Morrissey : The Albums - Johnny Rogan

I know what you mean. After the Servered Alliance, I was really looking forward to it, but I've not even finished reading it. It's just dull! :(

I have just finished reading this. I could have written it myself
to be honest.

I know what you mean. After the Servered Alliance, I was really looking forward to it, but I've not even finished reading it. It's just dull! :(

My sentiments exactly, the book is just plain DULL. A lot of the comments seem to be rehashed excerpts from the Severed Alliance and many of the solo commentary relies on extensive interviews with session musicians. The book would probably be good for a newcomer to Morrissey. Aged 13. With no access to the internet. Dull dull dull

Well I don't know if any of you guys have read the songs that saved your life?
that was a great book. I was thinking of buying morrissey the albums, i heard it was good, but the same person also told me scandal and passion was good. Anyone read Morrissey In Conversation yet?

Well I don't know if any of you guys have read the songs that saved your life?
that was a great book. I was thinking of buying morrissey the albums, i heard it was good, but the same person also told me scandal and passion was good. Anyone read Morrissey In Conversation yet?

Morrissey in conversation is out the 31st of Jan or the 3rd of Feb :D

Last edited:
How can you say this book is boring??? I for one value the information relating to Andrew Paresi's drum patterns........:D

Based on the overwhelmingly negative reviews, I don't plan to pick it up, but I'm curious which Moz collaborators he interviewed? Don't any of them have anything interesting to say about working with Morrissey in the studio/live?

I bought this book last week, mainly because I wanted to get more of a feeling of where each Smiths/Morrissey album and song fits into the canon. I was hoping to get an idea of some of the meanings behind lyrics, and also some musical discussion.

I find Rogan to be too opinionated, which spoils my enjoyment of the book. It is plainly obvious that he has his own ideas about how Morrissey should have conducted his career, and it gets in the way of musical and lyrical analysis.

Il Mozzalini should pen his own song-by-song guide to his music.

Harry

Apart from the two most vital people who have worked with Moz as a solo artist, namely Mr Paresi and Johnny Bridgewood, I found the book lacking in clarity etc.

I also like the way Rogan mentions himself on at least 5 occasions, as if he was the fifth Smith or something. I MEAN HAVE YOU SEEN THE STATE OF HIM? He looks like a weirdo.

think I'll wait 'til I can pick it from the bargain bins (which shouldn't be to long)

love

Grim

Apart from the two most vital people who have worked with Moz as a solo artist, namely Mr Paresi and Johnny Bridgewood, I found the book lacking in clarity etc.

This is sarcasm, right? I'm only checking because on this site you get people who worship all different aspects and people in the World of Morrissey.

I always find it interesting when authors who were considered quite strong in pre-internet days (I'm not saying "Severed Alliance" was a masterpiece, but it's still considered an important book in rock music history), completey wither when they're faced with extensive data mining as we know it today.

If I were writing these kinds of books, I'd make sure it contained a lot of exclusive material that wasn't on the internet, period. I seems like Rogan thought he could "wing it" based on the first tome. Shoppers are too savvy now.

Can't see why Bret's book gets a slagging TBH, I liked it. Not a fan of Severed Alliance really. If I ever see Rogan I hope have a firearm with me.

It gets a slagging because it's full of gossip and lies.

I'll re-read it. Besides, it's hardly the first book about Morrissey which you can say that about is it?

Can't see why Bret's book gets a slagging TBH, I liked it. Not a fan of Severed Alliance really. If I ever see Rogan I hope have a firearm with me.

in order not to repeat myself:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=66464&highlight=david+bret

or if you want a short answer:

1) no actual new information, just rehash of old articles and interviews that anyone can find on internet
2) loads of misquotes of the said articles and interviews
3) no sources named for his supposed 'insider' quotes
4) unconfirmed rumours stated as facts
5) full of ridiculous and irrelevant comments

...at least that's in the part of the book that I read, somehow I doubt that it gets any better in the rest of the book - it certainly doesn't seem so from other people's quotes. Such as:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67024&page=2&highlight=david+bret

which means, besides being another example of 4) that also: 6) he can't even get the chronology right

in short:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=448256&postcount=23

That picture of Rogan on the back cover is truly scary:eek: The book is quite enjoyable though. Half way through it and haven't binned it yet.

Thanks

As I said, i'll re-read it.

I'll re-read it. Besides, it's hardly the first book about Morrissey which you can say that about is it?
You can say that about any book. The difference is that in this case it's true.

But Scandal and Passion is not all gossip and lies. I'm sure there are also lots of genuine mistakes, and there's certainly a lot of nonsense. And maybe, just maybe there is somewhere along the way some accurate quote from an interview that is available online, though I can't vouch for that.

Back
Top Bottom