Some notes about "Peter Grimes"

Librarian On Fire

For those who might want to know. The actual piece of music used in the introduction to "Boxers" taken from the opera by Benjamin Britten "Peter Grimes", Op33 (1945) is titled "Moonlight" and is interlude V in act 111. It opens the act and lasts for close to one minute. It's a lovely piece of music.

The London Symphony Orchestra recorded a live version of the opera at the Barbican, London in January 2004 and is available on compact disc. Sir Colin Davis is the conductor and the recording also features New Zealand born Samoan baritone Jonathan Lemalu.

Britten also wrote the opera, "Billy Budd", but we all knew that anyway. I wonder how long it will be until a poster starts using "Peter Grimes" as their Morrissey Solo name?

Last edited:
For those who might want to know. The actual piece of music used in the introduction to "Boxers" taken from the opera by Benjamin Britten "Peter Grimes", Op33 (1945) is titled "Moonlight" and is interlude V in act 111. It opens the act and lasts for close to one minute. It's a lovely piece of music.

The London Symphony Orchestra recorded a live version of the opera at the Barbican, London in January 2004 and is available on compact disc. Sir Colin Davis is the conductor and the recording also features New Zealand born Samoan baritone Jonathan Lemalu.

Britten also wrote the opera, "Billy Budd", but we all knew that anyway. I wonder how long it will be until a poster starts using "Peter Grimes" as their Morrissey Solo name?

Thanks, Librarian On Fire. Is that interlude also in Britten's Sea Interludes or is it just similar? This came up recently.

I also discovered that E.M. Forster wrote the script for the opera, creating a bit of a tempest in his collaboration with Britten - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/may/06/britten-forster-billy-budd-opera

Thanks, Librarian On Fire. Is that interlude also in Britten's Sea Interludes or is it just similar? ]
I'm not too sure Goinghome. I'll do a bit of research and find out. I seem to be taking an interest in opera more as I become older. I did read that Britten was very good friends with Queen Elizabeth. After his ill health the Queen took the rare step of actually penning a letter to him herself. Normally it is the ladies in waiting who write on behalf of the Queen. I'm sure Morrissey is ok with this.

Thanks, Librarian On Fire. Is that interlude also in Britten's Sea Interludes or is it just similar? This came up recently.

I also discovered that E.M. Forster wrote the script for the opera, creating a bit of a tempest in his collaboration with Britten - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/may/06/britten-forster-billy-budd-opera

The Sea Interludes are often performed in concert as a suite, but are directly drawn from and integral to the opera proper. The interlude used in "Boxers" lasts for between four and five minutes, depending upon the tempi adopted by conductor and orchestra.

As with so much of Britten's operatic output, "Peter Grimes" is amongst the finest achievements of Twentieth Century opera, along with "Billy Budd", "Death in Venice" et al.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hxYG-EU4iSI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hxYG-EU4iSI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I'm not too sure Goinghome. I'll do a bit of research and find out. I seem to be taking an interest in opera more as I become older. I did read that Britten was very good friends with Queen Elizabeth. After his ill health the Queen took the rare step of actually penning a letter to him herself. Normally it is the ladies in waiting who write on behalf of the Queen. I'm sure Morrissey is ok with this.

That's a nice tale. When it comes to the woman, I cannot help thinking of Alan Bennett's book, 'The Reader', I think it was called, about the queen taking up books at a rampant rate. So humane. Her birth fixed her and within its confines she's possibly doing what she can, probably representing lots that she doesn't agree with, as indeed lots of us have to do in life. That's the impression I get. So lovely that she wrote to Britten. What would she say in a letter to Morrissey?! The effort she made in Ireland, the bit of Gaeilge, the bowing to the dead, the symbols of dress even - all these touched and endeared many of us to her.

Back
Top Bottom