"Istanbul" single (digital download) released (May 20, 2014)

Just downloaded from Amazon.
First listen - wow! Very Smiths-esque.

As noted by Ryan., the download is should also now be available to those who pre-ordered the album. CrystalGeezer notes the song is also now available on iTunes.

As mentioned by Uncleskinny, this release has not been publicized yet on Harvest Records' Twitter feed, TTY, or Morrissey's Official Facebook page.

Also now available on Spotify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cover version:

Live version:

God, he's a magnificent singer.

Live version:

God, he's a magnificent singer.

Agreed. The vocal is flawless but it's disappointing they didn't bring out the lap steel and cigar box guitars for this track live. These guitars are far less impressive than the studio version. I'm so glad I heard that before the live version.

For those who don't know what a "cigar box" guitar is, this is it. I hope there are more tracks on World Peace where they use it and the lap steel. The sound has some meat on it and works perfectly for Istanbul. I found this chick on a random search and just happened to remember what she played on after reading that short interview with Joe Chiccarelli.

A beautiful cover of Istanbul by Cosmic Boxer

I found this beautiful version whilst seeking Mozzer's spoken version. A heartbreaking vocal and creative arrangement which made me seek out other Cosmic Boxer songs. He/they are very good.

Cover version:

Oh my goodness! This is delightful. Evocative of Mazzy Star, Cowboy Junkies and a non-histrionic Beth Gibbons solo track, with hints of Fairport Convention and Nick Drake. Restrained and elegant. I will deffo be seeking out more from 'Cosmic Boxer". A stunning upcycling, re-imagining which shows that these new songs are genuinely inspirational. 10/10.

best wishes and every possible success to 'Cosmic Boxer' band!
BB

Oh my goodness! This is delightful. Evocative of Mazzy Star, Cowboy Junkies and a non-histrionic Beth Gibbons solo track, with hints of Fairport Convention and Nick Drake. Restrained and elegant. I will deffo be seeking out more from 'Cosmic Boxer". A stunning upcycling, re-imagining which shows that these new songs are genuinely inspirational. 10/10.

Sounds like the singer needs a good slap to me.

was "earth is the loneliest planet" released today? botched release or did the label give up?

was "earth is the loneliest planet" released today? botched release or did the label give up?

If only we could have one as good as istanbul every week...
'Earth' is due on 4th June, as per original post from leethommo.

Does anyone know what number 'Istanbul' got to in the UK singles chart? Did it beat the lowly #83 of 'World Peace'? Or was it Moz's first single not to chart at all?

Serves them right for not releasing proper singles. ie: Something I can buy with B sides and a sleeve.

Yeah, with the exact same art I wonder if some people didn't even know it was a different song.

I thought it was a much better song than WPINOYB. I was surprised to see it didn't chart at all.

WTF is going on?

It just seems like he's just going through the motions.

Yeah, with the exact same art I wonder if some people didn't even know it was a different song.

I thought it was a much better song than WPINOYB. I was surprised to see it didn't chart at all.

WTF is going on?

'wpinoyb' has universal message, 'istanbul' is wonderful song for true lovers/followers - it's oriented to less numerous audience

p.s. apologies

WTF is going on?

It must be because he's spent another 5 years without a recording contract and this download shamozzle of ...ahem, singles was a stipulation he had to swallow.

Back
Top Bottom