Moz and his Mexican followers

N

Notastitchtowear

There was a write up in the SF Chronicle "pink pages" about Morrissey's upcoming shows. They wrote about Moz's new fans, Mexicans(and according to the paper, they like the Cure too), and about how he's touring with Jaguares. If I hadn't been reading this board and keeping up with the latest Moz news I would swear the writer of the Chronicle had lost his mind! So I gotta ask, why are latinos drawn to Morrisseys music? This could be worthy of a socialogical study.

Seriously, im already sick of hearing about all this latino Morrissey fan stuff, I dont see the big deal with the whole thing. It's not that big a deal, but my 2 cents in all this and all I can say for my MEXICAN ass is that the way I got into ol' Mozzer was throught my older sister and brother, cosins, ect... (we run in big packs!) Back then when they were in high school (mid 1980's-mid 1990's) The Smiths and Morrissey were "Cool" but they would be caught dead before anyone of their age and race would find out they were into that kind of stuff. All that was in in those days were lowriders, big cha-cha hair, Aqua Net, 3 flowers and hair nets for the "vatos", (well at least in the ghetto, can't say the same for Beverrrly Hillz)

As the years went by things started changing, and alternative started getting cool. But eventually all the Smiths/Moz fans of the family didn't really care for the deppressing words of Moz AND the cure (yes, they we're also fans of the cure, along with Depech Mode and R.E.M etc.) and they got over it.

And at the end, the only part of my life I'm thankfull for is the Nosieness phase I went through as a child! Without that I would have never snooped around my sister's belongings and found The Morrissey tapes she hid for a few years. THen I got to them and all hell has been loose since about 1995.

Now im pushing 18, my mother says I worship Moz as a god, father is on my side (of course, that man is like putty in my hands, only because I'm the baby of the family) and my ex-moz-fan-brother questions why is it I love this ""gay?"" man, sister can't believe I get away with travilin' far just to see Moz in concert and the rest of the cousin's just can't put all the Let's-make-fun of her because she into Morrissey Jokes aside.

I wasn't even aware I was a "Mexican folower" of Mozzer's until this whole fasination came up, I thought I was just another Moz/Smiths fan who claimed to be the biggets fan, lol. I'm sure im not the only one with the same story around here, but unlike the rest of my family I will not let go of my Morrissey in this life time, and would like to be cremated along with all my Morrissey memorabillia the day I die!!

Oh yeah, and the reason I MYSELF look to Moz is because of his voice, his public persona, and like most of us I feel as if HE really does understand or It seems as if he understands.

Don't get me wrong, wasn't a child prodigy growing up, it took me a while to figure out what Morrissey was singing about. What first attracted me to him was the fact that the music itself along with Morrissey's tune of voice seemed to drown out everything that bugged me during "childhood-teenhood" his music was sort of a Lullaby for me.

> Oh yeah, and the reason I MYSELF look to Moz is because of his voice, his
> public persona, and like most of us I feel as if HE really does understand
> or It seems as if he understands.

> Don't get me wrong, wasn't a child prodigy growing up, it took me a while
> to figure out what Morrissey was singing about. What first attracted me to
> him was the fact that the music itself along with Morrissey's tune of
> voice seemed to drown out everything that bugged me during
> "childhood-teenhood" his music was sort of a Lullaby for me.

Thank you, that's all I was looking for. You gave me some insight into your interests and fandom of Morrissey. I just find it fascinating when cultures cross over into other (in this case American) subcultures because often it's very unexpected. I believe you hinted that you are a woman, and that's not so unexpected for you to like Moz as it would be for a man to be. If a Latino man were listening to Moz/Smith's music, I know he would be shunned by his community because Moz isn't exactly a symbol of machismo. I live in an area where there is a very large population of latinos and one thing you never see is a slammed pick-up truck full of Latinos booming Morrissey music. So this topic is interesting to me, sorry if I offended you but thanks for explaining.

Yes I completly undrestand where your coming from, I myself live in that same invironment and its really pointless for the guys to be embarassed about liking Morrissey type music. Yeah some people my think he sings a bit of the other side of the tracks, but thats not all that he's about! Some are just too afraid to like that type of music even if it doesn't apply to them. Go figure!

p.s No offense was taken, I know I might have sounded a bit annoyed but it wasn't because of your curiosity, It's just that whole "latino Morrissey fans" subject that journalist just won't put down. My question has always been, what is it that attracts non-speaking english fans from around the world who don't quite undrestands Morrissey's words? Is it the music? Why don't journalist write about that? I hope they do soon because im quite interested in that.

Re: Moz and his Fat followers

Whats the deal with this?? too many tubbys at his show recently. Richard simmons would be proud of these obese beasts. makes me laugh everytime I see one. they buy up all the XL shirts and wear them clearly knowing they need to buy one bigger. Maybe thats why these t-shirt companies only sell moz z shirts in sizes upto XL?? people will get a clue and drop the necessary tonage to wear one??

> There was a write up in the SF Chronicle "pink pages" about
> Morrissey's upcoming shows. They wrote about Moz's new fans, Mexicans(and
> according to the paper, they like the Cure too), and about how he's
> touring with Jaguares. If I hadn't been reading this board and keeping up
> with the latest Moz news I would swear the writer of the Chronicle had
> lost his mind! So I gotta ask, why are latinos drawn to Morrisseys music?
> This could be worthy of a socialogical study.
-------------
hey there , since you ask I just wanna clarify also, i am tired of reading again the same responses from "latino/mexican fans" (no offense cheeky)the person that answered you : Cheeky, answers probably to what you ask , mexicans living in the USA and specifically in California , I really wonder; the people that wonders the same, do they realise the difference between mexican-americans and real mexican citizens from Mexico city -my case- ??? we're not the same, but we like the same,as cheeky I dont see any big deal on that , never realised either or made any difference with other mozz followers until recently noticed by media and obviously Morrissey attraction to mexican saga in LA , but I tell you if you went to Mexico city gig in 2000 you'd see a totally different audience.

Im not gonna go into neverending or boring details , but I am 31 years old , my mother tongue is spanish, got into The Smiths and Morrissey when I was 17, I dont even remember how(I'm a single child, no brotherly influence,perhaps radio..),I have always liked waaay different music than "what latins like" (myth too) I don't like "jaguares" , eventhough they're contemporary ,I've never EVER liked them. I also like Depeche Mode,Radiohead,Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Suede, manics etc..- I' m not gay , I dont have any tattoo and probably don't look like a characteristic smiths fan.

But to be honest sometimes I feel thrilled about this mexican obsession, and I wonder whose mexicans he is referring to ? he knows a bit about mexican culture he loves Puerto Vallarta BTW..but who knows..

-I don't live in the US either-

my two cents .. here ..
una mexicana.

why are latinos drawn to Morrisseys music?

I think it's because Morrissey is the new Juan Gabriel!

Morrissey and his Mexican followers (or on the contingencies of morrissey fans)

In regard to earlier messages...

This has nothing to do with "Mexican" followers, rather, it has to do with wannabe rockabillies, a lot of which happen to be Mexican-Americans living in California. It's just a fad, it'll die out. I have no idea how "regular," Morrissey fans are, since I never really mingled too much with that crowd outside of the club circuit (... and my misconception led me to believe they fell into five categories: literate, erudite people; girls (you could say crazy girls as well, as you can see that from reading this site); the regular subculture kid (in this case anglophile, which could range from any subculture of English decent, of course, with a mix of Americana into it); the "regular" guy; those with ambivalent sexuality). In the club circuit you get a mix of everything, since at venues that play such music you get a mix of everything that's British, which would lead you to the assumption that subculture kids would mostly be Morrissey fans. Upon going to Morrissey show, however, you immediately notice that such an assumption may not be completely accurate.
So what you get is this kind of paradoxical binary relation of Morrissey fans -- the wannabe rockabillies who don't know any better, and who probably do not listen to any other music outside this spectrum (you can even say they're reminiscent of the so called "punks" you see in the club circuit), a lot of which happen to be Mexican, as they run in packs and use this marginal status as a invocation for the change in his fan base (as marginality does have the power to create change). You also get these neurotic fans (internet people) on the opposite spectrum who are pushing for the same thing.
I don't know what to say about this. Morrissey obviously transcends and confuses the fans' identities. One could go as far as to say that Morrissey fans ultimately lack self-identity. Listening and repeating his words are a usage of language, but if you don't know this language, you have no identity. Do you guys get the point I'm trying to get at? (If you still don't, just read some posts with references to things Morrissey says.)

... just some quick thoughts.

-d

Morrissey and his Mexican followers (or on the contingencies of morrissey fans)

In regard to earlier messages...

This has nothing to do with "Mexican" followers, rather, it has to do with wannabe rockabillies, a lot of which happen to be Mexican-Americans living in California. It's just a fad, it'll die out. I have no idea how "regular," Morrissey fans are, since I never really mingled too much with that crowd outside of the club circuit (... and my misconception led me to believe they fell into five categories: literate, erudite people; girls (you could say crazy girls as well, as you can see that from reading this site); the regular subculture kid (in this case anglophile, which could range from any subculture of English decent, of course, with a mix of Americana into it); the "regular" guy; those with ambivalent sexuality). In the club circuit you get a mix of everything, since at venues that play such music you get a mix of everything that's British, which would lead you to the assumption that subculture kids would mostly be Morrissey fans. Upon going to Morrissey show, however, you immediately notice that such an assumption may not be completely accurate.
So what you get is this kind of paradoxical binary relation of Morrissey fans -- the wannabe rockabillies who don't know any better, and who probably do not listen to any other music outside this spectrum (you can even say they're reminiscent of the so called "punks" you see in the club circuit), a lot of which happen to be Mexican, as they run in packs and use this marginal status as a invocation for the change in his fan base (as marginality does have the power to create change). You also get these neurotic fans (internet people) on the opposite spectrum who are pushing for the same thing.
I don't know what to say about this. Morrissey obviously transcends and confuses the fans' identities. One could go as far as to say that Morrissey fans ultimately lack self-identity. Listening and repeating his words are a usage of language, but if you don't know this language, you have no identity. Do you guys get the point I'm trying to get at? (If you still don't, just read some posts with references to things Morrissey says.)

... just some quick thoughts.

-d

Re: Morrissey and his Mexican followers (or on the contingencies of morrissey fans)

> In regard to earlier messages...

> This has nothing to do with "Mexican" followers, rather, it has
> to do with wannabe rockabillies, a lot of which happen to be
> Mexican-Americans living in California. It's just a fad, it'll die out. I
> have no idea how "regular," Morrissey fans are, since I never
> really mingled too much with that crowd outside of the club circuit (...
> and my misconception led me to believe they fell into five categories:
> literate, erudite people; girls (you could say crazy girls as well, as you
> can see that from reading this site); the regular subculture kid (in this
> case anglophile, which could range from any subculture of English decent,
> of course, with a mix of Americana into it); the "regular" guy;
> those with ambivalent sexuality). In the club circuit you get a mix of
> everything, since at venues that play such music you get a mix of
> everything that's British, which would lead you to the assumption that
> subculture kids would mostly be Morrissey fans. Upon going to Morrissey
> show, however, you immediately notice that such an assumption may not be
> completely accurate.
> So what you get is this kind of paradoxical binary relation of Morrissey
> fans -- the wannabe rockabillies who don't know any better, and who
> probably do not listen to any other music outside this spectrum (you can
> even say they're reminiscent of the so called "punks" you see in
> the club circuit), a lot of which happen to be Mexican, as they run in
> packs and use this marginal status as a invocation for the change in his
> fan base (as marginality does have the power to create change). You also
> get these neurotic fans (internet people) on the opposite spectrum who are
> pushing for the same thing.
> I don't know what to say about this. Morrissey obviously transcends and
> confuses the fans' identities. One could go as far as to say that
> Morrissey fans ultimately lack self-identity. Listening and repeating his
> words are a usage of language, but if you don't know this language, you
> have no identity. Do you guys get the point I'm trying to get at? (If you
> still don't, just read some posts with references to things Morrissey
> says.)

> ... just some quick thoughts.

> -d

I think I do see your point, and for the most part I agree. I know what you mean about the Rockabilly's (who most likely don't even know what true rockabilly is),who dress this way because it's an easy enough look to emulate, it looks 'cool' and since Moz sported a similar look at one point they can relate to that.
However, Morrissey seems to influence his bands in very different ways which translates into many kinds of different subculture cliques. In other words, there's no single archetypical Morrissey/Smith fan, there are several which I think is somewhat unusual for a rock/alternative star. I don't know that all of his fans have self-identity problems, I think for any 'star', there are fans who really have this problem, they dress, act, and take on the perceived personality of their idol. But certainly Moz's fans do not share this problem with say the hard core followers of Greatful Dead or Madonna. I find that a certain 'type' of person or personality is drawn to Morrissey and his music but it's not something that can be spotted yards away. He has a very broad fan base and I think this makes him all the more interesting, as are the 'people watching' at his shows. Thank you for your input, it's interesting to get different points of views on this topic.

Re: Morrissey and his Mexican followers (or on the contingencies of morrissey fans)

What happens is you get the moderate to the extreme with the dressing. About your second point - I thought that a certain "type" listened to Morrissey as well, but upon evaluation of attending shows and a lot of oldwave/britpop nights (ironically enough the britpop people seem a little more focused than the oldwave crowd) I've come to the conclusion of the self-identity problem. It's almost as if these fans are like any other fans that you mention. Earlier I avoided referring to many specifics, but as I was getting to the posts on this site, for instance, you can see that you find various levels of incoherent dialectics... in other words, pseudo-intellectuals. What I think attributes this is the fact that such fans seem to think that listening to Morrissey elevates their "academic" (for the lack of a better word) status amongst others. A classic example would be a post I read not too long ago, in the lines of "... I am no prodigy, it took me a while to figure out the lyrics." I think I was getting to the whole self-identity thing because of girls. I didn't want to digress into a sexist parallel (it is not intended to be such), but if you really get to know girls who listen to Morrissey, not a lot of them are very smart, and a lot of them are very easy to get in bed. Of course, this raises all kinds of issues about identity and self-esteem.
He does have a broad fanbase, and that is interesting. I guess I'm commenting on the archetypical fan. Anyway, I'm pressed for time, gotta go, but finally we engaged in an interesting discussion here.

> I think I do see your point, and for the most part I agree. I know what
> you mean about the Rockabilly's (who most likely don't even know what true
> rockabilly is),who dress this way because it's an easy enough look to
> emulate, it looks 'cool' and since Moz sported a similar look at one point
> they can relate to that.
> However, Morrissey seems to influence his bands in very different ways
> which translates into many kinds of different subculture cliques. In other
> words, there's no single archetypical Morrissey/Smith fan, there are
> several which I think is somewhat unusual for a rock/alternative star. I
> don't know that all of his fans have self-identity problems, I think for
> any 'star', there are fans who really have this problem, they dress, act,
> and take on the perceived personality of their idol. But certainly Moz's
> fans do not share this problem with say the hard core followers of
> Greatful Dead or Madonna. I find that a certain 'type' of person or
> personality is drawn to Morrissey and his music but it's not something
> that can be spotted yards away. He has a very broad fan base and I think
> this makes him all the more interesting, as are the 'people watching' at
> his shows. Thank you for your input, it's interesting to get different
> points of views on this topic.

> why are latinos drawn to Morrisseys music?

> I think it's because Morrissey is the new Juan Gabriel!
----------
Eeeeeww... DO NOT count me in .

what an aversion!

> ----------
> Eeeeeww... DO NOT count me in .

> what an aversion!

The comment was a joke (sort of)... The Moz has been so campy at his concerts on this tour that it remided me of Juan Gabriel. Mind you, getting two Morrissey fans to agree on any issue is a serious challenge!

> The comment was a joke (sort of)... The Moz has been so campy at his
> concerts on this tour that it remided me of Juan Gabriel. Mind you,
> getting two Morrissey fans to agree on any issue is a serious challenge!
----------
Okay ..
pheeeewww.. you scared me .. :p

> What I think attributes this is the
> fact that such fans seem to think that listening to Morrissey elevates
> their "academic" (for the lack of a better word) status amongst
> others. A classic example would be a post I read not too long ago, in the
> lines of "... I am no prodigy, it took me a while to figure out the
> lyrics." I think I was getting to the whole self-identity thing
> because of girls. I didn't want to digress into a sexist parallel (it is
> not intended to be such), but if you really get to know girls who listen
> to Morrissey, not a lot of them are very smart, and a lot of them are very
> easy to get in bed. Of course, this raises all kinds of issues about
> identity and self-esteem.

I was part of that classic example you reffered to, "... I am no prodigy, it took me a while to figure out the lyrics." I do agree with you completly that some girls aren't as bright *lightbulbs* as others, although what I think you were reffering to was when I said "Don't get me wrong, i wasn't a child prodigy growing up, it took me a while to figure out what Morrissey was singing about."
that was due to lyrics of albums such as Viva Hate, Vaxhall and I, and Southpaw Grammar to name a few which have lyrics that a 10year old child might have troble swallowing like I did. During that age I had no f***en clue as to what the lyrics meant, the only thing that caught my ears was how different his sound was than anything I was costom to before my older siblings started listening to Moz. As I got older and less naïve I would say "ohhhh I kinda get what he means by that" but I still have many songs that I question. I figure i'm still young enough not to understand certain things that go on.

Aside from that part, I gotta say for the first time this truly is a subject worth reading, you made an interesting point when you said " if you really get to know girls who listen to Morrissey, not a lot of them are very smart, and a lot of them are very easy to get in bed. Of course, this raises all kinds of issues about identity and self-esteem." I think people or girls to be specific are more at risk to have serious problem with self esteem and identity. I think it's all part of growing up and figuring things out, but in some cases a portion aren't able to resolve those issues which is really scarry. Alot of it I think has to deal with the way they grew up. As for girls who listen to Morrissey and are easy to get in bed, boy you hit the jackpot right in the gut! I to have seen that, but I doubt it has anything to do with dear old Moz.

Re: "girls who listen to Moz, not a lot of them are very smart, and a lot of them are very easy "

to get in bed."
Nice. I'm sure you're not speaking from personal experience though.

> I was part of that classic example you reffered to, "... I am no
> prodigy, it took me a while to figure out the lyrics." I do agree
> with you completly that some girls aren't as bright *lightbulbs* as
> others, although what I think you were reffering to was when I said
> "Don't get me wrong, i wasn't a child prodigy growing up, it took me
> a while to figure out what Morrissey was singing about."
> that was due to lyrics of albums such as Viva Hate, Vaxhall and I, and
> Southpaw Grammar to name a few which have lyrics that a 10year old child
> might have troble swallowing like I did.

Well, don't feel bad... I was gearing towards the 18+ crowd who feels that way; there are many. And that was the point I was getting at... that there's this lack of identification involved, be it through people who try to live their lives through Morrissey's life (i.e., "oh he said this book is good," or "that is quite blah blah blah") or people who just drop references without any contextual understanding of them. All this becomes troubling because by doing this you lack a common language and strip away your identity.
About your statement, however, it is a perfectly normal reaction when you're 10 years old.

>As I got older and less naïve I would
> say "ohhhh I kinda get what he means by that" but I still have
> many songs that I question. I figure i'm still young enough not to
> understand certain things that go on.

Just references, references, references. (Not to mention that he's the quintessential Freudian case.) In fact, a lot of it is how I got into the music in the first place, they were just there at the right time.

> Aside from that part, I gotta say for the first time this truly is a
> subject worth reading, you made an interesting point when you said "
> if you really get to know girls who listen to Morrissey, not a lot of them
> are very smart, and a lot of them are very easy to get in bed. Of course,
> this raises all kinds of issues about identity and self-esteem." I
> think people or girls to be specific are more at risk to have serious
> problem with self esteem and identity. I think it's all part of growing up
> and figuring things out, but in some cases a portion aren't able to
> resolve those issues which is really scarry. Alot of it I think has to
> deal with the way they grew up. As for girls who listen to Morrissey and
> are easy to get in bed, boy you hit the jackpot right in the gut! I to
> have seen that, but I doubt it has anything to do with dear old Moz.

This is actually a topic worthy of cultural studies, I'm glad you're interested in it as I am. I agree with you that in American society girls in particular do have a greater risk in establishing their self-esteem. I think this is what separates the overseas fans from the American fans (as they get a different mix of people).

About getting girls in bed, it seems that the regular club going Morrissey/Smiths fan uses the music for a false sense of nurturing. The fanatical fans are like that too, to a certain extent, but they have other envies.

Re: "girls who listen to Moz, not a lot of them are very smart, and a lot of them are very easy "

I'm not not speaking from personal experience.

> to get in bed."
> Nice. I'm sure you're not speaking from personal experience though.

Back
Top Bottom