Morrissey Central "FRIDAY 26 JULY" (April 13, 2024)

full

On Friday 26 July, Warner Records will re-issue Morrissey's 1993 live in Paris album, Beethoven Was Deaf. The release is global, and the album will be available on CD, black vinyl, and orange vinyl.
The album originally reached #13 in England, but was not released in the U.S. The venue is the Zenith in Paris.

Two special event concerts are planned to launch the July release. Please watch this site for details. New sleeve above.

Beethoven Was Deaf to be reissued: https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/friday-26-july

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beethoven may have been deaf but whoever came up that dreadful cover must be blind. The original cover art, font and photography was classic. I'll treasure the cd I bought over three decades ago. No way I'm buying this abomination

Oh god, they cannot release this record with that cover! He is going to get absolutely roasted for it. He's got so many gorgeous pictures of him, did they not want to pay for one? It will make a difference in sales too.

Warners could have re-issued this without the man’s blessing. Clearly, the new sleeve art means they do have his blessing. This leads me to believe more info incoming re: the two albums

I just saw that the original vinyl of Beethoven Was Deaf is being hawked on eBay for up to £500. WTF? I’ve got one of those. Could sell it to fund the next few big shops at Tescos.
with ebay you will always get one seller whose price is so over the top that it will never sell,these seller have the mentality that if someone clicks a buttom by mistake then they have their big pile of cash.

Warners could have re-issued this without the man’s blessing. Clearly, the new sleeve art means they do have his blessing. This leads me to believe more info incoming re: the two albums
could be,at least he hasnt issued a statement saying do not buy this as it has nothing to do with me.

on another note,notre dame burned down 5 years ago yesterday,should have released the song as a single to commemorate the half decade.

Just because it's announced it doesn't mean it will happen. See World Peace reissue. See Quarry and Ringleaders reissue, all of which had artwork revealed for the releases.

On the other hand, of the label is willing to do the reissue why wouldn't they do Bonfire? Which surely would sell a lot more, regardless of his current standing it's an easy top ten.

Oh god, they cannot release this record with that cover! He is going to get absolutely roasted for it. He's got so many gorgeous pictures of him, did they not want to pay for one? It will make a difference in sales too.
Is he though, is anyone even going to notice anymore.

It looks like the outline of a flaccid member. :unsure:

It all started with the clone stamp on WPINOYB. It’s all been downhill since then. Although, the “deluxe” version of the record featured the correct artwork without the clone stamp (and perhaps the wide physical release? - can’t remember). All digital versions suffered from it, though.

Do Warner records own the Smiths catalogue? Strange that they want to release a live album 31 years later. According to wikipedia, EMI deleted the album in 2010.

Maybe if there is a positive response to this, they could be open to releasing "Without Music".
My guess is this is a sign that Pete Galli of Red Light Management is achieving something quietly in the background. The original live album was released by HMV and has since been deleted. It is still available for download, though, so I would imagine this new licence with Warner is for a 'physical' release only? The intricacies of music licencing are complex, which is exactly what the likes of Pete Galli are for.
Labels love an anniversary and I'm sure they will make a profit from the vinyl sales of this, which are pretty much the only music sales these days that do make a profit, unless you're Taylor Swift. But if it does sell well, I would imagine this gives Pete kudos to 'persuade' a label to release some 'new' Moz material. It looks like Moz remains committed to the idea of only releasing material via a major label. Watch this space...

Why this album?
Why now, 31 years later?
Why change the album cover?
Why choose a picture from a completely different tour, decade, era?
What’s with the black line?
Why promote it as Live in Paris?

I had hope, that under the new management, there might be some progress in the publishing policy. No strange reissues with historically inappropriate cover motifs, changes + exclusions in the track list and hardly any bonus material. No settlements with the various record companies he's burnt and a label-spanning boxset with rarities, demos and live tracks. No, it's just as strange and low profile as before. Announcing 2 special live events for this is almost a running gag for 2024, and he certainly doesn't want to be.

Parlophone (AKA Warners) have been used to release bits prior.
I saw a comment elsewhere regarding mending any relationship with Warners - not convinced myself. They've had the ability to release things (and have), plus sometimes these messages look like Central getting in first. They'll be happy if it 'charts', but as per previous times, won't give clear information and may not even be involved at all (just not going as far as to say 'don't buy' as with other releases).
Just a hunch.
FWD.
Yes, you could well be right. Warner purchased Parlophone in 2013, so it is also very possible that no one in Camp Moz has even been involved in this, it's just Warner going through the anniversary list. But who knows? It is tempting to hope that it is maybe a sign of something else going on in the background. We can but hope.

It looks like the outline of a flaccid member. :unsure:
😆 It does! I definitely was thinking that but didn't want to say it,

I think it's a signature most likely. Which means he didn't want to pay for a photo to use. That said, Sam will have lots of great pictures of him that wouldn't cost him a penny! So why he chose this one is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:
What the f***, BoT is already 3 years old and we are more than hungry to finally listen to it. He must know this, his Management knows it. Instead we get a bullshit rerelease of an Live Album from 1993.
And you can only pray for the live shows.
Sad 2024 so far!

COME ON MOZ!

I am lucky enough to own both, the CD and the LP from BWD. A wonderful cover motif, a fantastic colour combination and all the accompanying pictures perfectly express the turbulent Zeitgeist of 92. Morrissey half falling off the stage is magnificent. Top of his game. 31 years later, I stare at this cheap artwork (clearly from team Moz) on the back (!) of the CD reissue and have to read Morrissey's thin words. Why?

I had hope, that under the new management, there might be some progress in the publishing policy. No strange reissues with historically inappropriate cover motifs, changes + exclusions in the track list and hardly any bonus material. No settlements with the various record companies he's burnt and a label-spanning boxset with rarities, demos and live tracks. No, it's just as strange and low profile as before. Announcing 2 special live events for this is almost a running gag for 2024, and he certainly doesn't want to be.
Yes, hard to argue with that. It's a very poor cover for an anniversary release. And unfortunately any live events are going to be dominated by the 'will he / won't he appear' question.

Back
Top Bottom