Jim Kerr - Morrissey should have done "Don't You Forget About Me"

Glenn writes:

Simple Minds frontman Jim Kerr has stated that it should have been Morrissey who recorded the group's legendary song Don't You (Forget About Me).

Simple Minds on 'Don't You (Forget About Me)': Morrissey should have done it - Digital Spy

Excerpt:

"It was great fun, and then we met John and apart from the whole movies thing, he was such a music fan. Strangely enough he was such an English music fan - Psychedelic Furs and The Cure and Morrissey.

"In fact the other day I was thinking it was really Morrissey that should have done 'Don't You (Forget About Me)'. On his death bed, he would never do it, but that kind of lyric... It wasn't really a Simple Minds thing.

"But musically I think when you hear it coming on the radio, I think we put our Simple Minds heart into it. It'll never be one of ours, but in a way it's a song that belongs to everybody now. It's not bad to have one of them either."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong Jim ! Morrissey should have recorded "Don't you listen to me" Hey hey hey hey, Oohhh o oohhh o oohhh.

Benny-the-Butcher

I had been a fan of Simple Minds (ironically I'd sold my Lyceum ticket for a chance to see the Smiths at the Electric Ballroom, Camden, in December '83) and when this song came out, I remember thinking "wow, even they've jumped on the Smiths bandwagon". It's nice to feel vindicated in my change/choice of allegiance, 30 years after the event.
Finally caught up with the 'Minds on their 5 x 5 tour (down the road at the Roundhouse) and they were brilliant, by the way. Still rather see Moz though - on a good day.

Hey, hey, hey ,hey
Ohhh...

Blah Blah Blah

I say:
La la la...

IN YOUR DREAMS JIM!

It's not really in his key, plus it was written for Billy Idol anyway from what I've read.

The one thing I take away from The Breakfast Club is Ally Sheedy making it snow her dandruff. I'm glad Moz's voice isn't tied to that cinematic memory. :D

1 song is there to cover IMHO from the Simple Minds, their 'New Gold Dream' album' for Morrissey

big sleep

'and they say he's mentall' also in 81, 82 , 83 , 84

Well John Hughes did have a Smiths fixation, so maybe that's what he meant. Then again, Hughes's taste extended to almost anything British and what Americans call "New Wave. I believe Nik Kershaw was featured in one film.

Simple minds are crap, but a very aptly named group. I doubt Moz would be able to find a single molecule in common with them. On the other hand I have a soft spot for Nik Kershaw.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom