His book - how sad

Fawdy

Having seen the Smiths in '84 and followed him ever since I was so looking forward to this book. Yes, I was tiring of his screaming, 'look at me' pronouncements about the Royal Family, the Olympics etc. However, I used to hang on his every word and thought I'd get an insight into his genius. Unfortunately we got a whining, delusional and paranoid mammy's boy. The section about the court case was tedious and gave me an insight as to why the Judge would view him as he did. Yes, he had a good case and yes Joyce should not have won. But 4 (lonely) High Court Judges found against him because they were out to get him. He blames his legal representation both times. Imagine if Joyce had got such inept representation? Morrissey, what a fool you are to go into a case twice with such ill prepared lawyers - it's your fault.

As I said I was hoping for insights into his genius but unfortunately got whining, paranoia and 400 pages of evidence to back up the haters. Having hung onto his every word for so long I ask myself 'how could I have got it so wrong'?

Having seen the Smiths in '84 and followed him ever since I was so looking forward to this book. Yes, I was tiring of his screaming, 'look at me' pronouncements about the Royal Family, the Olympics etc. However, I used to hang on his every word and thought I'd get an insight into his genius. Unfortunately we got a whining, delusional and paranoid mammy's boy. The section about the court case was tedious and gave me an insight as to why the Judge would view him as he did. Yes, he had a good case and yes Joyce should not have won. But 4 (lonely) High Court Judges found against him because they were out to get him. He blames his legal representation both times. Imagine if Joyce had got such inept representation? Morrissey, what a fool you are to go into a case twice with such ill prepared lawyers - it's your fault.

As I said I was hoping for insights into his genius but unfortunately got whining, paranoia and 400 pages of evidence to back up the haters. Having hung onto his every word for so long I ask myself 'how could I have got it so wrong'?

Hanging onto his every word past 2005? Oh dear.

lady-justice.gif

Justice is blind and doesn't always make the best decisions when she's fighting for her life. Morrissey got the shit end of the stick those years.

Hanging onto his every word past 2005? Oh dear.

No but you catch my drift? Morrissey has been one of those artists who has inspired some blind devotion and a tendency to ignore his obvious failing because of what he meant to you when you were growing up. It's sad when he exposes himself to be a rather shallow, self absorbed bore. Those who have hated him over the years will say 'why are you surprised'.

No but you catch my drift? Morrissey has been one of those artists who has inspired some blind devotion and a tendency to ignore his obvious failing because of what he meant to you when you were growing up. It's sad when he exposes himself to be a rather shallow, self absorbed bore. Those who have hated him over the years will say 'why are you surprised'.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I just was never blindly devoted. I went from becoming a fan to questioning his character in the span of less than a year. I'm still here though, after all these years. He's not perfect. Those hit the hardest are the ones who thought he was. He's a flawed man. Shame he isn't more godlike. People seem to need gods and heroes for some reason. Too bad they can't seem to find the hero within themselves. Sorry, I'm rambling here. Nothing unusual for me. :p

Last edited:

I am one of those “inspired” devotees and I can assure you that I was never “blind” as I was already “grown up” and his “obvious failings” or as I prefer to call it “part of his charm” never went unnoticed. As far as what the “haters” think of this? They can go f*** themselves with a drill. Catch my drift?

Morrissey, what a fool you are to go into a case twice with such ill prepared lawyers - it's your fault.

Well I havent read the entire book as yet, im awaiting the audio version which i will buy on the 5th december and listen 2 the lot then, so I cant really comment on the book YET!
But I feel pretty sure it will be absolutely wonderfull !

Of course moz is flawed and yes its part of his charm, no one is perfect!
But he speacks out agianist world wide coruption and is an incredible animal rights activist, in fact quite possibly the greastest ever!
The empathy 4 the suffering of other life forms is incredible!!!
And hes not bad live in concert either ! wonderfull !
Now in my book, that makes morrissey a wonderfull person! :)

I use 2 listen 2 morrissey EVERY SINGLE NITE 4 years and years whist doing my hobby, I was useless without his music 2 keep me company!
Couldnt "work" with out him !!!!!!!!!

These days of course, I also listen 2 miss KristeenYoung and patti smith 2!

I am one of those “inspired” devotees and I can assure you that I was never “blind” as I was already “grown up” and his “obvious failings” or as I prefer to call it “part of his charm” never went unnoticed. As far as what the “haters” think of this? They can go f*** themselves with a drill. Catch my drift?

Well said ! :)

Well anyways Dr karl has just started on radio 5 live, I allways listen 2 his phone in science radio show every wedensday at 3am ! I never ever miss this show!......
Hes wonderful ! :)

Have 2 go im missing Dr Karl!!! unthinkable! but still listening!

Last edited:

Well, why are you surprised? :) I'm not. There is nothing very new in what he says about the court case or other well-known hangups. Obvioulsy, these are not impressive personality traits that emerge. But let me note two things. Firstly he makes no claim to be an admirable person. On the contrary, he frequently notes his own inadequacies. Secondly, and more importantly, from where comes this strange notion that he needs to be an all-around admirable person in order to warrant devotion as an artist? The history of culture is replete with people who were unbalanced, damaged, unfriendly, ruthless, pahetic or grade A assholes. Rousseau put away all of his children at birth. Hölderlin was largely mad. Munch was unable to handle bank transactions. Mozart was an infantile fool in human relations.

Morrissey describes himself as a somewhat helpless and incomplete person, hard set-upon if good-intentioned and not at all easy to get along with. I'm quite sure he isn't. But I thought that was rather the point, and a central component in what make his perspective interesting as an artist?

Last edited:

Well I havent read the entire book as yet, im awaiting the audio version which i will buy on the 5th december and listen 2 the lot then, so I cant really comment on the book YET!
But I feel pretty sure it will be absolutely wonderfull !

Of course moz is flawed and yes its part of his charm, no one is perfect!
But he speacks out agianist world wide coruption and is an incredible animal rights activist, in fact quite possibly the greastest ever!
The empathy 4 the suffering of other life forms is incredible!!!
And hes not bad live in concert either ! wonderfull !
Now in my book, that makes morrissey a wonderfull person! :)

I use 2 listen 2 morrissey EVERY SINGLE NITE 4 years and years whist doing my hobby, I was useless without his music 2 keep me company!
Couldnt "work" with out him !
I just totally became at one with his music and words ect, they spoke 2 me and healed me and so witch in turn, led 2 the helping of the healing of the little ones 2 ! :)
These days of course, I also listen 2 miss KristeenYoung and patti smith 2!

To me it doesnt matter what morrissy was, is or has become............
So yep me 2 ! im one of morrisseys "devotees", 4 want of a better word, was in the begining, will be in the end!
Allways and forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Well anyways Dr karl has just started on radio 5 live, I allways listen 2 his phone in science radio show every wedensday at 3am ! I never ever miss this show!......
Hes wonderful ! :)

Have 2 go im missing Dr Karl!!! unthinkable! but still listening!

I hope you are aware that the use of multiple exclamation marks are widely (if, admittedly, jocularly) regarded as a sure sign of mental illness? And have you ever considered the advantages of syntax and punctuation in counterbalancing that impression?

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I just was never blindly devoted. I went from becoming a fan to questioning his character in the span of less than a year. I'm still here though, after all these years. He's not perfect. Those hit the hardest are the ones who thought he was. He's a flawed man. Shame he isn't more godlike. People seem to need gods and heroes for some reason. Too bad they can't seem to find the hero within themselves. Sorry, I'm rambling here. Nothing unusual for me. :p

What, do you need to approve wholeheartedly of someone's character in order to be a fan? That leaves you with not too much to choose from in the annals of rock. ;)

In what world does this exclamation idea exist Ovist ? Never heard of it till now . MIDNITE is just a happy person, she means no harm. Go listen to 'Meat Is Murder', track # 5 .

Last edited:
In Terry Pratchett's, to be quite precise. And he has a good point - madmen think in exclamation marks, and when you finish every single sentence with (at least) one, you give the impression of being one. It's the written equivalent of standing on top of a table and communicating entirely through shouting enthusiastically and monotonously, whilst grinning. And seriously, if you're going to write in the public domain, it doesn't hurt to make some rudimentary effort towards intelligibility. Otherwise you risk coming across as stupid, to put it bluntly.

Track 5? you mean she's too delicate to be ridiculed for writing in SMS-mode?

Last edited:
Well, why are you surprised? :) I'm not. There is nothing very new in what he says about the court case or other well-known hangups. Obvioulsy, these are not impressive personality traits that emerge. But let me note two things. Firstly he makes no claim to be an admirable person. On the contrary, he frequently notes his own inadequacies. Secondly, and more importantly, from where comes this strange notion that he needs to be an all-around admirable person in order to warrant devotion as an artist? The history of culture is replete with people who were unbalanced, damaged, unfriendly, ruthless, pahetic or grade A assholes. Rousseau put away all of his children at birth. Hölderlin was largely mad. Munch was unable to handle bank transactions. Mozart was an infantile fool in human relations.

Morrissey describes himself as a somewhat helpless and incomplete person, hard set-upon if good-intentioned and not at all easy to get along with. I'm quite sure he isn't. But I thought that was rather the point, and a central component in what make his perspective interesting as an artist?

I understand all that and agree. What I wasn't anticipating was that in addition to those flaws mentioned that he would also turn out to be an absolute dullard. This may actually not be true but that is the impression I got from the book.

What do you mean? How is Moz's offering any more different than other artists?

Vegetarianism, hatred against the monarchy, making charity shop clothes popular, using poetry as lyrics, distinctive voice and keeping flowers in the back pocket :D

Vegetarianism, hatred against the monarchy, making charity shop clothes popular, using poetry as lyrics, distinctive voice and keeping flowers in the back pocket :D
All artists have their politics and distinctive voice.

Indeed Qvist. A lot of people seem to have built him up as some kind of saint. He's always going to disappoint once you've done that.

Indeed Qvist. A lot of people seem to have built him up as some kind of saint. He's always going to disappoint once you've done that.

I think a lot of people projected their own selective/subjective idealised vision of who Morrissey was onto Morrissey the person. Then, when he turns out not to be what he never was in the first place, they become disaffected and oddly angry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom