Morrissey Central "FRIDAY 26 JULY" (April 13, 2024)

full

On Friday 26 July, Warner Records will re-issue Morrissey's 1993 live in Paris album, Beethoven Was Deaf. The release is global, and the album will be available on CD, black vinyl, and orange vinyl.
The album originally reached #13 in England, but was not released in the U.S. The venue is the Zenith in Paris.

Two special event concerts are planned to launch the July release. Please watch this site for details. New sleeve above.

Beethoven Was Deaf to be reissued: https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/friday-26-july

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
And @Famous when dead. So he’s not on the label, and yet he may have a say in the art work, and seems to be doing two special events in promotion of its rerelease. Do you think he’s now on Warners, or maybe trying
to get himself on Warners? I know it’s speculation, but it’s interesting that he would bother to advertise and even promote it with ‘special events’ for a label he’s no longer on.

Or am I missing something?

No different than planning Quarry anniversary concerts for an album reissue in limbo supposedly released by BMG, then moving on to Capitol Records... (with similar terrible art mockup).
The 'who owns what' - be it licences or outright etc will probably never be known. That said, Warners and HMV have released products with seemingly little Morrissey involvement and can do so. That does not appear to require a working relationship nor 'permission'. So he isn't really 'with them'. Warners appear to be handling historic releases which they've done repeatedly. That has little bearing on future releases and will still require him to have a deal elsewhere (there's probably a reason BWD escaped the BMG & Capitol list of stalled/cancelled reissues - i.e. it was a Warners item from the outset).
Regards,
FWD.

(re: levels of involvement see: Post in thread '"DARLING, IT’S ALL FOR YOU" (March 25, 2024)' https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/darling-it’s-all-for-you-march-25-2024.152145/post-1987584322)

YATQ_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg

No different than planning Quarry anniversary concerts for an album reissue in limbo supposedly released by BMG, then moving on to Capitol Records... (with similar terrible art mockup).
The 'who owns what' - be it licences or outright etc will probably never be known. That said, Warners and HMV have released products with seemingly little Morrissey involvement and can do so. That does not appear to require a working relationship nor 'permission'. So he isn't really 'with them'. Warners appear to be handling historic releases which they've done repeatedly. That has little bearing on future releases and will still require him to have a deal elsewhere (there's probably a reason BWD escaped the BMG & Capitol list of stalled/cancelled reissues - i.e. it was a Warners item from the outset).
Regards,
FWD.

(re: levels of involvement see: Post in thread '"DARLING, IT’S ALL FOR YOU" (March 25, 2024)' https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/darling-it’s-all-for-you-march-25-2024.152145/post-1987584322)

View attachment 103352

Thanks, that clears things up quite a bit.

I wonder if he’ll have the nerve to set up these BWD shows in LA, after the two Quarry anniversary cancellations. That would be folly.

Paris and London are the most likely candidates for these special events, but who knows.

Yes, that'd make sense, but the working mens' club down the road are keeping a few nights open at the end of July so it may be there. If I hear owt, I'll let you know.

Marking the anniversary of a release of a live album is just bonkers. But if it's the catalyst that gets some new 2024 touring (and other) activity off the ground, fair enough.

This looks, yet again, like an own goal for team Morrissey. Beethoven Was Deaf is a great live album with artwork that really does not need to be tampered with. (Much like Bona Drag, Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted…) While I welcome a reissue, it could have been done so, so much better! Just imagine the possibilities...
  • Disc 1: The complete Astoria performance from 20 Dec 1992 (half of which is already on the album, and a good soundboard recording exists).
  • Disc 2: The complete soundboard recording from La Zenith, 22 Dec 1992.
  • Release these as a Beethoven Was Deaf: Deluxe Edition or such; surely this would pique interest?
  • And then… just imagine! Advance orders receive a live, limited release EP of 3 or 4 live “new” songs, from his "forthcoming" albums. (Which have already been heavily bootlegged anyway).
Surely this would secure promising sales and near guarantee a brief top spot in the Live Vinyl Album Chart. (If such a thing exists)? Oh well, he’ll never learn…
All of the above would've been fantastic but something tells me that not much time and effort is going into these reissues. I'd say they're just trying to get done what they can with the time and limited budget they're allowing. I would also suggest that Morrissey has very little to do with it.

Last edited:
The image appears to be The Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, Netherlands - December 20, 2006.
Odd choice.
FWD.
In this video he takes off his tie after the first song and it's seen hanging out of his pocket in the second song, which I think can be seen in the new beethoven image.

Yeah, there's a no-brainer Special Edition of 'Rank' that could easily be pulled off. As well as the previously edited tracks, they could even marry the audio to the bootleg video footage for a bonus DVD.
This has already been done. It's on Youtube.

Well, this is disappointing. Not necessarily the reissue, but the artwork. In fact the artwork itself isn’t too bad; if that was used for a new live album from a show in the past ten years, I’d be happy. However, this being a live album from shows 30+ years ago is just… well, it’s just odd.

Morrissey’s facial expression looks one associated with being fed up, which is something I’m sure we all can relate to.

I don't know, this seems very odd. What the heck is this sleeve design? This picture is not flattering whatsoever, but strangely comical, he looks like he has a bad moment on stage.

This confirms to me, that whoever posts on Central has absolutely no digital skills at all, for the odd black line is clearly a mistake that occurs, like someone else already said, when the marker function is accidently turned on and the person had no clue how to delete it again (gives me massive Boomer-vibes). How could something bad as this be uploaded on Central (I know, this is not the first time, but it baffles me time and time again)? And if the shows are already in July, it sounds rushed as with the Quarry-shows, but maybe they have been practicing all along, who knows. I don't see a development in professionality at all but would be more than happy to be proved wrong by things actually happening.

With this, M didn't claim the sleeve art so maybe it was someone else?

Parlophone (AKA Warners) have been used to release bits prior.
I saw a comment elsewhere regarding mending any relationship with Warners - not convinced myself. They've had the ability to release things (and have), plus sometimes these messages look like Central getting in first. They'll be happy if it 'charts', but as per previous times, won't give clear information and may not even be involved at all (just not going as far as to say 'don't buy' as with other releases).
Just a hunch.
FWD.
Lets hope this is a tie in and part of a new record deal with Parlophone/Warner
His new management could have got this sorted .

yes that would make sense, but this is Morrissey we’re talking about here! 🙃
Yes, it does make sense. But the message also mentioned that it would be the occasion to release BWD for the first time in the US (with reissue elsewhere), does that suggest they are targeting US audiences?
As noted, Paris will be more than busy with hosting the Olympics this summer, hotels are extremely expensive around that time, so not a good time for a concert. Unless Morrissey is asked to perform during the opening ceremonies :ROFLMAO:

Regards,
FWD.

View attachment 103352
First time I’ve seen this shot of the Quarry photoshoot. Gorgeous

Yes, it does make sense. But the message also mentioned that it would be the occasion to release BWD for the first time in the US (with reissue elsewhere), does that suggest they are targeting US audiences?
As noted, Paris will be more than busy with hosting the Olympics this summer, hotels are extremely expensive around that time, so not a good time for a concert. Unless Morrissey is asked to perform during the opening ceremonies :ROFLMAO:
they already have,hes singing notre dame.

they already have,hes singing notre dame.

That's funny, gordyboy9. But France already has enough controversy over Aya Nakamura performing. It's getting ugly. Marion Maréchal-Le Pen has said, "the French don't want to be represented in the eyes of the world by a singer whose style is influenced by the hood and Africa." Something tells me Le Pen's granddaughter doesn't follow the pop charts. I wonder what Bardot thinks.

Or, maybe your suggestion could work, in terms of equal time for the French right: Morrissey singing Notre-Dame could be the counter-point.

It’s almost as if Team Morrissey can’t do anything right. It’s bizarre.

Back
Top Bottom