How Soon Is Now 1986

G

goinghome

Per Aversion.com on vintage videos:
"Yeah, video technology kind of sucked in 1986, but fortunately, music didn't.

By 1986, The Smiths were at the top of their game, and not yet ready to implode under the tensions between singer Morrissey and guitarist Johnny Marr. The band delivers a smashing version of its immortal "How Soon Is Now" at the National Ballroom in Kilburn, England. Although a lot of that set ended up on 1988's Rank, this tune didn't make the cut."

[youtube]KmXAnB0mEvo&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

The eye notes Morrissey's swaying and behind him, the muscley hulk of Joyce nimbly tapping away, effortlessly in the groove. Shame what happened.

:horny:

I absolutely love this!! I love his charming, a bit awkward, dance. Everything but glamrock, as far from Wham! as you can get.

Absolutely awesome! How is it possible that this didn't make the final cut?!? Now I hope more than ever that they'll one day bring out a special edition with all the songs and in-between song chats! :guitar:

Of cause, it's never been played that amazing since 1986....nobody can beat Gannon's and Marr's work in "How Soon Is Now", it was the guitars and equipment they were using....it just sounds so amazing together! You know that "Meeeownn" guitar bit which is played throughout the song, it reminds me of an old fashioned steam boat siren in the 1986 bootlegs, it's great!

Hot diggity dog!

The sound and vid actually looked and sounded better than most, despite alot of jostling at the beginning.

What an erotic little dance. Wonder the cops didn't stop the show. :lbf:

I know the boot has been floating around for some time, but if anyone has a high-quality MP3 of this very song, I'd very much appreciate it.

P.

It was..Per Steve of Soundsville who captured the video back in 1986

"I've used 4 different audio sources. The main one is the Rank album, which I've used in its entirety. Then I used the Radio broadcast (most recent Satellite radio version), followed by an audience recording (DJ version) and a few little bits of missing crowd audio from the video soundtrack itself. "

http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2278

Has anyone ever dubbed Rank onto the vid?

Last edited:
I know the boot has been floating around for some time, but if anyone has a high-quality MP3 of this very song, I'd very much appreciate it.

P.

You mean higher quality than that? The owner on YouTube says that is from the radio re-broadcast.....surely that is floating around somewhere no?

You know that "Meeeownn" guitar bit which is played throughout the song...

I'll never hear that part the same again. :)

They were indeed at the very top of their game. It's great to see this, thanks for the post. Viva The Smiths!

Back
Top Bottom