Morrissey is evil according to Tony Wilson

According to Rogan, Morrissey was the first to make contact with Wilson, sending him a New York Dolls record to play on his TV show. They had some exchanges before The Smiths, too, Wilson claiming that he tried to help Morrissey get published and generally liked and supported him. (Their prior acquaintance is probably why he called him Steven, though it was still somewhat rude.)

By the way, I'm sure you know a lot more about Wilson than I do, having worked on a show with him, but if a power nap is supposed to be "diva"-ish behavior I'm bound to consider that praising with faint damnation. :)
he said once he couldnt imagine that morrissey could be a popstar but was convinced and smitten when he saw him at a hacienda gig..

wasnt that moz gave him some play about "eating toast in hulme" which he lost?
i remember reading that in an interview with wilson.

wasnt that moz gave him some play about "eating toast in hulme" which he lost? i remember reading that in an interview with wilson.

That's right. Wilson was quoted in Rogan's book as having read a really good play written by Morrissey. The subject of the play was toast, Wilson said, and Morrissey got the "tone" just right. I confess I don't know what the right tone of a "toast play" might be, but if anyone knew I'm sure it was Wilson.

Regarding John Peel, if you get a hold of the 'Rarities, B-sides and the Beeb' bootleg, it has a documentary where Marr, Mike Pickering, Peel, (I think) David Jensen and maybe one or two others (John Walters? I can't remember, it's been a while since I listened to it) talk about The Smiths inbetween recordings from the BBC sessions. What Peel says is basically what's already been mentioned, he certainly doesn't say anything that could be construed as negative. The bootleg is also available under a few different names, one being 'My Favourite Motorway Services', a bootleg taking it's name from a story Peel tells about meeting Moz at...well, a motorway service.

Just saw now that one of the bootlegs with this programme is currently up in the downloads-section. It's the one with Morrissey lying down on the cover with an Oscar Wilde book next to him. http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=109887

Back
Top Bottom