Eventbrite/Vimeo: "An evening with Johnny Marr: Live in London and online" (on October 17, 2023)

Eventbrite/Vimeo: "An evening with Johnny Marr: Live in London and online" (on October 17, 2023)
Posted by Famous when dead
Islington Assembly Hall
Tuesday, October 17, 2023 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 - 08:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
Johnny Marr joins us to celebrate the publication of his book, Marr's Guitars, live in London with a selection of his personal guitars.

Marr's Guitars offers a unique history of modern music told through the guitars that have shaped Johnny Marr’s instantly recognisable sound. Tracing his career from a teenager with The Smiths to four acclaimed solo albums across the last decade, his recent work on the James Bond No Time To Die soundtrack and many ongoing collaborations, each guitar tells a story of a moment in time and, collectively, the evolution of Johnny Marr’s musical style.

First launching his career as the guitarist and founding member of The Smiths, Johnny Marr redefined music for a generation with his distinctive songwriting. His innovations elevated The Smiths to be one of the most influential British bands of all time, and he has since worked with an impressive roster of groups including the Pretenders, Pet Shop Boys, Blondie and the Cribs, amongst many others, released four solo albums, and contributed to film soundtracks with Hans Zimmer.

Johnny Marr will be joined by Guardian writer John Harris to reflect on a remarkable career and the guitars that have inspired him.

Join Johnny Marr at Islington Assembly Hall, London or via the livestream, where you will also have the opportunity to put forward your own questions. Tickets are £25 to attend the event, or £10 to watch it online. You can also pre-order an exclusive signed copy of Marr's Guitars at a discounted price with your ticket. See ticket options for further details.

Regards,
FWD.

Poor Moz, reduced to being an unnamed extra in Johnny Marr’s TV interviews.
Lol you serious? He is by demand unnamed. Johnny can in fact not win with a lot of Moz fans. Does he mention him: "How dare he!", "he's not giving him enough credit" blaa blaaa. Does he not mention him: "How dare he!, "He's not giving him enough credit!". 🤷‍♀️

Lol you serious? He is by demand unnamed. Johnny can in fact not win with a lot of Moz fans. Does he mention him: "How dare he!", "he's not giving him enough credit" blaa blaaa. Does he not mention him: "How dare he!, "He's not giving him enough credit!". 🤷‍♀️

Yes, that’s what I mean. It’s Morrissey’s own fault. Moz could not have made a worse self-inflicted wound than putting Johnny on his enemy list.

I agree with your view, that news show gets 2 million viewers and it would be great to see Johnny mention Morrissey but he does talk about Smiths stuff and there's a bit of footage,

Last edited:

billyduffyofficial-23092023-0001.jpg

I agree with your view, that news show gets 2 million viewers and it would be great to see Johnny mention Morrissey but he does talk about Smiths stuff and there's a bit of footage,
But why should he? Morrissey theatrically demanded not to be mentioned out of Johnny's mouth ever again. It's telling that the potential of Johnny mentioning him is now seen as much needed publicity for Moz. Can Moz not talk about his own unstoppable solo achievements and his own music? Oh wait, he can't because then he actually has to talk to someone and get his albums out.

But why should he? Morrissey theatrically demanded not to be mentioned out of Johnny's mouth ever again. It's telling that the potential of Johnny mentioning him is now seen as much needed publicity for Moz. Can Moz not talk about his own unstoppable solo achievements and his own music? Oh wait, he can't because then he actually has to talk to someone and get his albums out.

This is a rather delicious development. Moz being seen in Smiths videos as Johnny’s sideman, while Johnny gets all the glory.

This is a rather delicious development. Moz being seen in Smiths videos as Johnny’s sideman, while Johnny gets all the glory.
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean...? Anyway, I just don't think after all that happened Johnny is obliged to mention Morrissey (not that he ever was anyway). It's sad that it has come to them ignoring each others existence but Morrissey wanted it that way so it's his own fault. Johnny does his thing and Morrissey could do his own if he didn't sabotage himself all the time.

Yes, that’s what I mean. It’s Morrissey’s own fault. Moz could not have made a worse self-inflicted wound than putting Johnny on his enemy list.
I agree but I think they both learned something from the letter. Johnny's 'telling off' stung and he learned how to promote his own projects / talk about his work without letting himself be baited by the press or feeling the need to put little digs in for cheap laughs, which is a good development.
Moz, well... he learned very painfully that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. I do believe he had every right to say what he said but his 'method' was sharp, nasty and public and in alienating Johnny, he effectively erased himself from The Smiths story. An own goal of epic proportions.

Life is too short to hold on to this silliness, especially after Andy's passing. I wish mightily that Johnny could be the bigger person and offer a pleasant mention or two - Moz only 'banned' the snarking, after all.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean...? Anyway, I just don't think after all that happened Johnny is obliged to mention Morrissey (not that he ever was anyway). It's sad that it has come to them ignoring each others existence but Morrissey wanted it that way so it's his own fault. Johnny does his thing and Morrissey could do his own if he didn't sabotage himself all the time.
Moz is like a stubborn child who has thrown a tantrum, stormed off to his bedroom and refused to eat his tea. Very quickly he realises that he's hungry and isolated and has made a mistake... but is too stubborn to go apologise so he's sitting there starving instead.
Johnny has all the power and he knows this scenario has backfired horribly. Eventually he is going to take a plate upstairs and knock on the door.

Moz is like a stubborn child who has thrown a tantrum, stormed off to his bedroom and refused to eat his tea. Very quickly he realises that he's hungry and isolated and has made a mistake... but is too stubborn to go apologise so he's sitting there starving instead.
Johnny has all the power and he knows this scenario has backfired horribly. Eventually he is going to take a plate upstairs and knock on the door.

We’ll see. I agree that Johnny has used Moz’ open letter to his own advantage very well. He’s completely outplayed Moz, he will be the Smiths’ standard bearer, not Morrissey. Since it was Johnny’s publicity blitz for his last album that set Moz off, I wouldn’t be surprised if he writes another letter complaining about being erased from the Smiths in the public eye. Maybe he’ll get Fiona D to write it this time.

Poor Moz, reduced to being an unnamed extra in Johnny Marr’s TV interviews.

No. That’s the way you choose to see it.

The video is about Marr and his guitars, not about Morrissey, Mike, or Andy.

Back
Top Bottom