Jesus of Nazareth, known as "J-dogg" by some

What is your opinion of Jesus?

• Total voters
Jesus was a Jewish male so, if he did exist, I think it is highly likely he was married. And had children.

That doesn’t really work, though, because if Jesus existed, we know a little more about him than just the fact of him being a Jewish male. Given the ubiquity of marriage and children, it’s notable that a wife and children of Jesus are never mentioned, making it less likely that he was married. It’s not as if the gospels completely disregard his personal life and family. We know about his father, mother, brother, and friends. We incidentally learn that Peter, who is not even the main character in the gospels, is married. Almost certainly Jesus’ own wife and children would have been included if there were any.

His first 'miracle' in the canonical Gospels, if you believe such things, was to turn water into wine at a marriage ceremony. I'm not sure if he had such a dim view of lust and procreation as you suggest.

Some are incapable of marriage (literally, “eunuchs”) because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it.
You have heard that it was said, “You shall not commit adultery.” But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Not exactly ringing endorsements of sex, lust, and procreation. J-dogg was definitely going against Jewish convention on this one.

Indeed! The evil snake - I like that. And please don't say, "I'm sure you do!"
5oxEi6.gif

See Russell rattle off a J-Dogg ad 6:45 into a high-octane commentary on scandals of the day -

Sorry for the late reply, goinghome, but I just watched this. Has Russell Brand become a Christian now, or what? I don't know, he seems to be suppressing a laugh. "Jesus was my body double!" It's hard to tell if he's being serious, or just being paid by the advertiser for his endorsement. "I know the whole Rosary by heart—well, except for that end bit." That's funny. He sounds like some cautious would-be Catholic convert out of Evelyn Waugh. This ad is actually more amusing than his regular content.

I think Russell has become seriously interested in Christianity in recent times, after many years of enthusiastic spiritual exploration and seeking, and many years of recovery in the 12 step programme. He is praying daily, saying the rosary, fasting, really getting into it all, particularly Catholicism I think. He reads widely on the subject and also uses an app called Hallow which seems a good resource for anyone interested. He seems to be finding it all relevant, cathartic and inspiring. Quite a turnaround from how he used to be perhaps, but he has all his life been driven to explore and discover new paths.

I think Russell has become seriously interested in Christianity in recent times, after many years of enthusiastic spiritual exploration and seeking, and many years of recovery in the 12 step programme. He is praying daily, saying the rosary, fasting, really getting into it all, particularly Catholicism I think. He reads widely on the subject and also uses an app called Hallow which seems a good resource for anyone interested. He seems to be finding it all relevant, cathartic and inspiring. Quite a turnaround from how he used to be perhaps, but he has all his life been driven to explore and discover new paths.

Yes, you're right, this does not seem to be just a paid endorsement of Hallow. I mean, I'm sure they're paying him, but apparently he's in it for more than the money:

Nick Cave, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and now Russell Brand. The trend continues.

@nicky wire's legs could go either way on this. If Russell Brand becomes a Christian, will it make him more of a "sexy Jesus sex god" than he already is, or will his becoming a Catholic make him a papalotrous loser Christian, and therefore less sexy?

That doesn’t really work, though, because if Jesus existed, we know a little more about him than just the fact of him being a Jewish male. Given the ubiquity of marriage and children, it’s notable that a wife and children of Jesus are never mentioned, making it less likely that he was married. It’s not as if the gospels completely disregard his personal life and family. We know about his father, mother, brother, and friends. We incidentally learn that Peter, who is not even the main character in the gospels, is married. Almost certainly Jesus’ own wife and children would have been included if there were any.

Some are incapable of marriage (literally, “eunuchs”) because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it.
You have heard that it was said, “You shall not commit adultery.” But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Not exactly ringing endorsements of sex, lust, and procreation. J-dogg was definitely going against Jewish convention on this one.
Yes, but it is also notable that not being married is not mentioned, in the canonical Gospels, at least. A Jewish man at that time not being married would have been considered scandalous. It is therefore strange that it is not mentioned, and justified. Some Essene sects may have practised some form or celibacy, but celibacy is very much not approved of and condemned in Judaism, as it is in Islam.
Whereas celibacy was very common for the priests and priestesses of various gods and goddesses in the pagan world. For the Vestal Virgins in Rome, which in many ways were the forerunner of Catholic nuns, breach of their oath of celibacy was punishable by being buried alive.
The Jesus quote about looking at a woman could be interpreted in many ways. Perhaps it is similar to the story where he stopped a woman being stoned to death for adultery? He that is without sin, and all that.

@nicky wire's legs could go either way on this. If Russell Brand becomes a Christian, will it make him more of a "sexy Jesus sex god" than he already is, or will his becoming a Catholic make him a papalotrous loser Christian, and therefore less sexy?
Is he going to become a Christian?! Does it have to be a catholic specifically? 🤔

Men of God are ALWAYS hot. I could see russell brand as a Jesus for the new millennium :love:

Is he going to become a Christian?! Does it have to be a catholic specifically? 🤔

According to a Twitter video he made, his heart is "open to Christ" as God who dwells within him, which sounds a lot like a convert in the making to me, so I'm going to predict: yes, he will become a Christian. Unfortunately, the only person on here who will probably join me in cynically thinking this is Brand pulling a Petersonista/"trad" grift is Malarkey.

He does seem to be specifically interested in Catholicism. He has a Catholic prayer app and prays the Rosary.

Yes, but it is also notable that not being married is not mentioned, in the canonical Gospels, at least. A Jewish man at that time not being married would have been considered scandalous. It is therefore strange that it is not mentioned, and justified. Some Essene sects may have practised some form or celibacy, but celibacy is very much not approved of and condemned in Judaism, as it is in Islam.

Hmm, I don’t know why we should expect a justification for his celibacy in the gospels. Why would they bother? From the Jewish point of view, it’s one of the least scandalous things about him, considering all the other stuff, much of which ranges into the kind of blasphemy the priests and scribes always wanted to stone him for. Claiming to be the Messiah, co-equality with God, pre-existing Abraham, promising to destroy the temple, commanding people to eat his flesh and drink his blood—Jesus’ marital status would’ve scarcely rated on the list of anyone’s concerns. He doesn’t make it a habit to apologize for his offenses to Jewish sensibilities either. It’s usually just a gnomic “he who has ears to hear, let him hear” or a provocative “does this offend you?” Jesus was a loony; he didn’t scruple to justify himself. He was the way, the truth, and the life, and you could take that or you could leave it.

Some Essene sects may have practised some form or celibacy, but celibacy is very much not approved of and condemned in Judaism, as it is in Islam.

A Messiah cult almost by its nature and existence doesn’t conform. You see the same pattern with Shabbatai Zevi. Everything (tradition, law, norms, hierarchy, &c.) becomes subsumed by the person. J-dogg was giving “new commandments” according to his own peculiar whims. It doesn’t get more disapproved of and condemned than that.

Last edited:
According to a Twitter video he made, his heart is "open to Christ" as God who dwells within him, which sounds a lot like a convert in the making to me, so I'm going to predict: yes, he will become a Christian. Unfortunately, the only person on here who will probably join me in cynically thinking this is Brand pulling a Petersonista/"trad" grift is Malarkey.

He does seem to be specifically interested in Catholicism. He has a Catholic prayer app and prays the Rosary.
For the record, I also think Brand is phoney.

The only time he was honest, was when he recounted being cruel to the family dog when he was a kid.

That's great news!! 👍 I always liked the lil scamp!

He loved planting his lips on the birds, eh? Dirty dog. Probably blew the odd cock, too. 40 days in the desert will drive a man to do all sorts of things.
Jesus was remarkably quiet on the man on man sex front. Some have even suggested he was gay. As well as the rather strange 'naked youth' reference in the Gospel of Mark, there is also the miracle of the centurion's 'servant'. The Greek word used in the original text can be translated as both 'boy' and 'servant', and even 'boy-lover'. And as we all know Jesus hung out with 12 men. And was betrayed with a kiss.

Jesus was remarkably quiet on the man on man sex front. Some have even suggested he was gay. As well as the rather strange 'naked youth' reference in the Gospel of Mark, there is also the miracle of the centurion's 'servant'. The Greek word used in the original text can be translated as both 'boy' and 'servant', and even 'boy-lover'. And as we all know Jesus hung out with 12 men. And was betrayed with a kiss.

Let us not forget, Christopher Marlowe held the unpopular opinion that Jesus was gay. He was even charged with blasphemy for saying "that St. John the Evangelist was bedfellow to Christ and leaned always in his bosom; that he used him as the sinners of Sodoma." A warrant was out for his arrest when he was killed. I wonder if this is the kind of thing Douglas Murray has in mind when he says the Church of England should stop being so woke and tender, and get back to her more muscular, traditional teachings.

I like to think of Jesus as being an unbearably camp bitch.

Tags
christianity edith sitwell jesus religion
Back
Top Bottom