Morrissey and MEAT: I Prefer Morrissey

I

IHateMeat

Morrissey is protesting this slaughter of 350,000 animals in Canada which is admirable. Whether you agree or not, it's good to see public figures stand up for their beliefs.

But why is Morrissey playing America then?

According to the FDA, the United States slaughters more than a million cows EVERY DAY.

You would think Morrissey would find as much worth in a cow's life as in a baby seal's.

Plus, the UK still has its annual fox hunting season, which Morrissey has gone on record condemning. So why isn't he boycotting the UK?

Now I fully support Morrissey and his causes, I just wonder why he selects certain markets to boycott and not others when they are committing as great or greater atrocities.

just read up...it's a the baby seal cause is a current cause many celebrities are on top of and many animal rights groups. he is a supporter of peta who is currently campaigning against the clubbing. so it makes sense he is doing this now. he's is simply supporting an already existing boycott

> Morrissey is protesting this slaughter of 350,000 animals in Canada which
> is admirable. Whether you agree or not, it's good to see public figures
> stand up for their beliefs.

> But why is Morrissey playing America then?

> According to the FDA, the United States slaughters more than a million
> cows EVERY DAY.

> You would think Morrissey would find as much worth in a cow's life as in a
> baby seal's.

> Plus, the UK still has its annual fox hunting season, which Morrissey has
> gone on record condemning. So why isn't he boycotting the UK?

> Now I fully support Morrissey and his causes, I just wonder why he selects
> certain markets to boycott and not others when they are committing as
> great or greater atrocities.

> Morrissey is protesting this slaughter of 350,000 animals in Canada which
> is admirable. Whether you agree or not, it's good to see public figures
> stand up for their beliefs.

> But why is Morrissey playing America then?

> According to the FDA, the United States slaughters more than a million
> cows EVERY DAY.

> You would think Morrissey would find as much worth in a cow's life as in a
> baby seal's.

> Plus, the UK still has its annual fox hunting season, which Morrissey has
> gone on record condemning. So why isn't he boycotting the UK?

> Now I fully support Morrissey and his causes, I just wonder why he selects
> certain markets to boycott and not others when they are committing as
> great or greater atrocities.

I can explain: Morrissey is boycotting neither UK or USA because he as a viable fan base and has been givent he "go ahead" to tour there. Canada appears to not be financially viable or administratively possible for some reason. So our favorite elitist crybaby decides, "f*** it, i'll make it about the seal hunt."
Morrissey is a businessman. Plain and simple. The man once condemned LA for being a Police State and called the Italian police lovely helpful gentlemen. YEs, the same facists who shot carlo at the G-8 protests in Genoa. Italy deployed the worlds largest combined police and military force in history for the domestic repression of its citizen protestors. Assshole morrissey finds them to be gentle beings who are only stolling about to give directions to him to the closest ostritch skin shop where he can get a new dust cover for his fax machine.

I in no way am in agreement with the killing of cattle for any reason but again the argument doesn't hold up that it is the same as this seal issue. Are those seals being killed for the main purpose of feeding people? That's not the story behind it as I've read. They are both cruel and disgusting but there is a difference. That in part is why Moz is protesting the seal clubbings and not the US for the death of cattle.

> I can explain: Morrissey is boycotting neither UK or USA because he as a
> viable fan base and has been givent he "go ahead" to tour there.
> Canada appears to not be financially viable or administratively possible
> for some reason. So our favorite elitist crybaby decides, "f*** it,
> i'll make it about the seal hunt."
> Morrissey is a businessman. Plain and simple. The man once condemned LA
> for being a Police State and called the Italian police lovely helpful
> gentlemen. YEs, the same facists who shot carlo at the G-8 protests in
> Genoa. Italy deployed the worlds largest combined police and military
> force in history for the domestic repression of its citizen protestors.
> Assshole morrissey finds them to be gentle beings who are only stolling
> about to give directions to him to the closest ostritch skin shop where he
> can get a new dust cover for his fax machine.

well obviously the one Italian police officer he had to speak to was very nice. even i am impressed when a NYPD officer is nice to the point where i even smile back and say thanks. Usually it's "f*** you asshole", under my breath.

but your reason for morrissey doing this is way off and you know it.

> I in no way am in agreement with the killing of cattle for any reason but
> again the argument doesn't hold up that it is the same as this seal issue.
> Are those seals being killed for the main purpose of feeding people?
> That's not the story behind it as I've read. They are both cruel and
> disgusting but there is a difference. That in part is why Moz is
> protesting the seal clubbings and not the US for the death of cattle.

I really don't see the difference between killing for meat and killing for fur, you're still killing the animals, the animals die. If you're talking about killing for food out of necessity, as if we're natives in the plains or in the jungle, then sure, I can accept that. But as industrialized as we are today in the 21st century, we don't NEED to eat meat to survive.

Having said that, in any case, those cows are also being slaughtered for leather.

Maybe as puddle mentioned this is the "cause de jour" for celebrities, and I'm glad Morrissey is bringing attention to it. However, I just wished he was more consistent in his causes.

And somehow I do feel for the Canadian fans for if they love Morrissey as much as I do, I would be shattered if he boycotted playing for my city, especially since I'm sure the great majority of them like me support his causes.

> I really don't see the difference between killing for meat and killing for
> fur, you're still killing the animals, the animals die. If you're talking
> about killing for food out of necessity, as if we're natives in the plains
> or in the jungle, then sure, I can accept that. But as industrialized as
> we are today in the 21st century, we don't NEED to eat meat to survive.

> Having said that, in any case, those cows are also being slaughtered for
> leather.

> Maybe as puddle mentioned this is the "cause de jour" for
> celebrities, and I'm glad Morrissey is bringing attention to it. However,
> I just wished he was more consistent in his causes.

> And somehow I do feel for the Canadian fans for if they love Morrissey as
> much as I do, I would be shattered if he boycotted playing for my city,
> especially since I'm sure the great majority of them like me support his
> causes.

if he were consistent he would have to boycott the whole world. the baby seal thing sticks out which is why many are on top of it. morrissey is against the slaughter of cows...listen to "meat is murder", but come on, who boycotts because of that? it's impossible.

> if he were consistent he would have to boycott the whole world. the baby
> seal thing sticks out which is why many are on top of it. morrissey is
> against the slaughter of cows...listen to "meat is murder", but
> come on, who boycotts because of that? it's impossible.

You're right, but I wonder if this boycotting of Canada is just as implausible. I mean in the end, who are you really hurting? Morrissey fans of course. You're denying them the pleasure and the priviledge of seeing you live, when they probably support you 100%. I mean, if this "canceling of shows" hurts anyone financially, its perhaps the Canadian music promoter and the Canadian stage hands, not whom you are targeting which is the Canadial seal fur industry, whoever they are.

So yes, I think he's right in bringing attention to this cause, but no, I don't he made a wise decision in punishing his Canadian fans who have nothing to do with the seal hunt. From what I read, the people that benefit most from the hunt are indigenous Inuit natives and I doubt many of them have a radio, much less a Morrissey record.

Strangely there is also seal hunt in Alaska, though that hasn't stopped Morrissey from boycotting the USA.

Back
Top Bottom