely serious and sicnere in what they're doing. He went on to say he personally belueves they're sincerely wrong, but yeah...I wish some people would voice their disagreements without trying to demonize and buy into conspiracies so much. As the representative for Spain points out (http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl/reuters03-10-150155.asp?reg=EUROPE) the countries with suspect motivations here are France, Russia, and China. And it's most certainly NOT a blood-for-oil policy, at least on America's and Britain's part (see this editorial for more on that: http://www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/20030305-6019357.htm).

> that's not what i said. i think that the second amendment is being abused
> by many people. at the time of its inception, there was an actual need for
> it. now it's used as an excuse by gun fanatics to build up their own
> little arsenals. you know, the NRA used to be a gun safety type of
> organization. now, it's anything but. i suggest you see "bowling for
> columbine" if you haven't already. i think the united states needs to
> take steps like the uk (our best good friend) has done to eliminate guns
> (especially handguns, which are not used for any purpose but to kill
> people). the second amendment needs to be radically reconsidered. i'm
> sorry if i sympathize with the

Did you ever check out www.spinsanity.com and their section on Michael Moore?
It's fine to be against the gun nutters to such an extent that you'd weaken the second amendment, but I wouldn't rely on Michael Moore the Professional Liar for anything.

But um, just remember that once rights are taken away they're hard to get back.
You may not see an "actual need" for gun rights in 2003, but you don't know what's gonna happen in 50 years. What if your grandchildren find themselves with Adolf Hitler the 2nd as president? And anyway, I have a coule guns and I'm glad I do. It's better to have a gun when you need one than not to! I was never a Boy Scout, but "be prepared" seems like a good slogan to me.

And remember: 3,000 people were murdered in less than one hour with just box cutters, not a single gun.

I'm open to reasonable restrictions on guns and gun purchases. Obviously I don't want my neighbor to have a nuclear arsenal in his basement. But I see the agenda as being the outlawing of guns. Which won't take guns off the streets, of course. It'll just water-down the rights of law-abiding citizens.
It's all part of the Rosie O'Donnel emotional soccer mom agenda. I don't doubt that America is a strangely violent country given its wealth and advanced status, and that this should be examined, but a gun is just a tool.

> that's your prerogative, but you act like i'm some kind of criminal for
> saying i think that the second amendment needs to be reconsidered (think
> about it oaf. how violence obsessed does it make this country if the
> number 2 thing in our bill of rights is about our right to pack heat?).

Doesn't Michael Moore's film point out that Canada has lots of guns too?
I haven't seen the film, but that's my understanding.

> the constitution has been changed a total of 27 times so far. it's within
> the realm of possibility that it will change again in our lifetimes. and
> being in favor of gun control does not mean i'm trampling on other
> people's rights. in any case, i don't know how any sane person could
> equate the right to bear arms with freedom of expression. one involves
> holding a freaking gun. the other involves speaking your mind. i think one
> of those freedoms is slightly more important for a healthy society, while
> the other probably does more harm than good.

A gun is a means to protect yourself, your home, your family. You wanna leave it all up to the government; I wanna be able to rely on myself if need be.

Have you seen a movie called The Trigger Effect? In that movie the electricity goes out for an extended period of time, and the law and order of civilization falls apart. Now that's a freak occurance, granted, but if something like that happened, I bet even Mindy would consider trying to get her hands on a gun rather than have looters bust into your home. And there are plenty of less freakish possibilities in which a gun could be a lifesaver. But how freakish is the Trigger Effect scenerio? I mean, we were just in Terror Alert Orange mode recently. What if you city were hit by chemicals, and you were so busy laughing at Tom Ridge that you forgot to get some duck tape, food, water, and plastic sheeting? I didn't get any of that shit either, but lets say I did. And I lived in your neighborhood. And a week before I blabbed about how prepared I saw. Well, I'd want a gun to keep some motherf***er from trying to steal my supplies!

OK, I guess I'm being ridiculous. I'm not really that into guns. I like to skeet shoot, that's all. But I would shoot someone who busted into my home to harm me, and I do think having the means to do so is my right which my government has no authority to take away. Reasonable restrictions enacted with a good faith respect for my individual rights, fine. Excessive restrictions enacted with a disrespect for my individual rights, and I'll start considering joining Charlton Heston in saying, "Out of my cold, dead hands!!!!!!!!!!"

Re: Sorry! I got to that last! I went down thru the thread and was working my way back to the top. =

> It's all part of the Rosie O'Donnel emotional soccer mom agenda. I don't
> doubt that America is a strangely violent country given its wealth and
> advanced status, and that this should be examined, but a gun is just a
> tool.
But how many soccer Mom's have armed security guards like Rosie does.Why is it ok for her but not for others.

> A gun is a means to protect yourself, your home, your family. You wanna
> leave it all up to the government; I wanna be able to rely on myself if
> need be.
The second amendment was for originally for protection against the Government.

> Have you seen a movie called The Trigger Effect? In that movie the
> electricity goes out for an extended period of time, and the law and order
> of civilization falls apart. Now that's a freak occurance, granted, but if
> something like that happened, I bet even Mindy would consider trying to
> get her hands on a gun rather than have looters bust into your home. And
> there are plenty of less freakish possibilities in which a gun could be a
> lifesaver. But how freakish is the Trigger Effect scenerio? I mean, we
> were just in Terror Alert Orange mode recently. What if you city were hit
> by chemicals, and you were so busy laughing at Tom Ridge that you forgot
> to get some duck tape, food, water, and plastic sheeting? I didn't get any
> of that shit either, but lets say I did. And I lived in your neighborhood.
> And a week before I blabbed about how prepared I saw. Well, I'd want a gun
> to keep some motherf***er from trying to steal my supplies!
I know, I don't blame you. Did anyone go to the home depot a few weeks ago? I went in to buy some salt and it took about an hour to check out. IF someone stole my plastic and duct tape that I waited in line for an hour so I could live for another 5 hours in case of an attack I would be really pissed off.

Re: hey oaf, why did you completely ignore my original post?

> the constitution has been changed a total of 27 times so far. it's within
> the realm of possibility that it will change again in our lifetimes. and
> being in favor of gun control does not mean i'm trampling on other
> people's rights. in any case, i don't know how any sane person could
> equate the right to bear arms with freedom of expression. one involves
> holding a freaking gun. the other involves speaking your mind. i think one
> of those freedoms is slightly more important for a healthy society, while
> the other probably does more harm than good.

> well i can't argue with that.
27 changes over 200 years isn't a bad record. Can you image the United States without the 27 Amendments(with the exception of #18), especially #1,4,5,13,15,and my favorite #19. I would like "We the People" to be better defines as to who "the people" are.

Re: Sorry! I got to that last! I went down thru the thread and was working my way back to the top. =

> And remember: 3,000 people were murdered in less than one hour with just
> box cutters, not a single gun.

Not a single WMD either!

> I don't see anyone saying that. If anyone is, they're obviously boneheads
> and anti-American.

i didn't mean to suggest it was a widespread sentiment, but there seems to be a growing number of ignorant people who feel this way (thank god, they aren't in high places).

> The only ones I'd consider bordering on "treasonous" are those
> going to Iraq to be "human shields." Fortunately many of them
> are high-tailing it out of Baghdad now, so maybe they came to their
> senses. And I don't know if I'd actally call them treasonous; I just find
> them deeply offensive. (Although I saw the web site of one of their
> organizers, and he, as one individual (praised on his web site by Noam
> Chimsky, hilariously enough) did seem to be a shill for Saddam. Anyway,
> while they're choosing to go to IRaq to be "human shields,"
> people who had the misfortune of being born in Iraq are FORCED to be human
> shields to protect the leader they despise, which is a war crime.

the human shields, i admit, are pretty dumb. i mean, they have a right to do what they want and i wouldn't call it treason. it's just plain stupid.

> But I dunno. Treason is a pretty strong word. I'd only apply it to those
> who intentionally seek to help Saddam Hussein against America. I don't see
> many people like that, although there are a few.....

a very few, but you're right. human shields are not among them (and most of them were british anyway from my understanding).

> I'll go so far as to acknowledge I *could be* wrong. Not wrong about the
> evil of Saddam Hussein. Not wrong that the international community must
> not abide his outlaw actions. And not wrong about supporting a policy of
> regime change and liberation (a policy begun under Bill Clinton, btw). Not
> only am I right about these things, but I find myself questioning the
> morality of those who disagree.

and that's your right to do so. there aren't many people who would say that saddam is a good person. i don't believe that he is as evil as our government and the media try to make him out to be, but i certainly don't think he's a nice guy by any means.

> But I could be wrong about the war being fought justly. And I could be
> wrong about the post-war Iraq being handled competantly and in line with
> democratic values. Because I'm obviously not calling the shots, and am
> putting my trust in my leaders, some of whom have spotty records. I'm
> mostly putting my trust in Colin Powell. I think he's a good guy and a
> morality check on some of the more ruthless people in the administration
> (we need the ruthless people too, they just can't be calling all the
> shots).

colin powell was the only member of the bush administration that i thought could be trusted. that's all changed now that he endorsed the faked intelligence report. i still think that he's a fairly reasonable guy and i don't think that he's got the same kind of perverted agenda as others in the administration.

> I don't see people being silenced. I see protestors on TV every single
> day.

this is true. again, in my initial post, i was referring to a small population of ignorant losers who need to look up treason in the dictionary and review the bill of rights.

> By the way, it was absurd that someone was asked to take off a peace
> t-shirt at a shopping mall. But as asinine as that was, it was a very
> stupid and isolated action by a private mall owner. Since I missed out on
> that thread, I'll put my two cents in here. We ought to be concerned that
> our public spaces are being turned into private spaces. After all, most
> people don't have access to TV and newspapers and so forth, so if we wanna
> express ourselves to others, we need free speech access to places where
> other citizens can be found. And increasingly that's in private spaces
> which invite the public.

i totally agree. that is the same point i tried to make -- that malls are privately owned public places.

> Things are not as clear-cut as those in the thread speaking of private
> property made it out (it's amazing how quickly they seemed to want to say
> "Property rights! Case closed!"). These kinds of cases involve
> CONFLICTING constitutional rights, and I can tell ya where the Supreme
> Court has come down. In one case they ruled (with dissent, and I agree
> with the dissent) that the first amendment does not grant citizens a right
> of access to shopping centers for free speech purposes. However, in
> another case the Court rejected the idea that a right of access created by
> STATE law would be a "taking of property without just
> compensation" in violation of the fifth and fourteenth amendments.
> The Court held that free speech access is neither required by the first
> amendment nor prohibited by the fourteenth amendment. Instead, states are
> free to choose between protecting the right of shopping center owners to
> exclude non-owners and protecting the right of access for free speech
> purposes to property otherwise open to the public. The way our system
> works is that state constitutions are not entitled to provide LESS
> protection than that mandated by the federal constitution, but states ARE
> entitled to provide MORE protection than the federal constitution.

> For example, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination and
> segregation in places of public accomodation on the basis of race, color,
> religion, and national origin. However, the Minnesota Human Rights Act
> (which just happened to be in my first year law school property case book
> to make this very point) adds to the list: creed, disability, sexual
> orientation, and sex.

> So, yeah, your state constitutions are allowed to grant you free speech
> access to privately owned shopping malls, so long as the free speech
> activity doesn't unreasonably impair the value or use of the property as a
> shopping center (there's the limitation to protect property owners' rights
> from states going too far in the free speech direction -- the federal
> constitution acts as a ceiling as well as a floor). So while I personally
> wish the Supreme Court had gone further in the direction of free speech
> access, my state can still do so, and some have. And I think there should
> be reasonable limits to protect mall owners' rights, because obviously you
> can't let people destroy the primary purpose of a mall, which is to shop.
> In the California case which I was alluding to before, the California
> Supreme Court still allowed the mall owners to adopt time, place, and
> manner regulations to minimize the interference with shoppers and
> merchants. So you see, it's a balancing of rights. I only say all of this
> because that thread sounded like some people were a little too willing to
> just lay down and let property owners trample all over them with their
> claims of private property rights. We should insist that our government
> protect all of our rights, people! Not just rich mall developers'
> rights....

very true.

> Yes, and remember that in Iraq people have their tongues hacked off if
> they so much as utter one word against Papa Saddam.

well not so much anymore, but there was a time, i know...

i was reading the other day some interesting stuff about iraq and how, for a middle eastern country, a surprising amount of religious freedom is allowed. it's obviously not the same as in the united states of america, but to be honest, i'd rather live under saddam than some of these islamic fundamentalist princes. (i'm just trying to make the point that people in other middle eastern countries don't have it so easy either.)

> Yeah, that sotry was troubling. But nevertheless, I just don't see any
> motivation behind Blair's actions besides that he truly believes it's
> right.
> That doesn't mean he IS right, of course, but it really bugs me when
> people question his sincerity when he's risking everything on all this and
> taking considerable heat. You're a fan of Bono, right? I'm not, but I did
> see Bono on MTV the other day. He said he didn't buy into any of these
> conspiracy theories and all that bullshit, and he's met the leaders
> invovled and feels they are absolutely serious and sicnere in what they're
> doing. He went on to say he personally belueves they're sincerely wrong,
> but yeah...I wish some people would voice their disagreements without
> trying to demonize and buy into conspiracies so much. As the
> representative for Spain points out
> (http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl/reuters03-10-150155.asp?reg=EUROPE)
> the countries with suspect motivations here are France, Russia, and China.
> And it's most certainly NOT a blood-for-oil policy, at least on America's
> and Britain's part (see this editorial for more on that:
> http://www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/20030305-6019357.htm ).

i'm not trying to demonize blair, but i find that story hard to overlook. if you're right, you don't need to lie in a bid to prove you're right. yes, he may well be sincere, but i personally think there's more to it. i'm not one for conspiracy theories in general. it's not like i think he has a pact with satan or anything. i just think that there must be more to it than meets the eye. and yes, i know that france's government has ulterior motives for not supporting the war, but most french citizens are also against the war. it's not like jacque who runs the boulangerie or marie who makes fromage are against the war because france has something to gain. the government's motives may be screwed up, but the people are sincere. it's not like your average person will profit from any of this anyway. any wealth gained by the united states or france or any other country (even iraq) will not be evenly distributed. why is it so farfetched to think that the british and american governments have ulterior motives when they stand to gain far more from a war than france would gain from the lack of one?

> Did you ever check out www.spinsanity.com and their section on Michael
> Moore?
> It's fine to be against the gun nutters to such an extent that you'd
> weaken the second amendment, but I wouldn't rely on Michael Moore the
> Professional Liar for anything.

i don't rely on michael moore for everything. in fact, his movie doesn't offer any solutions for the gun problem. it merely opens your eyes to the existence of the problem and poses the question of why the problem even exists.

> But um, just remember that once rights are taken away they're hard to get
> back.
> You may not see an "actual need" for gun rights in 2003, but you
> don't know what's gonna happen in 50 years. What if your grandchildren
> find themselves with Adolf Hitler the 2nd as president? And anyway, I have
> a coule guns and I'm glad I do. It's better to have a gun when you need
> one than not to! I was never a Boy Scout, but "be prepared"
> seems like a good slogan to me.

well first of all, i don't plan on having children or grandchildren, so my legacy ends for me. why worry about something that could happen in 50 years but probably won't? the fact is, if we try to make the world a better place to live in today, it will probably be a better place tomorrow, as long as people keep on the ball.

> And remember: 3,000 people were murdered in less than one hour with just
> box cutters, not a single gun.

the difference is that thousands of people are murdered every year with guns, both purposely and accidentally. september 11th was a freak occurence.

> I'm open to reasonable restrictions on guns and gun purchases. Obviously I
> don't want my neighbor to have a nuclear arsenal in his basement. But I
> see the agenda as being the outlawing of guns. Which won't take guns off
> the streets, of course. It'll just water-down the rights of law-abiding
> citizens.
> It's all part of the Rosie O'Donnel emotional soccer mom agenda. I don't
> doubt that America is a strangely violent country given its wealth and
> advanced status, and that this should be examined, but a gun is just a
> tool.

a handgun is not a tool. it has no practical purpose (apart from law enforcement, but if criminals didn't have handguns, cops wouldn't need them as much). people don't use handguns for hunting. handguns are for killing people. i don't think all guns should be banned, but i think handguns should be outlawed completely, expect for law enforcement officials. no, it wouldn't keep guns off the street, but there would be significantly fewer if production were limited

> Doesn't Michael Moore's film point out that Canada has lots of guns too?
> I haven't seen the film, but that's my understanding.

you're correct, but he also shows that whereas america has thousands of gun deaths a year, canada's are in the double digits. they have more guns per capita, but an amazingly small number of deaths. it's really intriguing. why are americans so damn irresponsible with their guns (i'm referring both to accidental gun deaths and to the sale of guns to criminals or mentally unstable individuals)? canadians have guns and don't go killing each other. the way i see it, guns should be a privilege and not a right. the government, seeing that many americans obviously aren't competent enough to safely operate or lock up their guns, should limit their ability to have them. if guns are to remain legal, then the NRA really should return itself to a gun safety organization. in fact, your favorite person on earth, michael moore, planned to run for president of the NRA and return it to a safety organization. he realized that he'd never get elected apparently, and instead decided to focus on bowling for columbine. it was a good choice, i think, because it has opened many eyes. the most touching scene in a movie last year was when michael moore tried to show charleton heston a picture of a little girl who was murdered with a gun by a classmate (we're talking first grade here) which he found lying around in his uncle's house. heston refused to look at it. i think that's rather revealing of many gun fanatics' mindsets.

> A gun is a means to protect yourself, your home, your family. You wanna
> leave it all up to the government; I wanna be able to rely on myself if
> need be.

guns are also used to take people's rights away from them. you may want to fight fire with fire, but i'm not one for vigilanteism. i can't say what i would do if someone came into my house and tried to harm myself or my family. i'd defend myself sure, but what are the odds? yes, it's good to be prepared, but it seems strange to me to fight guns with guns.

> Have you seen a movie called The Trigger Effect? In that movie the
> electricity goes out for an extended period of time, and the law and order
> of civilization falls apart. Now that's a freak occurance, granted, but if
> something like that happened, I bet even Mindy would consider trying to
> get her hands on a gun rather than have looters bust into your home. And
> there are plenty of less freakish possibilities in which a gun could be a
> lifesaver. But how freakish is the Trigger Effect scenerio? I mean, we
> were just in Terror Alert Orange mode recently. What if you city were hit
> by chemicals, and you were so busy laughing at Tom Ridge that you forgot
> to get some duck tape, food, water, and plastic sheeting? I didn't get any
> of that shit either, but lets say I did. And I lived in your neighborhood.
> And a week before I blabbed about how prepared I saw. Well, I'd want a gun
> to keep some motherf***er from trying to steal my supplies!

> OK, I guess I'm being ridiculous. I'm not really that into guns. I like to
> skeet shoot, that's all. But I would shoot someone who busted into my home
> to harm me, and I do think having the means to do so is my right which my
> government has no authority to take away. Reasonable restrictions enacted
> with a good faith respect for my individual rights, fine. Excessive
> restrictions enacted with a disrespect for my individual rights, and I'll
> start considering joining Charlton Heston in saying, "Out of my cold,
> dead hands!!!!!!!!!!"

that's fine for you, but as you said yourself, the contigencies you mention will most likely never happen and you can't say for sure what you'd do in the moment. perhaps overcome with sympathy for your unprepared neighbors, you'd want to share your supplies. who can say? it's good to be prepared, but i'd prefer to be reasonable and not prepare for the total breakdown of society. *knock on wood* i mean, it is within the realm of possibility, but look at new york. as much as i hate to say anything good about new yorkers, they behaved very well after the events of 9-11. society didn't collapse along with the twin towers. there was some looting i heard and some people took advantage of ATM machines that went haywire, but, by and large, people handled themselves extraordinarily well under the circumstances. that day, the world seemed like it was going to end. my grandma called my house in tears, waking me up to tell me that america was under seige and that this was the first sign of the apocalypse. if my grandma, who lives in a suburb of los angeles was that freaked out, i can only imagine how new yorkers felt. and still, they behaved themselves. it's really quite impressive and quite frankly more than i expected (keeping in mind that i have always had a bias against new york -- sort of my own personal east coast vs. west coast rivalry). my point is that you never know how you're going to respond to the worst possible scenario. and in my way of thinking, while guns can be useful in a small number of situations, they cause more harm than good.

Re: hey oaf, why did you completely ignore my original post?

> 27 changes over 200 years isn't a bad record. Can you image the United
> States without the 27 Amendments(with the exception of #18), especially
> #1,4,5,13,15,and my favorite #19. I would like "We the People"
> to be better defines as to who "the people" are.

i didn't say it was a bad thing. it's good for the constitution to change with the times. a lot of people try to claim that jefferson et al were divinely inspired. horseshit, i say to that. they were human and thus subject to error.

benjamin franklin said it best: "to err is human; to repent, divine; to persist, devilish." in other words, if something needs changing, change it! to leave it be, saying that it is what the forefathers had in mind and should thus not be changed, is foolhardy.

> Exibit A for the thread 'Oaf lives up to his name'!!!

Eh? I guess I'll go look for this thread.

How come no one starts any threads over the mounting acts of intolerance by the leave-Saddam-alone crowd?