Happy St Patrick's Day ... just out of interest ...

T

Trouble loves me

how many people have an Irish connection somewhere in the family?
My friend in Belfast maintains that there are more Irish people in the rest of the world than there are in Ireland, because, and I quote, 'You English bastards tried to colonise us and when that didn't work, you starved us' ... I still love her like, she's my best friend.

> how many people have an Irish connection somewhere in the family?
> My friend in Belfast maintains that there are more Irish people in the
> rest of the world than there are in Ireland, because, and I quote, 'You
> English bastards tried to colonise us and when that didn't work, you
> starved us' ... I still love her like, she's my best friend.

I'm irish (from belfast) living in manchester. People were always irelands biggest export, however than seems to be on the wain now ireland is quite prosperous.

My great great grandmother (on my mother's side) was Irish. Don't know about my father's side.
I went to the parade here last week and it was lovely.
Happy St Patrick's Day

both sets of grandparents were straight off da boat

> I'm irish (from belfast) living in manchester. People were always irelands
> biggest export, however than seems to be on the wain now ireland is quite
> prosperous.
fermanagh and cork

1/2 irish

I'm half Irish and half Italian.
A long time ago that meant something in the US because the two hated each other and if you came home with a boyfriend/girlfriend from the other side you could be disowned by your parents, (at least in the northeast, I don't know how the rest of the country was on this matter).

The US gets more muttly as the years pass and I think few people remember the Irish/Italian gang wars and all that nonsense.

I'm sure Moz is having a blast today... Green beer, anyone?

Boston, Irish Democratic Republic of Massachusetts!

Now, we are at boston going to have one big St. Patrick Day... Think about college bars, authentic Irish bars, touristy faux-irish bars, just plain old bars, some dive bars, old goode south boston watering holes... good day for Sam Adams drinkers, for sure... not to mention my goodness... my Guiness!

Bottoms up!

Cheers!

P.S. Plan for today: get pissed. (intoxicated, inebriated, sloshed, loaded,...) No, I am not driving, we have a decent PTS in Boston.

Re: Boston, Irish Democratic Republic of Massachusetts!

How authentic is an Irish bar if it's not in Ireland? Have a beer for me!

Re: 1/2 irish

i'm half irish half english...no interesting story to go along with it.

Irish dissent

I'm 3rd generation (but my roots don't show) but not a lover of any religion or saint, I still love the pint & don't need any justification to have one, so as long as no one mithers me about religion I'll drink to anyone! I have often found these 'big' St Paddys day parades a tad fake & plastic tbh, but if it keeps drunkards off the streets I'm all for 'em! ;o)

love

Grim

Re: Irish dissent

My Irish forefathers came from Buttevant, County Cork, to Wales in about 1820 (Hey! Before the great famine!) I always see myself as Irish, even after nearly two hundred years away from the old country.

It never fails to amaze me that people in the south of Wales see themselves as Welsh when 90% of them have far more Irish or English background.

> how many people have an Irish connection somewhere in the family?
> My friend in Belfast maintains that there are more Irish people in the
> rest of the world than there are in Ireland, because, and I quote, 'You
> English bastards tried to colonise us and when that didn't work, you
> starved us' ... I still love her like, she's my best friend.
I think I'm about one tenth Irish, which isnt really that much.

Back
Top Bottom