'I Know Its Over'...question

P

Punk_lawyer

I voted in the recent poll about which Smiths song we would like to see Morrissey perform. My vote was for "This Charming Man". In seeing the final results of the poll I was left somewhat curious about what would have made "I Know Its Over" the most highly voted song. Don't get me wrong, I think that song is great for a number of reasons but I would love to hear what particular aspects of the song made it the most requested.

The Queen is Dead is my all-time favorite album from the Smiths. Every song on the album is classic. But I would rate two or three other songs on that album ahead of IKIO. Just my opinion.

Would someone post their insights on this song for me?

I think its a good song as well, but I can think of many other Smiths songs (some on that poll's list, others not) that I would rather hear Morrissey sing in concert. "I Know its Over" is a little slow for a concert setting, in my opinion. I want to hear more rocking songs live, and save the sadder ones for when I am drunk, alone, and misserable.

> I voted in the recent poll about which Smiths song we would like to see
> Morrissey perform. My vote was for "This Charming Man". In
> seeing the final results of the poll I was left somewhat curious about
> what would have made "I Know Its Over" the most highly voted
> song. Don't get me wrong, I think that song is great for a number of
> reasons but I would love to hear what particular aspects of the song made
> it the most requested.

> The Queen is Dead is my all-time favorite album from the Smiths. Every
> song on the album is classic. But I would rate two or three other songs on
> that album ahead of IKIO. Just my opinion.

> Would someone post their insights on this song for me?

You had to be there in 86. Seeing IKIO on The Queen Is Dead tour, it was normally the last song before encore and it brought the house down. For Smiths fans at that time, and still, it really is one of THE Top 5 anthems. The simplicity of the music, the emotion of the lyrics, a devastating combination. Hence it was even included on WEA's crappy Very Best of Smiths CD. It really is a key song in their repertoire. So Im guessing that it's stood the test of time and that is why it won.

I voted for 'I Know It's Over' as well. It is my 2nd fav song (1st being 'There Is a Light...'). I just have a feeling that the lyrics have a really deep meaning to many Smiths fans. Still -- to this day, whenever I hear it my stomach is in knots and a strange feeling comes over me. I'm not usually a very emotional person, but you put 'I Know It's Over' on and they all come pooring out. I really can't explain it. I would kill to here this song live but I don't know if I could handle it.
It is very near and dear to my heart.

> I think its a good song as well, but I can think of many other Smiths
> songs (some on that poll's list, others not) that I would rather hear
> Morrissey sing in concert. "I Know its Over" is a little slow
> for a concert setting, in my opinion. I want to hear more rocking songs
> live, and save the sadder ones for when I am drunk, alone, and misserable.

Almost identical to my sentiments. Although I like some of the slower things played live - "Now My Heart Is Full" for example is rather slow but is great to hear.

> You had to be there in 86. Seeing IKIO on The Queen Is Dead tour, it was
> normally the last song before encore and it brought the house down. For
> Smiths fans at that time, and still, it really is one of THE Top 5
> anthems. The simplicity of the music, the emotion of the lyrics, a
> devastating combination. Hence it was even included on WEA's crappy Very
> Best of Smiths CD. It really is a key song in their repertoire. So Im
> guessing that it's stood the test of time and that is why it won.

this charming man is an overated song.lryically it is not one of morrisseys better ones in my humble opinion.It leaves me feeling numb.the music is quite good but the fact that is has been played to death and is the only smiths song yuou will hear at clubs/radio stations.

to quote someone somewhere "it says nothing to me about my life"

songs like there is a light ,i know its over and well i wonder consantly finishes ahead of it ,in polls by die hard fans.

> this charming man is an overated song.lryically it is not one of
> morrisseys better ones in my humble opinion.It leaves me feeling numb.the
> music is quite good but the fact that is has been played to death and is
> the only smiths song yuou will hear at clubs/radio stations.

> to quote someone somewhere "it says nothing to me about my life"

> songs like there is a light ,i know its over and well i wonder consantly
> finishes ahead of it ,in polls by die hard fans.

Oh really, please cite those polls to me. "There is a light" is spectacular. One of the greatest songs of all time in any genre. "This Charming Man" represents early genius from the Smiths. Think of when it was recorded and in what type of environment as opposed to the later songs that you mention.

As for die hard fans, I certainly count myself among that group. I have no problems voting for any of the songs you mentioned but of that list the one I most want to hear right now is TCM. Is the reason that you like that song because 'die hards' like it or is there something else that speaks to you about the song?

I voted for IKIO as well. My favourite smiths song changes on almost daily basis and I'm sure most people have the same experience. It's impossible to name a permanent favourite. But, overall, I think IKIO is their best. Today, anyway.

> Oh really, please cite those polls to me. "There is a light" is
> spectacular. One of the greatest songs of all time in any genre.
> "This Charming Man" represents early genius from the Smiths.
> Think of when it was recorded and in what type of environment as opposed
> to the later songs that you mention.

Re: polls - there's this one http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/mope/mope2.htm (from a few years ago, so it doesn't include any Maladjusted songs - which probably wouldn't have changed the results significantly :)). It includes both Smiths and Morrissey solo songs, so you'll need to filter the list. Of course, it's an unscientific survey (like the polls on this site.)

I think there's an effect tho' where 'diehard' fans of any artist (perhaps unconciously) mark down an artist's well known/commercially successful songs in this type of ranking (for example, look at the ranking of 'Suedehead' in this poll.)

> Re: polls - there's this one
> http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/mope/mope2.htm (from a few years ago,
> so it doesn't include any Maladjusted songs - which probably wouldn't have
> changed the results significantly :)). It includes both Smiths and
> Morrissey solo songs, so you'll need to filter the list. Of course, it's
> an unscientific survey (like the polls on this site.)

I am SHOCKED that 'Unloveable' didn't make the list! I love that song!
'Half a Person' only at #22?? Truly disappointed.

> I am SHOCKED that 'Unloveable' didn't make the list! I love that song!
> 'Half a Person' only at #22?? Truly disappointed.
Look where "Golden Lights" is ranked !!!

> I am SHOCKED that 'Unloveable' didn't make the list! I love that song!
> 'Half a Person' only at #22?? Truly disappointed.

Honestly, in reading the list, it makes me believe that there are so many great songs to choose from that poll results would be inherently skewed. I would have a very hard time choosing my top ten songs.

> Look where "Golden Lights" is ranked !!!

Holy shit!! Who are these crackheads?? #31. I don't feel so good.

i'd really like to hear Moz perform "Paint a vulgar picture" before "speedway" that could be really nice

> Still -- to this day, whenever I
> hear it my stomach is in knots and a strange feeling comes over me. I'm
> not usually a very emotional person, but you put 'I Know It's Over' on and
> they all come pooring out. I really can't explain it. I would kill to here
> this song live but I don't know if I could handle it.
> It is very near and dear to my heart.

I agree with you on this one! I am the same way..doesn't matter how many times I listen to it, and you're right..it is almost impossible to explain.

Back
Top Bottom