What do Moz fans think about 'Notre Dame'?

What do you think about the song 'Notre Dame'?

• 1. I'm with Morrissey. Everyone knows it was arson.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 2. Jeez, he has really gone down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole with this one.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • 3. I don't care about the theory - it's a good song and should be released.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • 4. I don't care about the theory - it's a terrible song and should never be released.

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Of course we don’t wish our favorite artists to do so. But to an extent Morrissey has, on his own terms, accepted that it’s alright to have a song with a groove, but a groove with a difference, that difference being what he brings to the song, which fortunately or unfortunately will not make it as commercially successful as he wants it. Lol.

Even in the early 90’s you can’t tell me that Morrissey wasn’t influenced by the Madchester scene to use music like Interesting Drug, November, Journalists Who Lie, in hopes that there would be some crossover connection with
younger music listeners.

But as far as Morrissey’s recent output ( though even Quarry period with his welcoming of keyboards and more synth sounds in his recordings) I think he’s always shown to be evolving and trying out other genres, because he just wants to move on (in part out of boredom) and also not wanting to be put in a box, letting others dictate what his sound is.

that’s just sad. I love those songs, and will gravitate to them more often, that’s what the recordings are for.
👉But artists need to evolve for the sake of their own sanity, it has nothing to do with what his fans want or should expect from him.

They don’t work if you compare and expect the artist to continually repeat themselves ad nauseam.

But in reality, how much has Morrissey’s music direction really changed? Once he adds his voice, it’s always going to be a Morrissey song. Even he can’t change that.

You can see it that way and you go to great lengths to explain why the change in sound is good for him. I still think, that the majority of people who used to like him are most likely to go back to the old style. WPINOYB has alienated many long-term fans, believe me. Not everyone who turned away after the then unfortunate LIHS and it's accompanying medial disasters, feels the need to write here.

Morrissey was influenced by Glam and Rockabilly and some extra Sparks Glitter. The things you mentioned were marginal sidenotes.

Staying true to your own sound, can also be seen as continuity or quality. It doesn't automatically have to be negative, as you claim.

You can see it that way and you go to great lengths to explain why the change in sound is good for him. I still think, that the majority of people who used to like him are most likely to go back to the old style. WPINOYB has alienated many long-term fans, believe me. Not everyone who turned away after the then unfortunate LIHS and it's accompanying medial disasters, feels the need to write here.

Morrissey was influenced by Glam and Rockabilly and some extra Sparks Glitter. The things you mentioned were marginal sidenotes.

Staying true to your own sound, can also be seen as continuity or quality. It doesn't automatically have to be negative, as you claim.

Yeah, but some artists like to eventually try out new things, as Morrissey has done and continues to do. Sorry, he has lost you as a fan.

At least you have his earlier work to enjoy.

For me, not only do I have the earlier work to enjoy,
but I also have the joy of experiencing what new off the beaten paths and detours that Morrissey chooses to take. It’s always ... let’s see what happens next? Which I find exciting.

:)

I think good looking people generally get away with more than people who are not as good looking, which causes some skill deficit that shows up later on, because it's something they never had to work on. I think this is the case with Morrissey, his looks excused a lot and so did his wit and talent, he probably never had to learn to get along with people. Now that he doesn't have those things anymore, he has to work at it and refuses to.
As for his music, if he wants to keep making music his core fan base doesn't like, we just won't buy it. The business is about money, if a record company thought they could make a decent profit from him, they'd probably sign him.
He can be old and contrary and people can think it's 'cool' and 'badass', but that is really immature and isn't getting him anywhere. He is not some 20 something defying the system anymore, he is a broken old man who has destroyed his reputation and is pushing away people he probably really needs right now. I don't see how he will do these new shows (yet to be announced, if ever) without musicians who can actually play the songs, he needs Alain.

Last edited:
Tags
notre dame
Back
Top Bottom