Johnny Marr at Salford Uni

Then I got lucky and was able to ask a question - I asked about his playing style in early to mid Smiths, particularly his picking on Girl Afraid and This Charming Man, also referencing the uncommon tuning on The Headmaster Ritual. I asked if it was a conscious style, or if it was the result of other influences. He said "Good question", and went on to explain how his style was the result of starting with a full post-punk palette, and jettisoning influences until he was left with his own style.

He is indeed a top, top bloke. I will never forget this evening.

Peter
Fantastic! Thanks to all for reporting back! :) Hope to see photos and hear the lecture. Wish I had been there.

Take A Walk On The Wild Out-Side

ALWAYS FROM THE OUTSIDE:
MAVERICKS, INNOVATORS AND BUILDING YOUR OWN ARK

The lecture in a nutshell & in his own words:

"My journalist radar is on. There are [pause] 11 journalists."
(Asks them to not nitpick.)
"I've got the mic. I'm the professor."
"We literally rocked the building. My guitar playing did that." (About Salford 1986 gig)
"I'm not a cynic [however there are no innovators in the British music industry]."
[My first outsider object:] Spiral Scratch.
[Manchester punks were] "fast and unadorned".
"[People] think the music industry is a place."
"There is no doorway."
Talks about managers/label bosses with an outsider agenda.
"Just concentrate on being great. Stay in your own ark."
About Smiths: EMI offer didn't work; Rough Trade & John Peel did.
"Define yourself by what you're against."
Why do it? "For other outsiders."
Rule of thumb number 1: Make music for your friends.
Rule of thumb number 2: Make sure your friends have good taste.
"Take a walk on the wild out-side".

Splendid fellow (sorry: Professor). Wanted to ask whether he minded what we do, but I think I already know the answer. And anyway, it was beside the point.

:cool:
I'm throwing my arms around Johnny
2m3jqjn.jpg

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
great photo, how do i upload mine??cheers

I am absolutely gutted, my stupid and unreliable car completely let me down. As I was driving up from Nottingham it was too later to even get a train. :(:(:(:(:(:( I bloody hate cars. It sounds like it was a good night. Hopefully he'll do one again.

A lovely boy. He was good to me and agreed with Morrissey that Gertrude should be unbanned.
So if I can get hold of Rourke and Joyce we'll soon have the whole lawnmower on our side.

Last edited:
great photo, how do i upload mine??cheers
just click on the attach file button its in the section down there when you post a reply
and upload it from your desktop/usb-stick
if you dont have photobucket;)

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom