Stevie Smith

T

Tingle

I've just watched again an old BBC 'Bookmark' documentary on poetess 'Stevie' Smith. I'm now wondering if Morrissey is known to have ever referred to Stevie Smith in an interview.

What can I tell you? She was born in 1902 in Hull but moved at a very young age to Palmers Green in London. Born Florence Maragret she was nick-named 'Stevie' after Steve Donoghue (a popular jockey of the time). [Radcliffe Hall anyone???!!]

Stevie Smith had success in the 1930's but was ignored for most of the 40s and 50s, regaining attention in the mid to late 60s. Morrissey would have been, what, 12 when she died in 1971. She never married or was known to have had a sexual relationship. Stevie Smith is known for writing about death, but her poems are humorous and also full of incite. Some of her work is published by 'Virago' whose books I know Morrissey has said he lingers round in WH Smiths.

The TV programme was very funny. Rather than straight questions and answers with people Stevie knew we are treated to the lady in the local hairdressers asking the questions - like they do - "So she never married then?" - her face when told that Stevie had escaped all relationships - ooh the pursed lips of disapproval!, and ladies in the local haberdashers ('Grouts') discussing her little white socks.

Back
Top Bottom