It's Not Your Birthday Anymore

B

Brescia

I've made a video for "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore", using footage from Marie Antoinette (starring Kirsten Dunst):

good effort,fits the song very well.kirsten dunst good actress.

great song and such a gorgeous film. i like this pairing!

Wonderful job. A story to remember, she is always in my thoughts and I don't know why.

Not sure what meaning you're trying to convey with this video, but the song to me is clearly about rape/an abusive relationship. The narrator taunts the birthday girl (or guy I suppose), mocking them for feeling loved/and or happy on their birthday, when they'll just go right back to being abused the next day. He treats her nicely for a day, because it's her birthday, but this doesn't change the way he'll treat her.

The lines "Your voice it might say 'no', but the heart has a will of its own" and "All the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way to the love I am now giving to you right here right now on the floor" to me strongly imply that the narrator is raping the birthday girl, but excusing his actions as gestures of "love".

It took me a while to realize the meaning of this song, and now I find it very uncomfortable to listen to...

maybe I'm thick but I don't get that at all.who knows what mozz is portraying,i would love a book where Morrissey takes every song and reveals his reasoning behind it.

Not sure what meaning you're trying to convey with this video, but the song to me is clearly about rape/an abusive relationship. The narrator taunts the birthday girl (or guy I suppose), mocking them for feeling loved/and or happy on their birthday, when they'll just go right back to being abused the next day. He treats her nicely for a day, because it's her birthday, but this doesn't change the way he'll treat her.

The lines "Your voice it might say 'no', but the heart has a will of its own" and "All the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way to the love I am now giving to you right here right now on the floor" to me strongly imply that the narrator is raping the birthday girl, but excusing his actions as gestures of "love".

It took me a while to realize the meaning of this song, and now I find it very uncomfortable to listen to...
thanks, i honestly didnt know that's what it was about. now i like it, like, 1oo times more. i mean, not that i like abuse and rape, lol, just the psychological aspect of it.

As with many Moz songs there are undoubtedly more meanings or interpretations than one. Double entendre is always included.
I take it differently but mind you, I might be wrong. So please don't hate me if anyone feels mistreated in any way.

This song is a love song. Only until than I was not used to the change in tone of his lyrics.
He became much more direct and blunt as opposed to his more poetic ballads earlier when describing physical love. Erotic love meant now so much more to him and I see this song as liberating. He explores the enjoyment of erotic love. It is just a very honest and a bit more explicit way of expressing his feelings.

There is an English poet who said: Love is tender, love is dust, but the finest purest form of love is lust.
I believe he is trying to express that feeling. Don't know the name. Was it Tennyson?

The line: if it cannot be given, so it must be taken does not mean that the partner does not want to give.
Maybe he or she (I guess it's a he but hey it makes no difference) wants to be taken.
It's just an erotic playing, I think.

I second that,that would be an interesting read.

So do I. For me knowing the back story or source of inspiration doesn't really effect my own interpretation of a song which can be multiple if a song really interests me. I really enjoy a creative process explained

who is "he" if i may ask?
i think we agree that it's definetely NOT morrissey. we both know, you and i, that the author is NOT the narrative voice. this is called art.
the question is "who speaks?"

I agree. The author is not the narrative voice.
It is like in a novel. The author creates a personage. It is art.
But than again would Morrissey use or not use his own experiences and emotions, just like he uses his imagination to create the personage?
And the personage is used to express his feelings and make contact with his audience.
I mean on a individual basis. One on one.
He sings to his audience as if it were one person.
A person he loves and hate and has a deep relation with.

So, Morrissey tells tall tales sometimes and twists the truth. Sometimes i would rather just believe the lies and be none the wiser.

No, not really. Only as you said in an artistic kind of way. Not him as a person. But if you, like me, are interested in an artist like Morrissey or writers or painters you tend to be curious and every snippet of information is being absorbed.

I like the way you express your viewpoint and I absolutely see the relation to the song. Rationally.
I have to say I don't have any of the experiences you described.
So the question remains as to how far I can identify. Don't want to pretend to say I know how it feels because I don't. But at least I can try to get as close as possible. To feel empathy.

I now have to reconsider the meaning of the song and accept there can be a gruesome, horrible meaning to it as well.

Thank you for pointing it out to me in a very good way.
You ARE a writer.

"Your voice might say no... it cannot be given, and so it must be taken" etc. It's always seemed to be fairly clear to me that it was about someone being raped - obviously everything is pen to interpretation, and secondary meanings, but I'm frankly surprised what seems to me the most obvious reading hasn't even been noticed by some people.

"Your voice might say no... it cannot be given, and so it must be taken" etc. It's always seemed to be fairly clear to me that it was about someone being raped - obviously everything is pen to interpretation, and secondary meanings, but I'm frankly surprised what seems to me the most obvious reading hasn't even been noticed by some people.

But the heart has a will of it's own.
Please don't suggest that I imply that if someone says no you don't have to listen.
That is not what I mean.
It's only because of this sentence I got the impression the song was about two lovers having a relation, knowing each other, loving each other and playing their erotic love game.
And the music gives me that impression too.
But as I already said, the other interpretation is just as possible.
Typical Moz, I think, but I might be wrong.
Is Moz really trying to express the feelings of a dominating and brutal reaper?
I'm just asking.

Back
Top Bottom