Come Back To Camden - Live?!

D

dandysweets

I was just wondering, has Morrissey played this song at any of the concerts yet? It seems to me he hasn't and as far as I can figure it's the ONLY song from YATQ he's yet to play live.

Does anyone know why?

Doesn't he like the song very much?
Does he find the high vocal-parts too difficult to sing live?
Is it too personal for him to sing?

Whatever it is, I think it's a shame, it's my favourite song on the album and if anyone could ever request a song at a Morrissey-show I would definitely request Come Back To Camden (I AM going to Earl's Court, Wink Wink).

Also, saw I Have Forgiven Jesus on T4 this morning and I think it's his weakest single yet It's not that it's bad, it's just that it's not that great either. No wonder they didn't seem to like it so much.

But what was that about Johnny Borrell from Razorlight mouthing off about Morrissey and the NME cover of him and Carl Libertine? Of course I wasn't there and didn't see what happened that day but it seems to me that Borrell is a little jealous perhaps!? Mind you, saw Razolight earlier this week at their Virgin In-store show (Oxford Street) and they were really really good. That boy certainly has a brilliant voice for rock 'n' roll.

One of the American concert bootlegs he says he "can't" sing it.

> One of the American concert bootlegs he says he "can't" sing it.

alright, i didn't hear that. which bootleg is that?
i wonder why he 'can't'. he certainly should...if he could

I would love to hear this song live. I think it is one of The Great Man's finest achievements. The much-maligned David Brett describes it in "Scandal and Passion" as being possibly Morrssey's best song ever.

I imagine, as you say, that the personal aspects, and possibly the high tessitura of some of the vocal melody, counts against live performance.

I seem to recall seeing it as an "either or" number on one of the set-lists from America, but it wasn't performed to my knowledge.

We can but hope for the future. Dublin on the 20th December would be nice

He said at,erm, Preston I think that he's "proffessional, but not *that* professional" when plenty of people were shouting for it.

> I was just wondering, has Morrissey played this song at any of the
> concerts yet? It seems to me he hasn't and as far as I can figure it's the
> ONLY song from YATQ he's yet to play live.

> Does anyone know why?

> Doesn't he like the song very much?
> Does he find the high vocal-parts too difficult to sing live?
> Is it too personal for him to sing?

> Whatever it is, I think it's a shame, it's my favourite song on the album
> and if anyone could ever request a song at a Morrissey-show I would
> definitely request Come Back To Camden (I AM going to Earl's Court, Wink
> Wink).

Yep have to agree.It's time a little quality control was exercised over the YATQ songs.

Three singles is more than enough from one album and whilst "Jesus" is a reasonable album track it's plodding tempo makes it an unwise release and unappealing in single format.

Other than "Lazy Dykes" I can't think of a worse choice he could have made.

Also bored to death with the priest outfit already.Moz isn't the only one who struggled with the rigours of a Catholic Education but he could do worse than copy what the rest of us do now and use the episodes to brighten up an otherwise dull day in the office

> Also, saw I Have Forgiven Jesus on T4 this morning and I think it's his
> weakest single yet It's not that it's bad, it's just that it's not that
> great either. No wonder they didn't seem to like it so much.

> But what was that about Johnny Borrell from Razorlight mouthing off about
> Morrissey and the NME cover of him and Carl Libertine? Of course I wasn't
> there and didn't see what happened that day but it seems to me that
> Borrell is a little jealous perhaps!? Mind you, saw Razolight earlier this
> week at their Virgin In-store show (Oxford Street) and they were really
> really good. That boy certainly has a brilliant voice for rock 'n' roll.

thanks for the responses. i'm going to try and find this 'preston' gig if there are any bootlegs of it around.

fair enough, if he feel he 'can't' do it but i still hope that he will overcome whatever problem he has with the song and sing it anyway at some point. maybe (and this is just speculation) this is why he wouldn't release such a strong song as a single because he finds it so hard to sing it and of course, then he would have to sing it all the time when promoting it and maybe he can't bear to do that!?
so in that sense, i suppose i have forgiven jesus is a wise choice for a single, if for no other reason that he can feel more detached from the subject matter and therefore is capable of singing the song (even if it IS a boring song).

but i wonder what it can be that makes it SO personal and difficult so he can't be 'professional' enough to sing it!?

> but i wonder what it can be that makes it SO personal and difficult so he
> can't be 'professional' enough to sing it!?

Well Alain's from Camden... so *maybe*, *if* they have had a falling out, not that I'm saying I think they have, then it might have something to do with that. Or he's decided he just doesn't like the song, a la What Difference Does It Make

Well, there's also the rumour that it's about Jake, his friend circa 1994 Vauxhall era.
But it's probably a conflation of loads of things.
Anyway, it is the most extraordinary song. Cannot understand how some people don't get it. Definitely in top 3 Moz solo songs of all time, in my extremely 'umble, ever so 'umble, opinion.

Yes, methinks it's about Jake also.

But I think the reason he won't sing it live is probably because of all of the high notes. He has enough problems singing "jesus" on key, so imagine how hard it would be for him to sing "Camden"!!!

> Well, there's also the rumour that it's about Jake, his friend circa 1994
> Vauxhall era.
> But it's probably a conflation of loads of things.
> Anyway, it is the most extraordinary song. Cannot understand how some
> people don't get it. Definitely in top 3 Moz solo songs of all time, in my
> extremely 'umble, ever so 'umble, opinion.

I agree , definately one of Morrissey's best songs of the last decade and easily the strongest song on Y.A.T.Q . I wonder how high it would have charted if it was released as the first or second single of the album ?
Oh well another missed opportunity . me thinks

Cheers Peter

Back
Top Bottom