Dark Liquor Makes For Worse Hangovers

The Seeker of Good Songs

A new study may help drinkers pick their poison. In a head-to-head comparison, bourbon gave drinkers a more severe hangover than vodka, report Damaris Rohsenow of Brown University and colleagues in an upcoming issue of Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.

But vodka drinkers aren’t off the hook: Drinkers’ sleep suffered equally with both drinks, as did their performance on tasks requiring attention and quick responses. Understanding the lingering effects of alcohol after a night of heavy drinking is important for people who engage in safety-sensitive tasks, such as driving, while hung over Rohsenow says.

The researchers recruited 95 healthy young adults, ages 21 to 33, and gave them caffeine-free cola mixed with bourbon, vodka or tonic water. The drinking ended when participants’ breath-alcohol concentrations hit an average of 0.11, well over the legal intoxication limit. Participants were then hooked up to sleep monitors, which record brain activity, and allowed to sleep it off. At 7 a.m. the next day, the researchers roused the subjects from bed (a wake-up that did not include coffee or aspirin) and asked them to rate the severity of their hangovers.

Overall, bourbon drinkers reported feeling worse than vodka drinkers, rating higher on scales that measure the severity of hangover malaise, including headache, nausea, loss of appetite and thirst. It should come as no surprise that alcohol drinkers said they felt much worse than those who had drunk only tonic water.

One reason for the different effects of vodka and bourbon, Rohsenow says, could be that bourbon contains 37 times more toxic compounds than vodka does, including nasty organic molecules such as acetone, acetaldehyde, tannins and furfural. A good rule of thumb for liquors, she says, is that the clearer they are, the less of these substances they contain.

Both the bourbon drinkers and vodka drinkers slept poorly compared to the nondrinkers, the team found. The next morning, when the participants performed cognitive tests that required attention and quick reaction times, the drinkers performed worse than the nondrinkers, but the type of alcohol had no effect on performance. Both groups of drinkers were impaired equally.

from: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/12/dark-liquor-makes-for-worse-hangovers/

Answers one question...bored might be a grump the morning after...:p

Every drink is a depressive in some way, hence why you see teenagers hugging lamposts 'cause they can't cope with a bottle of Vodka.

I know we're not discussing whether or not drink is a depressive but the only drink that makes you really quite jolly is Guinness.*

*Hence why I have a love of it.

Is it the same for Gin drinkers??
:confused:

(I usually wake up like a ray of sunshine after a night of T&T...:squiffy:)

I got told a while back ( in a Drinking clinic.....) that the darker the colour of a "Spirit", generally the more artificial, and Un-treated (???) chemicals it contained.....VERY CHEAP Dark Rum is best avoided at all costs.....
Don't know too much about Vodka, but again, the Price is a factor.....the cheap stuff is mixed with all sorts of Shite, to give it a "Flavour"....
And "Stella Artois" has a Terrible reputation for causing Violent outbursts around my locality....maybe its the High Alcohol content itself what causes the Drinkers brain to get all "Stroppy", and generally turn into a spouse -beating ,House -wrecking CNUT.....
And "White ligtning" "Dog brawler" and all those Cheap Strong ciders should be Banned outright......and I like a Cider...They are just like pouring Petrol onto a smouldering fire....Ka-boom!! see ya in hospital!!! ( if ya haven't killed ME first!!!)
drink responsibly, is my "Take" on all Alco-matters......( hic!!)

I've heard this before as well.....red wines contain "tannins" that gunk you see at the bottom of the glass sometimes.....drinking those wines supposedly gives you more of a headache/hangover than whites.

How about that rumour of "beer before liquor, never sicker".....or is it "liquor before beer, never fear"......I's get so confused :squiffy:

i drink Jameson almost exclusively and never have any severe problems the next morning.

well if you are always saturated in booze, there is no "morning after"

:)

The problem being that Vodka and Gin are mostly crap, so I'd rather have a slightly worse hangover and drink what I want.

Wild-Turkey-101-lg.jpg

FTW.

I just have a couple of glasses of water through the evening. That way I can do two bottles of red wine and only have a bit of a fuzzy head the next day.

I've conducted my own experiments, spanning many years on this very topic. I have found that gin gives the worst hangover, but this is largely due to drinking it by the pint (the only way to take your gin), and dark rum the second worst hangover, but you really must try and finish the bottle to feel the full effects. I hope this helps.

...Ahh feckitt....come ere....Yishh I've been on the Chseap shite cider......whats yer names again?...ahh fuggitt.....I Feckhin loves ya all any waysh....Merry Freckking Chrishtmas....Yer one of the Besht, you are....
feck....I forgottsh.....Whose round ish ithh ????

Back
Top Bottom