Jack The Ripper (Studio Version)

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
It's amazing how much the studio recorded version of Jack The Ripper (located on the Certain People I Know single) sucks ass in comparison to the more widely-available live version on World Of Morrissey, etc.

What is your opinion of the studio-recorded version of Jack The Ripper?

I love it. But then, I haven't heard the live version on either the 'Beethoven Was Deaf' record, or 'World of Morrissey'.

I think it would have made a great opener to anyone of his albums.

i like it either way.... its a really good song!

It really had a makeover once performed live! New guitar intro, lacking a lot of the original version's lyrics...

It just doesn't really have the power, or oompf that, for instance, the Manchester DVD version has (which seems to be the only version of the song that he sings).

I love the studio version. It might lack a bit of the oomph of the live version, but it drips with atmosphere, and there's an intimacy to Moz's vocals which works wonderfully. When I listen to it I can almost see a darkened Victorian alleyway, and the screeching guitar sounds like a woman screeming. I love the final verse, too - the chilling freedom the protagonist has.

The studio version is fantastic. The live version is superior, of course, but the studio version has this amazing atmsophere and feel to it that the live version doesn't, but the live version has its own feel and character though.

Back
Top Bottom