Hindley and The Smiths: art vs artifice

Found this article in the Guardian today and the reference to Suffer Little Children reminded how, at one point, Morrissey was capable of really connecting emotionally with others and could show kindness, warmth and compassion.

T-shirts with Myra Hindley on them? Modern art has forgotten how to care
by Jonathan Jones - The Guardian

Excerpt:

When The Smiths released Suffer Little Children, their song about the Moors Murders, they too were criticised for exploiting tragedy. And yet Morrissey’s lyrics do what images of Hindley cannot do, however clever the artistic manipulations of her photograph may or may not be. Morrissey imagines the ghosts of the murdered children speaking to their killers. His Hindley is a woman in hell, haunted by the innocents she helped to slaughter. Reading Morrissey’s words again after all these years reminds me that art can be compassionate: “We may be dead and we may be gone/ But we will be, we will be, we will be, right by your side/ Until the day you die.”

521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
dont be a jerk. there are enough of those around here already, you know?

You are spamming this thread with irrelevant, personal, off-topic discussion. There is a place for that (even a separate sub-forum) and it isn't GD. How does pointing that out make me a jerk? When Solo was a functioning entity instead of whatever it is now, the mods would have moved half the posts anyway but they are too picking fights these days.

You are spamming this thread with irrelevant, personal, off-topic discussion. There is a place for that (even a separate sub-forum) and it isn't GD. How does pointing that out make me a jerk? When Solo was a functioning entity instead of whatever it is now, the mods would have moved half the posts anyway but they are too picking fights these days.
insufficient interest, darling. mwah!

We have lives too. Report something you think shouldn't be there and we'll do something. It's been a while since we had a report. Go ahead.

We have lives too. Report something you think shouldn't be there and we'll do something. It's been a while since we had a report. Go ahead.

I wouldn't waste the energy, Skinny, I've made my point.

You two could have taken your discussion to private messages about 10 pages back, instead of hijacking someone else's thread and driving it into complete redundancy, you know?

Oh sheesh. it's the So Low police. You actually care about people having a conversation? You truly are a boring person.

Oh sheesh. it's the So Low police. You actually care about people having a conversation? You truly are a boring person.

not only boring but petty and oafish. why? because who the hell protests against people having pleasant conversations that do no harm to anyone in threads that people had no more use for anyway, and that likely would be buried ten pages back at this point? especially when the person protesting clearly had no valuable contribution to make to the original thread anyway? oh what's that amy, you had something you were just itching to say on the topic but were stopped by mine and waters posts? no, you didnt, and you know it. i could understand being annoyed if this was the way we carried on in more than one thread or in threads that are hot topics, but you know, neither of us would do that, because unlike you, amy, i dont think either of us relishes the idea of making pathetic jerks of ourselves on internet forums. and if that's what your point is--that you're a pathetic jerk/petty oaf--than yeah, I guess you really made it (i cant really see that you had any other point?)-- and so to that i say, congratulations amy, i have no doubt you're living up to your full potential. ;)

Explain why.
maybe it's the part about you being a pitiful old bastard who's sitting there just salivating at the idea of someone making a report so that you can wield some of your imaginary power? very embarrassing and regrettable behaviour in someone of your mature years, I must say.

Last edited:
not only boring but petty and oafish. why? because who the hell protests against people having pleasant conversations that do no harm to anyone in threads that people had no more use for anyway, and that likely would be buried ten pages back at this point? especially when the person protesting clearly had no valuable contribution to make to the original thread anyway? oh what's that amy, you had something you were just itching to say on the topic but were stopped by mine and waters posts? no, you didnt, and you know it. i could understand being annoyed if this was the way we carried on in more than one thread or in threads that are hot topics, but you know, neither of us would do that, because unlike you, amy, i dont think either of us relishes the idea of making pathetic jerks of ourselves on internet forums. and if that's what your point is--that you're a pathetic jerk/petty oaf--than yeah, I guess you really made it (i cant really see that you had any other point?)-- and so to that i say, congratulations amy, i have no doubt you're living up to your full potential. ;)

I'm a pathetic jerk, and a petty oaf, because I criticised you? :lbf: how old are you? I've been "making an arse of myself" on Solo for 10 years (back when there was more to entertain Moz fans than this silly squabbling) and you've been around all of 4 months and think being abusive helps you to make a point.

maybe it's the part about you being a pitiful old bastard who's sitting there just salivating at the idea of someone making a report so that you can wield some of your imaginary power? very embarrassing and regrettable behaviour in someone of your mature years, I must say.
Ah. Wheeling out the ad homs. That'll strengthen your argument.

Ah. Wheeling out the ad homs. That'll strengthen your argument.
oh no no no you've mistaken my intentions. argument? lol i'm not arguing, what is there to argue about? two things: 1)I don't argue about things self-evident to anyone with half a brain, and 2) i dont argue with you since this is the first post of mine you have thus far not failed to respond to. i was describing you, rather. you know, characterizing you? it's fun for me because you're such a cliche that i never actually would have believed someone like you could possibly exist. so characterizing you, finding words to describe you, helps me, you see, to work through this incredulity i have about you, abour your existance, even if i never actually wanted to know someone like you existed in the first place. but now that I do, now that ive been unwittingly forced into that knowledge, i find writing about it helps me a great deal. sometimes i play a game with myself, where i try to think up all the words that suit you best. it's fun and so much more satisfying then if i were to say, just call you a f***ing idiot (you mentioned you have a daughter, skinny: tell me, how would you feel if some old crank twice her age called her a f***ing idiot for no reason at all?)

I would really appreciate now if you would respond to my other posts to you, and also maybe see about that report, because I know I'm not the only one who found your behaviour regrettable.

I think that hindley shirt is bad art

The song suffer little children was of course a touching tribute 2 the children who were murdered by brady and hindley
Theres actually a large painting of hindly composed using the hand prints of children!!!! apparently it sold for £1000s !!!!!!!!

Are there no ends 2 any reason!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom