Andy Rourke = WTF?!

He can't afford them.
:lbf: Not even at Wal-Mart prices. Shame, shame, shame.

Andy is a great guy. And he loves the Smiths.
He's just having fun.

Stop being such fussy biatches.
Um, I was just kidding. He can do whatever he wants.

Poor dear hasn't aged well. Is he borrowing hairpieces from Phil Spector?
LOL That's what I was thinking.
You`d think all that money he has he could afford a decent haircut.
He wants to look like a butch lesbian. That's his thing, I can't hate.

fxuech.jpg

:lbf::lbf::lbf: Yes!

Looks like Andy's back went out. Or he's gonna take a dump.

Y'all are being assholes. I was hanging out over one drink with andy at the bar and asked if I could take a pic with him... my friend had flowers and Andy was joking and said it would be an "ironic" pose. I don't think he was making fun of Moz at all... I actually found myself arranging the flowers for the shot and we were all laughing and joking and talking about Derick Jarman, Meat is Murder, and some of the music Andy was spinning that night... and he was very cool answering some questions about rough trade Smiths songs, video questions I had and etc etc.

The nightlife photographer who was there (we were shooting with our phones when this dude came up to take a shot) just caught him in this moment...

Me, my friends and Andy were drinking and laughing and Andy was actually super cool... don't be such a bunch of ungrateful brats... I have met some of you and you are not all lookers yourselves - who are you to judge? And the photos that we took with him look fine... dude was joking around latenight...

If the guy was not such a sweet and friendly man ready to talk and have a drink and just be sweet... I prolly wouldn't even bother writing anything, but he really gave a lot to so many of us. The bassline to that joke isn't funny anymore did not write itself...

I see. So Andy Rourke is a clown who allows himself to be used as a prop in 'ironic' photos. I'm glad that was cleared up.

I dunno, that's not the impression I got being there... and how you know better based on a few sentences that I wrote is really beyond me.

I dunno, that's not the impression I got being there... and how you know better based on a few sentences that I wrote is really beyond me.

We get that you were there. I get it. You were there. That is acknowledged. But you oughta know that a picture's worth a thousand words. And what we have here is exactly what everyone said above and the fact that you took a picture of it on your cellphone makes you extra awesome but it does not change the fact that he looks like a drunken clown.

29wk6kl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people can draw their own conclusions but the fact is that everyone was relaxing very latenight at the bar before going home to bed and nobody was on the defensive anticipating being cut down on the internet just for hangin out - it was all in good humor and IMO Andy was super nice and spoke (seemed to me) lovingly about the Smiths.

I know some people don't agree with lawsuits or whatever but I really don't know and I really don't care about lawsuits... I found him to be a nice guy who does not seem malicious or spiteful in the least. He was also pretty cordial... we were talking about filmmakers and artists two minutes before the pic was taken - not drunken fool conversation...

Every time I met him (and one of those times I was near drunken fool status) he was welcoming and friendly to me and my friends and he held himself together in a respectful and caring manner. That's been my experience... I trust my own experience more than what you draw from this picture that is taken out of context.

We should all know by now that many photographers purposely catch controversial moments... if you go to that photographers blog you will see that he is one of them because he was very selective about what he photographed at that particular bar - I saw the shots and I thought "geez, were we at the same place even?" - and its a small place.

So Dave - think what you will - but I think my sharing the context of the picture really does show that Andy was not at all a drunken fool or making fun of Moz but rather just a hanging out and having fun... plain and simple.

Even if Rourke is being a clown... so what? It's better than being a pretentious jerk... and its better than being judgmental and ungrateful like many of the people here. At least he is a sweet guy and likes to have a good laugh.

Last edited:
how is a picture taken out of context? Were there other pictures that would have shown him not looking like a fool?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I dunno. I just wouldn't want anyone thinking that Andy was being nasty toward Moz or the Smiths or anything cause I know he wasn't... For some reason thinking that he was being nasty might make me feel bad if I had not been there... so I figured to shed some light on the situation.

I asked to take a photo because as you can see from my signature - Moz with flowers in his back pocket is my fav smiths photo. Photos mean a lot to me... I am a pro photographer, partially because of music photography influences... to me they do mean a lot.

For some reason I never like to hear about people I like or admire... bands... taking digs at each other or fighting... esp the Smiths, so I thought I would explain the photo to whoever is interested since I was the one setting up the flowers when that guy shot the pic. I think that my experience sheds some light on that night and I really don't want to get in a fight about it... I just wanted people to know that Rourke was not being a jerk - just out having fun.

I am so done fighting over it... why don't you get up from the computer and go out dancing or to a show or something and write about things that you actually experience - what's with your investment in this? You hear that Rourke was just out having a good time and you are determined to cut him down - I don't really get it. Don't you like his music and wouldn't you want to hear that he is a nice guy? It's actually strange dealing with you - to the point where I am outta here... cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom