‘Paris’ first single from New Album?

Tbevie

Girl afraid
And THPGU also on the new album. Not so good news. :(

Taken from Boz interview from mozzette’s post.

On the new Morrisey album 'Years Of Refusal' I take it that it is two tracks that you have written together? (Black Cloud and Football Giveaway)
Football Giveaway? Where did you get that title?
Damn Wikipedia!
That's some instrumental music I wrote for a TV documentary called , strangely enough "Football Giveaway" , nothing to do with Morrissey. I have, however, 4 co-writes on the new Morrissey album, the first single of this year, which was, 'That's how people grow up," the next single which is 'I'm Throwing my Arms around Paris', a song called 'One day goodbye will be farewell' and the mighty 'Black Cloud' so only one point out of a possible 4 for you there!

Hmmmm, I guess Paris is one of the songs will be released as a single, not the first single from Years of Refusal.

I don't usually like to be negative about something that hasn't even happened yet, but if that's true -- big mistake.

I didn't mind That's How as throwaway pop confection, but it definitely doesn't deserve yet another airing as part of the new album.

And Paris as a lead off single (or any single)? Baaad choice. It's a pleasant song, but a b-side all the way (an actual b-side).

Whatever the "First of the Gang" or "Irish Blood" equivalent on this album is needs to be the first single. Something bold or incredibly catchy.

Looking forward to "Black Cloud" and Boz tracks on the Southpaw re-release!

I don't usually like to be negative about something that hasn't even happened yet, but if that's true -- big mistake.

I didn't mind That's How as throwaway pop confection, but it definitely doesn't deserve yet another airing as part of the new album.

I agree. Why take up a space on a new album with a song that has already been released on an album and as a single. It’s one of his weakest in my opinion.

Oh, and My Dearest Love definitely does deserve another airing as an album track. Especially as it only appeared on vinyl (did it ever end up being offered on iTunes etc?)

Oh, and My Dearest Love definitely does deserve another airing as an album track. Especially as it only appeared on vinyl (did it ever end up being offered on iTunes etc?)

No, it wasn't :(
I have gone off it a little now but I still think it's an excellent song. If that makes sense.

Well if that is single material, i certainly don't have much faith in the album as it stands. It's a good song but it's very bare and nothing exceptional.

We'll just have to see I suppose

Paris seems an odd choice when he has Mama and Skull to choose from, either of which would make far more impact. Paris is just asking for the "Morrissey is miserable, still singing about how no one loves him" criticism. It doesn't have a very original melody either.

And Paris as a lead off single (or any single)? Baaad choice. It's a pleasant song, but a b-side all the way (an actual b-side).

Whatever the "First of the Gang" or "Irish Blood" equivalent on this album is needs to be the first single. Something bold or incredibly catchy.

Looking forward to "Black Cloud" and Boz tracks on the Southpaw re-release!

Spot on as usual Leer, I agree completely (oh dear I seem to be agreeing to everything these days).

THPGU shouldn't be on it! It's always be a single and on the greatest hits.

Paris although i love the song i don't think is single material- although what really is?- From what we have heard i would have said SISMS would have been a good first single.

Meh, he almost always has a poor choice of what makes a single. This is the man who hoped "Hold On To Your Friends" was the best choice to follow up on the momentum of Ignore Me reaching the top ten afterall.

I actually disagree though with those saying Mama and Skull are better choices as singles. Paris does have a certain charm to it, and it's inoffensive enough to make in onto radio two quite easily. Although I prefer Mama and Skull as songs, Paris has an easier, softer sound that would fit better onto daytime radio play. Plus has an simple, memorable chorus, which helps.

That's probably the record company's thinking, that it will get radio play.

To be fair, it's not necessarily Morrissey's choice. I doubt he's in a position to dictate to the record company what the single should be. Even in The Smith's days Rough Trade had the final say on singles.

Well if that is single material, i certainly don't have much faith in the album as it stands. It's a good song but it's very bare and nothing exceptional.

We'll just have to see I suppose

Just wondering, were there the same worries before Ringleader was released?

Paris seems an odd choice when he has Mama and Skull to choose from, either of which would make far more impact. Paris is just asking for the "Morrissey is miserable, still singing about how no one loves him" criticism. It doesn't have a very original melody either.

I really dislike Mama, it sounds too much like Roy's Keen. It wasn't bad live but it really doesn't match the quality any of the Ringleader singles.

I would have said Skull would be the first single, mainly because it's the most memorable (?) of the four new songs and it was played on Jools Holland.
I'd like it to be One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell but I really doubt it will be.

THPGU shouldn't be on it! It's always be a single and on the greatest hits.

Paris although i love the song i don't think is single material- although what really is?- From what we have heard i would have said SISMS would have been a good first single.

I agree, I love Paris and glad it's going to be a single but SISMS would get more airplay

The more I actually think about it, the more Paris does make sense. Of all the songs we've heard from the album, Paris is least cluttered musicly and lyricly, has a catchy six word chorus that is easy to remember and has a simpler melody.

It's actually a very good choice as a single. Skull and Mama would get no airplay - Skull especially. As I said earlier, I think they're both better songs that Paris (Mama is f***ing brilliant) but this isn't about what song is the best, it's about which song gives Morrissey the best chance of getting on the radio and getting casual record buyers/downloaders interested in the album. And for me that has to be Paris.

Back
Top Bottom